This is Us : New NBC drama starring Mandy Moore etc.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Chrissy Metz's character is more than her weight, but when you are that weight it does affect most aspects of your daily life and growing up can be brutal. I am amazed that today there is a TV show with a big girl in it where she is not made fun of for her size and treats being big with respect and understanding of how difficult it can be. And they picked a good-looking big girl, too!

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Personally I hate the show and would love to see it get cancelled.

I have my reasons.

3. BluesOvertookMe

:cry:

MikaelaArsenault and GodShifter like this.
  4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I feel like the show sold her as first and foremost a heavy woman, and any of the back story of her as a child was weight based. Admittedly that's all from watching the episodes at the time of airing, no re-watches.

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:ignore:

7. BluesOvertookMe

Growing up as a heavy kid, girl especially, can be traumatic they way kids treat you. The pool episode played very real.

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Wow. I don’t think I breathed at all during that final minute or two. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go curl up into the fetal position under some blankets.

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

None of you watched the season premiere?

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It's on the DVR, will get to it during the next few days. Not certain my back will allow a fetal position;)

AKA likes this.
  11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That’s okay. Just make sure you have your shrink on speed dial before you start the episode.

forthlin likes this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

kwadguy likes this.
  13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

There are a few shows my wife & I watch together & this was one of them. I suffered through all of season one & kept my opinion to myself. I walked into the room yesterday & noticed she was watching the new episode of season two. I guess she had forgotten that this was one of "our" shows. I stayed quiet about it & celebrated silently.

14. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Wow, that season premiere was very emotional! (the last 2 mins really). I'm really wondering how Jack died though, because I'm thinking there is much more to it then the house fire. There's most like a few more twists.

For instance, Rebecca has his belongings in the car, but they are not charred. Kate was holding a dog, why is that important? Kevin is with a girl but he has a cast on his leg. Again, what's the significance of this? And Kate said she caused her dad's death, did she start the fire? Did Jack run in to save her or her dog?

Man, so many questions!

jriems likes this.
  15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It's not a perfect show, but my wife and I enjoy watching it together. The fill-in-the-blanks backstory is presented very interestingly, showing only bits and pieces of what happens to Jack. Unfortunately, this will be one of those shows that's a great first-watch, but won't be very re-watchable due to the mysteries getting revealed. Once we get the whole picture, that's it.

One thing that bugs me is Mandy Moore's "resting b*tch face." She always looks like she's frowning.

16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Funny you should mention that...

17. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Aside from the wig, there is nothing about her present day character that makes me believe she is playing a 60ish year old lady.

18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I never thought I’d hear Billy Joel’s “Why Judy Why” (or anything from Cold Spring Harbor, for that matter) in a movie or TV show, yet here we are.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, that was surprising...Actually, the music director for the show has very good taste...

AKA likes this.
  20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yeah. I loved "Madman Across the Water" in last week's episode.

jriems and RoyalScam like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I saw it

22. pool_of_tears

Yeah, that was cool

23. pool_of_tears

Well, now that we’ve got that outta the way...you’re free to go.

jriems and RoyalScam like this.
  24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Maybe...but an odd choice given that they were likely dating circa 1978-79 (the kids were born in 1980). The Cold Spring Harbor album was in short supply then. Something from 52nd Street or even The Stranger would've made more sense in that scene, IMO. I'm sure few people got the "Billy" dialog reference with "Why Judy Why" playing in the background.

25. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Why spoil it for the millions who do like the show?
    You can just not watch it instead of wanting it cancelled?

This is a weird stance to take.

It sounds like a co-worker who after eating 2 free tacos from a BBQ joint, said he didn't like the tacos and wished the place to go out of business. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.