A surprise while fiddling around on the am dial in my car...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by varispeed, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varispeed

varispeed what if? Thread Starter

1260 am. Expansive oldies stuff. Nice and scratchy and fading in/out like good am radio stations are supposed to do. Makes all the records sound like they did when they were new :)

2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Our station like that went away a few years back- i mean they totally were playing cds/music files in stereo but yea when "Be My Baby" came on or even like "Daniel" by Elton, they all sounded real warm- my friend once set up an extra-low power AM freqency in his house with a little eqipment, so you can play the music of your choice on the cd player/computer, but listen to it on one of the AM radios strewn about the house.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Ok, I’ll check it out.
    [​IMG]

4. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

man..yeah..growin' up with transistor radios and late nights and back of the car AM....those days........on this forum, there's probably a fair number of folks who truly remember.........that's kinda cool......of course..back then, there was no "K-SURF" or "50's & 60's" advertisements......we were just listening to our radio stations..if we were lucky..we'd have 3..maybe 4......stations in our city........i was happy to have KRLA, KFWB and later on KHJ......for the transistors and car radios....

5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yep.. i know that site..i use it to make my cassette tapes of the LA radio songs...i'm up to 1963 now...great site....one of the nice things about the internet.....weekly playlists from the radio stations you grew up with?...really???...****in great....

7. varispeed

All they need are some wacky-minded, deep-voiced, 1962-sounding djs every now and then. But then that would run the danger of commercials being introduced.

I'm trying to figure out how far back they go. 1959 as far as I've heard so far.

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

They just played Gene Vincent from '56.

9. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

That is too cool!! :edthumbs:

10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Yup, they're in my favorites along with 88.5 FM. 1260 really digs deep into the archives playing songs I haven't heard in years.

11. [​IMG]

12. varispeed

This is all still pretty cool after four or five days. I don't listen a whole lot, but have yet to hear a record repeated. The era range seems to be from 1956 to maybe 1972. I've heard a grand total of two commercials.

13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yeah. Been digging in this station since last week. Fun fun fun.

14. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

It's amazing the fun you can have while fiddling around in your car :winkgrin:

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

Checking the web site, they're in the middle of Angel Baby by Rosie & the Originals ... well it's part of that era anyway.

Edit: but followed it up with Nowhere Man, so bravo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.