Best Sounding Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music Compilations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rangerjohn, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Thanks. Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the EBay trigger on a copy yesterday for 40EUR. I'd been waiting 6 months and nothing cheaper had come along (there's a copy on Discogs but it isn't genuine - I bought and returned it 3 months ago and the dishonest seller is re advertising it).

2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

What other Roxy/Ferry cd-versions are recommended? Besides the Ludwig-mastered Avalon and Flesh And Blood I've got the original s/t and the Platinum Collection.

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My introduction to Roxy Music was the More Than This compilation. I listened to it a lot and enjoyed it. I still like the versions of Angel Eyes and Dance Away from this comp.

Carlox likes this.
  4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

There was a well regarded flat transfer box set of the studio albums back in 2012. It’s out of print and prices are rising. I’m still sticking with my early issue West German Polydor EG copies. If you’re into surround sound, there’s a Steve Wilson remix of the self debut that’s simmering on the back burner.

Happy listening, Michael

Carlox likes this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

At least these:

If There Is Something
    In Every Dreamhome A Heartache
    The In-Crowd
    Both Ends Burning
    All I Want Is You
    Tokyo Joe
    This Is Tomorrow
    Trash
    Take A Chance With Me
    Windswept
    Don't Stop The Dance

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Thanks so far, guys!

My curiosity goes quicker than any response can be posted, so I set my sights upon this EG Anniversary cd set from 1989 wich contains Roxy's first three albums and a really well-selected sampler from EG artists. I suspect those will be the same masterings as the WG's you mention?

I'll have to admit I also got the Streetlife and Ultimate Collection comps which I wanted to replace with the Platinum Collection, but having read through the posts here I might want to hang on to them. ;)

7. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Is that box set the half-speed mastered one?

8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Leaving out personal preference, and just covering the period up to the release of the original compilation (1986), there's a whole album's worth of UK singles that weren't included on the original compilation (* indicates a track that reached the top 20) -

ROXY MUSIC:
    All I Want Is You *
    Both Ends Burning
    Trash
    Take a Chance with Me

BRYAN FERRY:
    The In Crowd *
    You Go to My Head
    The Price of Love * - Lead track on the Extended Play EP, which went top 10.
    This Is Tomorrow *
    Tokyo Joe *
    What Goes On
    Carrickfergus
    Don't Stop the Dance
    Windswept
    Is Your Love Strong Enough?

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

IIRC, half speed maestros a vinyl thing. Back in 2012 the box was only CD. That may have changed, but I didn’t keep up with the thread.

You need to start reading here, Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box *

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

How could I forget...

The Price Of Love!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.