Help me build my system to match my "new" B&W Nautilus 804's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I think you would be pretty happy with that setup, and the price looks great. Just keep in mind, there will be room for improvement with both pieces. I think the quality of the amp will be good, but you may eventually wish for more headroom. Or maybe not. Maybe it will be more than enough. 125 Parasound watts is pretty good power and was more than enough for my 604's, but the Nautilus line does like lots of power. The preamp would be good for you now because it has all the features and flexibility you need. After you have lived with it a while you can decide if you want to upgrade it. There is definitely more performance available for a price (Ain't that always the truth!). The important thing is to get to a place where you can start enjoying your new speakers, and I think this package is definitely one way to achieve that.

SandAndGlass and Bananas&blow like this.
  2. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I have the a23, but not the preamp. It works really well with my Paradigm Studio 10. I got it to improve the bright sound of my Paradigm speakers and it really helps. But what exactly are you looking to get from these speakers? Better bass, larger sound field, louder?

What is currently lacking? Getting a new amp to improve what? Have you play around with speakers placement, sitting position, etc?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's been a fun thread - lots of different suggestions.

SandAndGlass and Bananas&blow like this.
  4. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I've never heard any of the Parasound Halo gear. So, I'm glad that it worked well with your Paradigm speakers. That bodes well for the OP too.

Also, your other questions, concerning what type of improvements are expected from new electronics, are very valid. Plus, it brings to mind the capabilities of the OP's Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver. Lot's of options with it, including YPAO and the Yamaha EQ features. Hopefully, the OP has tried running the room set up software, as it can be very beneficial. Then, you can use the YPAO default results, or manually tweak the EQ points. A lot to be gained, with a little effort.

pdxway likes this.
  5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

SandAndGlass and RiCat like this.
  6. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

If you are going the used route, look for Classe'.

7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Ah yes how much power do you-we need? Take a look at this..fun video

().

If you go Halo go A21. That amp was in my final 3 before I bought the Bryston.

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I don't think Parasound a23 would work if OP is looking for more powerful bass.
    If the Yamaha already sounding pretty good and OP wants better bass, I would say something from Emotiva might work too. Something like a couple of xpa-1 monoblock. :D

9. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I love helping to spend someone else's money, as it helps scratch my upgrade itches...! :agree:

Bananas&blow and pdxway like this.
  10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Or, OP can get a 2000 watts subwoofer to handle 80 Hz and below and let the Yamaha handles 80 Hz and above. :)

SquishySounds and Bananas&blow like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

Great question, I felt the bass was not as tight as it could be. Larger sound field too. They sounded good, just not jaw dropping like I expect. I thought the midrange sounded very good, Jazz instruments sounded life-like, and the treble was clear but not overly bright. Non fatiguing.

I've read up on speaker placement and have a pretty good idea of where those speakers will sound the best in my room (it is a simple rectangle). I've got them as far from the back wall as I'm comfortable with. I could play around a little more with the toe in but I think I've got it dialed in pretty well. I'm expecting an improvement once I get the Thorens hooked up.

12. Bananas&blow

Yes I've run the Odyssey set up. Is that the same thing as the YPAO? I re-ran it yesterday once I got the new speakers located correctly.

13. Bananas&blow

I had a thought about separates, the idea which is growing on me. Say the amp has RCA inputs as well as balanced XLR's. Would it be possible to use the XLR inputs from the music pre-amp and the RCA inputs from the Yamaha receiver? Effectively creating my own HT bypass. The benefit to me would be I can watch TV and mute the receiver, while running my TT through the separate pre-amp into the XLR inputs on the amp. I could run a Tube preamp and have the ss amp run the 804's.

14. Bananas&blow

For the Oppo you mean like a 105 or 205? I have a few CD's that are HDCD so I like the fact that the 105 has that capability where the 205 does not. I also have a Samsung plasma which IMO is better than any current TV so I have no need for 4k imaging.

15. Bananas&blow

Is there a reason used Classe amps are more desirable than other used amps like a Bryston or Parasound for example?

16. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I guess depends on the preamp. If preamp have ability to accept multiple inputs and have the ability to switch to different input, then only one connection from preamp to amp is needed.

17. Bananas&blow

Guess I was assuming the pre-amp did not have HT Bypass.

18. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Well Classe’ and Bryston are usually held in a little higher regard than Parasound. I think Classe’ may be a better fit for your speakers. Bryston may work if you can get sst-sst3. I am a big Bryston fan...just may match with different speakers. It’s all subjective, though.

GyroSE and Bananas&blow like this.
  19. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If you haven't sold the old pair yet, here is another thing to try to get a larger sound field and potentially harder hitting bass. Make use of your Yamaha's abilities and use the old pair as the surround speakers. My friend really like listening to stereo music using his Yamaha setup in multi channels mode. Or you can add just one speaker as the center channel.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Except for the JC-1. That was/is Parasound's best power amp and had all of John Curl's best work.

IanL and ZenMango like this.
  21. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

My only other suggestion to the OP is when replying to or considering the advice in the comment, you might ask the source if they actually have listened to and compared the gear they are talking about.

IanL and Helom like this.
  22. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I can vouch for the low end of Classé amps. I had a CA 100 at one point and felt like it produced more authoritative bass than other amps I've had in my audio stable. I think they have a bit of a rolled off treble too giving them a somewhat tube-like quality...but with prodigious bass.

Helom and Bananas&blow like this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread. My head is spinning with options. I'm going to be out of town for a week and when I get back I'll get back to amp hunting. Oppo hunting. cable hunting. I'm confident I can get the amp I want used for 2k or less. If I don't like it I'll sell it and buy another one. I very much am looking to hearing my TT through my current set up. But that requires moving my wall mounted footfall sensitive table into the other room and remounting it. I'll do that when I get back.

Helom likes this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

It all depends on what kind of pre amp you combine the Bryston power amp with, the pre amp is basically the 'heart' in the sound system and careful matching in this area is essential. The ARC LS17 and Bryston 4B SST are very musical as a pre/power amp combination and they both are a perfect match when combined with the B&W 804's IMHO.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have the XPA-2 (1st generation) and it will do 250-Watts into 8- Ohms and 400-Watts into a 4- Ohm load.

I would highly recommend this as a power amp. The thing weighs 72-lbs and is a killer amp. Huge power supply. I bought it years on a 15% off sale for $690.

If you want power and bass this power amp will provide.

Emotiva is accepting trade-in's on their new amplifier line up. You shouldn't have much of a problem purching one used or factory reconditioned. Also, their generation 2 is an option. These are traditional class A/B amps.

I have several SS amps, including two of Nelson Pass designs and eight tube amplifies.

I don't know your specific speakers, are they four or eight Ohms?

I run the XPA-2 with two different front towers for both HT and 2-channel stereo (A/B switch selectable).

The two front towers are, Zu Audio, Omen Definition's (MK I) and Polk LSiM707's. The 707's like plenty of power and the XPA-2 provides just that.

The 707's along with the XPA-2, are not in the least bit harsh and are neutral and natural sounding.

I never run tube amps with my modern day tower speakers, SS only. They sound so good, there is no need for tubes.

Your 804's may be fine with adequate SS power (meaning a lot) or they may be at their best sounding, with high powered tube equipment.

As has been suggested, Rogue makes higher power tube amps. It has been pointed out that the higher powered tube amps, not having the magic of the lowered tube amps.

While this is very true, these "bad boys" can crank out power, dynamics, bass, and a nice mid-range... WITH THE RIGHT SPEAKERS".

Sorry, my bad! Don't mean to yell, but some speakers sound better with SS and some sound better with tubes.

Often, speakers that sound good with SS, don't benefit that much (if at all), from tube amplification.

I have Rogue M-150 monoblocks, powered by KT-88's, they put out 150-WPC in the ultralinear mode.

But, I don't use them on the tower speakers, only on the legacy Altec Lansing A7, Voice of the Theater, horn loaded system.

If, the 804's do like power and tube amplification, then Rogue has some great amplifier's available at fair prices.

My recommendation, would be to watch eBay, I have seen many excellent Rogue power amps listed for under 4k.

I know, I have three of them. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.