Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have Kempf playing the Bags somewhere. I have this as well with WK. I can't say it is my fave set of the Sonatas though.

[​IMG]

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Maurizio Pollini - Webern/Boulez (DG) German pressing, probably 1980s pressing.
    This is almost Cecil Taylor for the classical world.

bluemooze, crispi and Marzz like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

In listening to this a little more closely than usual, I noticed AR hits quite few duds in the 3rd movement of the Liszt Concerto. Still a great recording though and he really takes off in the final movement.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Slowly working my way through the Dvorák symphonies this month. Tonight playing Symphony No.6 in D major, with the Hungarian born István Kertész conducting the London Symphony Orchestra. LP released on London (and Decca) records in 1966.

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just found 2 more and they are not even part of some big boxes ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have the Firkusny version by way of the William Steinberg Icon box. It is just very difficult to know what you have in these big boxes, i.e. those with at least 10 CD's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. Rose River Bear

This disc is one of my all time favorites.

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

I have a few volumes but did not buy the whole shebang ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Since I'm reading the massive new Harvey Sachs biography of Toscanini, I thought I'd play this one, bought in Tallahassee years ago. As usual, crisp performances, and the sound isn't bad.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    ubertrout, bluemooze and Mowgli like this.
  9. coopmv

BTW, many of the CD track listings on Amazon are completely worthless. For a number of big boxes, I see items like "Piano Concerto No. 1" where the name of the composer is not even listed. The same thing happens with many Concerti Grossi, is it by Corelli, Handel, Avison? :thumbsdow

10. coopmv

I learned about István Kertész kind of late to have any of his LP's and as such all his Dvorak Symphonies are just in the following Decca box ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

My understanding is a trilogy Blue-ray package has been released ...

12. Rose River Bear

I think I have around six volumes. I wish I had the complete set.

13. coopmv

I think I have 2 or 3 volumes - works for Cello and Violin, etc since I already had many Piano and Symphonies. There would have been major duplicates for me ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

I have the Works for Cello and Violin as well. Great set. I have this one that has a lot of oddball works on it.

• [​IMG]

dmleman and bluemooze like this.
  15. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I knew I recognized that name. He also wrote this - The Ninth: Beethoven and the World in 1824 - Harvey Sachs
    1824 was dry but still interesting. How do you like his Toscanini book?

I enjoy Jan Swaffords' writing so his ginormous LvB book was a treat.
    https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Anguish-Triumph-Jan-Swafford/dp/061805474X
    I'm reading Language Of The Spirit now and he hasn't lost his touch.
    LOTS is an intro to classical music book though.

16. Mowgli

Amazon is funny. They change price a few cents so items get noticed. Who do they think they're fooling?
    When M225 dropped from $450 to $280 was a challenge but a few cents now & then is a transparent ploy.
    I keep a lot of things in there for entertainment purposes. I have enough music and don't need to buy any more. o_O

$21.52 to $21.51 - Ahah! That's the killer deal I was waiting for!
    [​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Jean-Philippe Collard Ravel l'œuvre pour piano (EMI) 3 lp box

NP Janos Starker, Shigeo Neriki - Virtuoso For Violoncello by Cassado, Schubert, Chopin (Denon)

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Mowgli

My OT post for today

Trinity College Library in Dublin, Ireland. "Of all things, I liked books best.” - Nikola Tesla
    It was on the NT FB feed. Not bad but I'm more inclined to agree with Edward Abbey.
    "Life without music would be an intolerable insult." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, Marzz, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I have this as a 5LP set from the early 1980s on Philips. It’s the same recording.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I cannot help but wonder if once you get a critical mass of opinion forming it becomes a feeding frenzy as the advocates of one approach feel they have denigrate another even if that other approach can be considered to be just as valid to make their point.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "la bele marie - Songs to the Virgin from 13th-century France" by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

22. bluemooze

Speaking of audiophilia, it was brought up recently how rare classical music listeners are. I don't personally know a single one in my offline life. But that's also true for people whose pleasure it is to sit down and listen to music of any kind. I'm the only person I know that has a nice stereo system. Nothing better than sitting in the sweet spot, listening to a beautifully reproduced stereo image. Tweaking the system, swapping cartridges, seeking out the best sounding versions of recordings, and enjoying the fruits of my labor is my hobby. Or, I could get a life. ;)

23. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I know the feeling. I have these performances in the Mozart Masterpieces discs I bought in 1991 and play them whenever I want a rest from the Symphonies.

bigstar87, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Anthony Holborne - Pavans & Galliards 1599" performed by The Guildhall Waits & The Consort of Musicke on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

dmleman, Eigenvector, Mowgli and 3 others like this.
  25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Just yesterday I was listening for the first time to Mozart's Violin Sonatas as played by Willi Boskowsky and Lili Kraus on this EMI Références reissue.

[​IMG]

I was especially impressed by the early ones, from when Mozart was still very young, like K. 6 and K. 27. There is a lyricism present here that I haven't heard in Mozart before.
    There is subtle digital stereo ambiance added to these discs, to which I usually protest, but the center channel is a pure transfer of the mid-50s mono tapes, with plenty of tape hiss. I will definitely get these on LP if I can find them.

EDIT: I've seen some of you play the Lili Kraus ERATO set. I assume these are on there. Did they remaster them in proper mono or does that box just rehash these earlier remasterings?

Mowgli, mdekoning, Wes H and 2 others like this.