KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Meanwhile...I feel the complete opposite. I think Paul is being as genuine as he has ever been here. He is telling the story of what it felt like being a kid in New York in the late 60's/early 70's. Walking the streets, looking crazy but still trying to be yourself.

I'll take a crack at explaining the lyrics how I see it:

I used to wonder why
    When I was walking by
    They talked about me
    What could it be
    They tried to break me
    (Ok so far ...)

Never could make me
    (Never could make you what? Forced rhyme scheme.)
    Never could make him conform

Out in the streets
    Takin' all the heat
    Dancin' in the sheets, oh yeah
    (I don’t understand what Paul is trying to say here. I’m assuming he was getting teased for being being a freak walking around town, but is dancing in the sheets a euphemism for we’d in this instance? And if so, is he saying he’s still getting laid desoite being teased? And if so, what does he have to complain about? Or is he a freak in and out of the bedroom?)
    It was the 70's...so free love and he was taking advantage of it

I've got streaks in my hair
    People point at me and stare
    If they ask me I'll say, "yeah!"
    I'm a freak
    (This goes to weight and believability. A 60-something believing streaks in his hair makes him a “Freak” is plain odd no matter “any way you slice it.” ZING!).
    He's speaking of himself as a young man, or as a kid today with streaking in their hair...something that separates them from the clones and would cause them to call out to them "hey, freak!"

And I love the clothes I wear
    Where their life goes I don't care
    It's my price I'm proud to pay
    I'm a freak
    (Ok. The price for being a freak is fame, fortune, and straight up debauchery I will never know in my lifetime! Just an odd choice of words.) He's saying he'll take being bullied over conforming

They called me crazy
    It doesn't faze me
    I'm doing fine, they're doing time
    (People being incarcerated has what to do with what? And who’s in jail?)
    He's saying he rose above it, and the people who called him a freak are in jail...whether physical or mental

2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Just as you said to me, thank you for taking the time to explain your position. I appreciate it!

Basically, as I said last night, if the lyrics don't work for you, ultimately that's all that matters. I've ripped some of KISS' lyrics in the course of this thread that others really connected with, and vice versa. Ultimately, what I think of the song doesn't matter in your world (nor should it), and I wasn't trying to change your mind, just to present an alternate perspective.

Other than that, @Curveboy already added some thoughts similar to mine, in his post. I would just say that the "they're doing time" doesn't necessarily have to refer to jail. Going about a dull routine, day after day, can also be a form of "doing time". I don't think it has to refer to being incarcerated.

I totally get why someone would look askance at a man old enough to be a grandfather, penning lyrics that seem targeted to teens. As others have said, this is more autobiographical than you at first may have thought, but Paul's age when he wrote and sang this doesn't sink this for me. Far from it. Others mileage will of course vary!

:cheers:

Curveboy, SammyJoe, dadonred and 5 others like this.
  3. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Dig it. If you ain't free in your mind, you ain't free at all. That's the worse prison. Afraid to say what you feel, or love who you want, to protest injustices by taking a knee, conforming out of fear is a hellish prison. Hell yeah I'm A Freak! Join the freak parade. Get off the sidewalk!

This concludes Rev. Iam's sermon for this week. Now Freak!

cageyc, Curveboy, dadonred and 2 others like this.
  4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

HELL OR HALLELUJAH (Stanley) (4:07)
    First played this a few days ago, and had to revisit it before I could review it.

I like it, but I'm trying to figure out why I don't love it. Paul's voice sounds much better this album, and Eric's kicking serious donkey driving this song along. I don't have the encyclopedic memory of everything Ace ever played but it doesn't sound to me like Tommy's aping Ace like he was on Sonic Boom. In fact, the opening riff reminded me of Black Sabbath's Born to Lose, but cleaner (for those of you that stopped listening after Ozzy or Dio, it's on the Eternal Idol record) - and that still has KISS content because Eric Singer is playing drums on it too! Maybe I hear some Micheal Schenker in his playing as well. Or am I just digging too hard?

I'll rate it as something I wouldn't go out of my way to skip, and might bob my head to when it's playing.... 7.2 out of 10.

5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Back to the Stone Age. This is kinda like Freak for me, perfectly fine with dumb lyrics but not so bad that they're ruining it for me. Anytime a 30 plus year old band puts out an album where the first four songs are Great, Great, Fine and Fine I'm not going to complain too loudly.

I've never considered myself a massive KISS fan even though I own most of their albums. But I could imagine that if they were one of your two or three favorite bands this album (and even Sonic Boom) would be perfectly acceptable offerings.

I don't like the bass sound at the start of BttSA very much but after that I lose track of it. I've heard the song several times today and I assume it has a guitar solo but I don't honestly remember it. And I have to be blasphemous and say I'd rather Tommy kept aping Ace's 70's licks for most of his soloing. A very insistent song and props again for staying around 3 minutes.

6. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

BACK TO THE STONE AGE

Hmm...at least they're "borrowing" from a somewhat unexpected source this time around: the MC5. Before the singing started, I was also thinking it had a dash of "Psycho Circus" in it, but since it's Gene singing, it doesn't quite mimic that song as much. The solo was ok--at that point it started to remind me a bit of "Take It Off."

Even on my crappy small laptop computer, I can tell that this song is brickwalled to hell and back. That kind of "wash of cymbals with no separation" kind of thing.

7. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

For some I enjoyed your write-up more than usual! It's interesting. In hearing the last few songs, I'm going to take back any insults I've thrown at Tommy. Not because he's exceptional, but because he doesn't suck. I feel like this album has given him permission to play.

I like the ideas on this album. Wonder what move them in this direction? The last several albums just seem weird (for a classic KISS friend) and you have to wonder where it all comes from? I have to take a hat off for experimentation. Heck, I love that in Radiohead. I think it's just my own resistance to KISS, but, really, what the heck. In a looooong career, why put them in such a small shoebox. You don't know until you've walked several miles in their spiked leather 7" heels.

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Not a bad first album, because while I'm not an MC5 expert, I do LOVE that record, great protopunk record, I highly recommend it to anyone reading it.

9. dadonred

Agree!

10. dadonred

I'm definitely not free in my mind. I'm my own worst critic, day after day...

11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Agreed! It's a kick-ass album, and I was slightly surprised to see it as Eric's first album. You woulda thought it'd be one of the "usual suspects" like Beatles, Who, Zep, Stones, or maybe Queen or Sabbath.

First album -

Gene: Chubby Checker - Twistin' Round The World
    Paul: "Dream" by The Everly Brothers (his says "First Record")
    Eric: MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
    Tommy: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory

First concert -

Gene: "The Fab 4", a Beatles copy band that played at his high school
    Paul: The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page
    Eric: Foghat and The Marshall Tucker Band
    Tommy: Black Sabbath

12. Zoot Marimba

Yeah, that's the kind of records we nerds would find in our high school years or later

13. William Smart

Holding ourselves to a standard and then trying to go beyond, that's a critique that can be healthy. I better not tell anyone I'm gay they won't like me, I can't show this art to anyone they'll laugh, oh god I love some one who's a different race, creed, color my parents will hate me. That's debilitating. We are here to be the best us we can. Each of us decides for ourself what that means. Wiccans have a saying I always thought was cool. " and it hurt none, do as ye will". The worse thing is to hurt anyone.... including ourselves. You ain't gotta be perfect, just try to be the best you can..... And don't beat yourself up if you fail, it's how we learn. Being a slave to other peoples opinions of us or having unreasonable expectations for ourselves is too much stress for me, you, anyone.

Join the Freak Parade! Get Off The Sidewalk! (I love Todd) OK now I'm taking the collar off and stepping away from the pulpit..... The Rev. Has left the building....

14. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Back to the Stone Age - Gene is very much into this one, and I think the lyrics work just fine within the chosen theme. The bass is upfront and kicking! Also, the whole band sound more together on Monster which is a big plus.

I think both the riff and the pounding influence of Deuce - Peter's drumming included - are undeniable here, and the scream at the intro is just like that glorious one on the outro of the 1973 classic. In fact, those parts sound practically the same if you take Ace's killer solo out of the equation. A direct quote, if you ask me.

The chorus is engaging and the 'I like it' bit is pure humorous Gene. Verses and bridges derivative but pretty good too! Funnily enough, Tommy's solo sounds at times like something Bruce would play... Go figure.

I like this one! 7.3/10

15. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

"Well, I try my best to be just like I am
    But everybody wants you to be just like them"

-Bob Dylan on 'Maggie's Farm', January 1965.

16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

HA!
    Curveboy's review:
    10/10

17. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Curveboy said a five year old, not a fifth grader. That means kindergarten.

William Smart and Curveboy like this.
  18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

@GodShifter, so what is different about Monster so far over Sonic Boom for you (or anyone else here)? Though I've only listened to both albums twice I can't tell them apart yet.

William Smart likes this.
  19. William Smart

Hmm sounds like something Paul might say! Or Sammy Davis Jr.... I got to be meeee, I got to be meee..... Oh sorry getting into it there. But like I always say to "them" you got 3 choices, the right cheek, the left cheek or in the middle. Was that polite enough? I hope so. just cause ya tell someone to KISS it , there's no need to be rude. Right? Pax

Paulo Alm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Any idea when Paul saw the Yardies? 67 or 68?

William Smart and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

I'm wondering what era of Sabbath Tommy saw now. I didn't think about it, but now I am. I'm guessing Dio or Gillan

William Smart likes this.
  22. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

"My First Concert" anecdotes -

Gene Simmons: "I actually saw a fake Beatles band called the Fab 4 play at my school. It's when the Beatles first came out. I must have been about 13 or so. I was so amazed that you could be up on the stage and actually sing and play guitar and be in a band and have all of the girls screeching like turkeys being led to slaughter. Right then, I knew that I had to do that. Plumbers don't get that kind of reaction.

I'm sad to say I never had a chance to see the actual Beatles. I was always working. I remember taking the subway, which elevated above ground right where Shea Stadium is, when the Beatles were playing there. I was literally on the subway right over the concert. I heard the music when the doors opened, but I had to stay on the train. We just didn't have the money or the free time. I was always working."

Tommy Thayer: "Black Sabbath, in the early 70's. They were one of my favorite bands at the time. I can't remember who else was playing. To go to a concert was kind of magical back then. You couldn't believe you were in this big arena with all of these people. The air smelled of pot, and you had these incredible musicians up onstage putting on this big production. It just made you want to do it."

Paul Stanley: "The very first concert I saw? I was a little guy. I went to a Dick Clark Cavalcade of Stars. It was before most of what you would consider classic rock bands.

My first concert as a teen was the Yardbirds, with Jimmy Page. Vanilla Fudge , a New York band, opened for them. That was my first live concert, and it was everything I was hoping music would be. It was exhilarating and full of vitality and passion. To this day, that's what I've always tried to bring to music: passion."

Eric Singer: "My first concert was in 1974. It was Foghat. The opening band was the Marshall Tucker Band. I tried to go see Alice Cooper in the summer of '73, and in that era Alice Cooper was public enemy number one. All of the parents hated him and thought he was the devil. I wanted to go see him - he was the big buzz band at the time - and my mom said, 'No, you're too young. You've got to wait until you're 15.'

But she bent the rules a little, and I got to go to that Foghat show about a month before I turned 15. Rock and roll was more dangerous back then. At least that was the perception. We didn't have MTV, and we didn't have the Internet, so you only got to see bands in magazines, and very rarely on a TV show.

I think it was more special going to concerts back then, just because the visibility factor wasn't like it is now. Now anybody can go to the Internet every day and watch YouTube videos all day long."

23. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Because the process by which each album was created and recorded was pretty much the same, the thing that distinguishes them (for me) is simply the quality of the songs. The songs on MONSTER just seem more fully formed, or realized.

Even though I think they were trying on SONIC BOOM (unlike some others here, who feel like they were just phoning it in), it does feel like they dug a little deeper on this album. Paul mentioned several times back then about wanting to produce something that wasn't just a good KISS album, but a good rock album, period. So I think there was more effort put into this one.

24. Zoot Marimba

In fairness, I think Paul at least was trying, but to me his songs still sounded phoned in. Gene? C'mon, between this or Family Jewels, which do you think was his main priority?

25. Zoot Marimba

Original Sabbath, nice. I just looked up his age, because I was trying to think what era he would have seen as a teenager, and it didn't occur to me he'd be old enough to have seen OG Sabbath, which is my favorite Sabbath.

William Smart, Paulo Alm and npgchris like this.