More ruthlessness (funny pic)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I assure you that your Four is not over powering for your Dirty Weekends. I have two sets of tower speakers on each side on a 65" curved TV.

I drive the 101-dB efficient Omen Definitions with the same power amplifier that I use, when I switch over to the Polk LSiM 707's. The amplifier is a SS Emotiva XPA-2, rated at 250-watts into 8-Ohms.

I'm sure that you could use a 300B SET to power them, but your PrimaLuna Prologue Fours, are a dandy match for your Zu's, which has a 97-dB sensitivity.

The Altec A7's are 103-dB efficient, making them 6-dB's more efficient than the Dirty Weekend's and my Prologue Five, at 36-watts, has everything it it takes to drive the A7's louder than I will ever need to go.

While I can drive the A7's with my little 3.9-Watt Decware Mini Torii, I can also drive them with the Rogue M-150 monoblocks.

I would be given to imagine that the Omen Definition's will also put out more dB's than the Dirty Weekend's, at the same given power level, owing to the fact that there are two full range drivers, as opposed to the single driver Dirty Weekends.

Zu's don't have to have a lot of power, but they like and can handle a lot of power.

The 35-Watt EL34 powered Four, will provide you with a level of power that will bring lifelike dynamics to the DW's.

When you start going to a 300B at 8-Watts, It might sound really nice, but I doubt that you will get anywhere near the dynamic's, that you will using the Four.

Once you get your preamp issues sorted out, then you can really sit down and give them a proper listen.

Good luck!

2. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG]
    Actually on this website people would be thrilled to have another piece of gear to obsess about.

billnunan, timind, Rickchick and 5 others like this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

That system is in my bedroom. I have no need for
    a lot of power. In fact, most of my listening in the bedroom is at low to moderate levels. 35 watt is simply redundant, for the most part, I think. It would probably do a more fitting job driving my Wharfedale Diamond 10.7's in the living room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I just love those Rodriguez cartoons! Has anyone come across the one with a guy hooking up his "Glenn Gould hum filter" online? I've searched to no avail.

Eigenvector likes this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

6. gregorya

7. gregorya

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There's a Rodriguez cartoon I've been unable to find online. It shows the storefront of an audio store, there's an exotic looking speaker in the display window, with a sign that reads "It's Here - The Perfect Loudspeaker!" And the shop keeper is kicking the rest of his speaker inventory out the front door and onto the curb.

billnunan likes this.
  9. gregorya

10. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Ha!

[​IMG]

billnunan, Rickchick, tootull and 5 others like this.
  11. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

12. ThinWhiteDuke

13. ThinWhiteDuke

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Thanks!

Otlset likes this.
  15. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I cannot find an image, but, my favorite cartoon was done by Rodrigues, as is the case with a number shown in this thread. It depicts a man staring at an advertising poster. The poster has a woman leaning on a speaker. You see in his thought bubble that the man is mentally undressing the speaker (imagining the drivers behind the grill cloth).

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Whatever works best for your listening experience.

I would be curious which set of speakers will sound the best with the PrimaLuna.

My guess is that the Kef's will bring more to the table with the PrimaLuna.

I'm going to hook up my Omen Definition's to the Five and have a listen.

17. Otlset

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

19. tootull

20. Otlset

21. tootull

22. Otlset

23. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    "...lllaaaame... not even a sibilance section..."

Grant, tootull, nosliw and 4 others like this.
  24. Otlset

[​IMG]

"Wow! Those NOS tubes really do make a difference!"

Rickchick, BigGame, Grant and 6 others like this.
  25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

I though of the Kef Q900's once, but they're too close spec-wise to my Wharfedale Diamond 10.7's, which are now "in storage", so to speak, due to being a bit boomy for my smallish room. Got the good old PSB Image T-45's hooked up in the living room, front ported - no boom. Sound is not as "big" as the Wharfedale's produce, but lack of annoying boom is a consolation.

BTW, it's decided - the tube preamp is history, I'm returning it. Thinking of replacing it with Cary Audio SL-100, solid state design voiced to sound like tubes. Now also back to the old headache - choosing a phono for my RoK Rondine, that now is "ophaned" again. The tube preamp had a built-in phono and it sounded sweet. The Cary unit does not have one.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.