Freestanding Phono Stage - do I need one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Blue Jeans Cable and other similar top quality cable makers use very good quality Belden wire that has excellent shielding and an excellent conductor and excellent connectors. The Blue Jeans stereo audio interconnects are assembled using cold-welded connections. Their LC-1 stereo audio interconnect ranges from $35-$50 depending on length. What you get with Blue Jeans cable is great conductivity, low capacitance, low inductance and great shielding. There are other cable makers doing similarly well, using the same high quality Belden wire, assembling similar quality cables at similar prices.

2. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I use the Chord C-Line....happy with them(word of warning,there are many many "fake" Chord cables on Ebay and the like),make sure you get them from a dealer!

Porkpie likes this.
  3. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Would a separate phono stage improve the sound of my Pioneer SX N30 unit. I am upgrading my Audio Technica Turntable probably going for an RP3 or 6. I will also be upgrading my small Wharfedale 210 to a pair of ProAc Tab 10s which I know will definitely offer better sound. Will a sepetate phono stage add the icing to the cake or do I need to invest in a better receiver. The N30 offers networking capability which is something I need so any amp upgrade would have to have this facility too.

4. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Yes emjel, you should hear the same benefits as the OP....

5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You can "get away" with cheaper yet.

6. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Thanks. Would you recommend the same Phono unit with the Pioneer. And do you think the new RP6 would be okay or overkill. This would effectively be a onetime upgrade.

7. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Improving your source is always the place to start,imo.A RP6 would definitely NOT be overkill- quite the contrary. The idea is to mach the phono preamp to your turntable, the cartridge in particular . The power amplifier plays a less important role. Rega's new Fono is getting great feedback - I have not heard it. I do have experience with the Lounge Audio and think it would be a great match with the RP6 with a nice MM cartridge. I would concentrate on the TT and speakers for now and leave the amp as is. Good luck!
    ATB,
    Mark

bluemooze likes this.
  8. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Thanks Mark. If I go with the RP6, which is highly likely, I’ll probably run with the pre-installed cartridge - not sure if that will be the MM one or the MC one, which is gettting some great reviews. Need to factor in the phono preamp to the budget.

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I love the RP6 - I think it’s the sweet spot in the Rega turntable line, with the RP3 (and particularly the new Planar 3 nipping at its heels). I’ve used the stock RP6 w/Exact 2 and I’ve used an extensively upgraded RP6 (Groovetracer subplatter and ceramic bearing, upgraded drive belt, Rega tungsten counterweight, Dynavector Karat 17D3 MC cartridge) feeding a number of different phono stages including the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2, Graham Slee Revelation M, Whest TWO, Whest P3, Trichord Diablo, Rega Fono M, Rega Aria, Sutherland Insight, and the Vincent Audio PHO 8. My current turntable setup is the customized RP6 mentioned above.

For those with deeper wallets, I personally recommend the Trichord Diablo. It’s superb. It’s reference grade, AFAIC. Whatever the cartridge and RB303 (or the newest RB330) tonearm can pick up, the Diablo amplifies and sends perfectly to whatever preamp or integrated amp or receiver you’re using.

On the budget price end of things (but by no means merely budget quality) the Vincent PHO 8 is very hard to beat. It’s astonishingly good at $400. It would be astonishingly good, IMO, at literally twice the price. Today, I’d personally put it up against anything under a thousand dollars. Vincent Audio has done a wonderful job with this phono preamp.

As always, phono preamps should be auditioned whenever possible, but I don’t think you can go wrong with either recommendation. Budget dictates choice for all of us, and the great things we have today are superb choices at almost every budget level.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'll second everything said about the Vincent PHO8, except it isn't $400- it is $299.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Dealers will only recommend what they have. You won't go far wrong with a Rega Fono MM or the MF V90. Also suggest NVA Phono 1 available on Ebay (30 day trial or return). All will sound different but those suggested will be a significant step up. The NVA will sound best having a proper toroidal power supply and is far cheaper for the quality than retail product being direct sell and VAT free.

Nihil Sleighride likes this.
  12. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Get a Lounge Audio LCR MK3. Your heart will be full of joy.

SandAndGlass and bluemooze like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've not seen anyone raving about the Lounge that compared it to something more expensive rather than budget models and inbuilt stages. It isn't the same apparent 'bargain' at UK prices.

14. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

The Pro-Ject Phono Box DS2 USB looks very interesting especially as it can deal with both MM and MC cartridges and also offers a USB output which would enable me to record all my vinyl singles too and complete my albums. Need to investigate more at my local dealer.

Prism likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Rega Fono MM arrived! Slight issue though with storage because of the cable lenghts from the TT - my choices are either to stand it on top of the Marantz Amp using some isolation feet for air to pass around the units or to stand it on its side. Neither is ideal, which would be the better of the two options?

16. Porkpie

I need to add that I’m playing ZZ Top’s Tres Hombres and it sounds fantastic. The bass in particular, glad I posed the question here!

17. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Last week, my mom wanted me to connect her TT to her receiver, but the TT cables were only about two feet long, which was not long enough to reach the receiver. So, I bought a set of RCA "couplers" at BB and an additional interconnect cable. I also had to buy some light gauge insulated wire to extend the ground cable. The couplers and RCA cables were cheap stuff, but it worked pretty well for her very "low-fi" system.

18. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

If possible, the turntable should be as far away from the power supplies as possible, so turntable far right, Fono on the left side of turntable away from cartridge, and then power amp farther away from both. I wouldn't put the Fono near the power amp. Try to plug them all into the same box if you can, keeping power and signal cables separated, but if not, turntable and Fono in one outlet, rest of the stuff in other outlet. At least for a start. You don't know what a problem noise can be until it's gone.

19. Porkpie

[​IMG]

This is how I have it set up atm. I’m not happy placing the Fono on top of the amp. I could actually build a shelf behind the top of the unit so in effect extend it backwards and put the Fono on that. Plug wise, all 4 pieces of equipment are plugged into one long gang.

20. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I ordered mine from USA about 18 months ago and even after import duty and P&P it worked out £100 cheaper than buying in UK. The exchange rate was a bit more favourable then though :rolleyes:

21. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Get it off of the amp...placing in the rear of the TT would be fine.
    So are you happy that you invested in a dedicated phono stage?

22. Porkpie

Yes, it sounds great (only played a couple albums). Am going to make a small side shelf tomorrow for it

mtrot and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Awesome :edthumbs:!

24. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Nice! Thanks for the idea. I was just trying to figure out where in the world I would put a phono pre-amp in my current setup. There's actually no room in the equipment stand. But I may be able to attach some sort of shelf to the back wall behind the stand.

25. Porkpie

We have a lot of wooden/vintage style furniture in our living room so I’m also considering buying a solid, sturdy rectangular crate and standing it length-ways up with the Fono on top. I’ll sort it tomorrow and upload a photo.

mtrot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.