Headphone Amp with Integrated Phono Stage Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macuzr, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macuzr

macuzr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for advise on recommended headphone amps that I can listen to vinyl directly through my turntable. I know MOFI has the UltraPhono Stage but are there any others. I would like to avoid buying both an amp and phono stage as separate pieces. I mostly listen to music through my Questyle QP1r and LCD-X's.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Don't have a recommendation, but rather than look for the a device that meets your specific needs, don't neglect to look at preamplifiers. You just wouldn't connect it to an amplifier to drive speakers.

3. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

I'm in for info on this

4. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Easy. Schiit Jotunheim with phono stage module.

jeffsab likes this.
  5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Does the UltraPhono allow use of its headphone amp with other sources ? It appears not.

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not sure what price range you are shooting for, but this is a great option for you:

Products_RH5.htm

7. beep

beep Senior Member

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Schiit Jotunheim with phono stage would be your best performance for dollar choice for $499. It also has balanced and SE inputs and can also function as a preamp as well as a phono stage and headphone amp, which the MoFi cannot do.

Jason Stoddard at Schiit is brilliant when it comes to designing analog amplification/output stages and Jotunheim use Schiit's proprietary Pivot Point circuit topology, which is similar in principle to a Nelson Pass design.

It also comes with a 5- year warranty.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I'm sure it's excellent, but it's er, um...$2500.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  11. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

12. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

He would still need a phono stage and most preamps don't come with a phono stage these days.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That headphone amp was reviewed in the November 2017 Stereophile along with its phonostage option. It's the kind of amp that Audeze headphones want you to have -- power, low output impedance, and a soundstage with depth and openness. Audeze headphones demand a lot if you want them to do their thing. It's also a headphone amp that I've been curious to try for myself to hear for myself how it pairs with Audeze and other headphones.

14. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Admittedly, I'm not a huge headphone guy....but this Rogue is really quite impressive.

15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

MoFi ultraphono for 499 isn't bad price for all in one ... I ordered a studiophono and will be getting it this week .. I would've gotten a ultra if I had needed a headphone stage as well...

HiFi Guy likes this.
  16. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Bellari Rolls VP129 that I use as a phono stage has a headphone amp in it with a convenient volume switch. Would that for the bill for you? I think it's been upgraded to the VP130 now.

I listen to cans via my VP129 all the time. Sounds great!

https://www.amazon.com/Bellari-VP130-Preamplifier-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B002TD4GME

Only thing that sucks is the 1/4" headphone jack is in the back. So, I ordered a short extender so that I didn't have to hunt around to find the jack in the back any longer.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Audeze LCD-X is a headphone that deserves and needs a good amp. When under-amped the Audeze headphones sound constrained both in dynamics and soundstage. It takes a good amp with headroom to allow the Audeze headphones to have a soundstage that sounds like an open headphone. Otherwise the soundstage sounds closed in like a closed or semi-open headphone. Dynamics require a good powerful amp. Good bass also requires a good powerful amp. The Audeze headphones may get loud enough with an under-performing amp, but it won't be the type of sound that justifies having those headphones.

The majority of phono pre-amps that have a headphone jack have a headphone amp section that is intended for efficient portable friendly headphones. The Audeze LCD series headphones need an amp that has more power than that. The Audeze LCD headphones are like buying Maggie speakers for your ears. You need proper power with the right style of sound to make the Maggies do their thing. Same with the Audeze headphones.

I would suggest looking for a dedicated headphone amp that has the power and sound that suits the Audeze headphones and a separate phono pre-amp. You'll have many many more choices of amps and amp sound style to chose from.

If you must get an amp that has an integrated phono stage then the Schiit Jotunheim with the phono module would be one of the only affordable options that would possibly do the Audeze headphones the justice they deserve. $499 plus shipping for the amp with phono stage. I haven't heard the Jotunheim yet. I don't know if it would meet my personal approval for the style of headphone sound I like. But I'm picky and like a certain style of sound over others. Reviews for the amp are very favorable. The Jotunheim is a balanced amp and will sound better with balanced cables. If you don't already have a balanced cable for your LCD-X you'll also want to factor in the price for new balanced headphone cables. Audeze's house balanced cables are now $150 (they used to be $80 I don't know what changed). Yeah, this all does start to get expensive. If you have the budget just go all in and get the Rogue headphone amp.

rodentdog, macuzr and morinix like this.
  18. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

Emotiva TA-100, PS Sprout, or if you've got a higher budget, Peachtree. I have the Emotiva but don't have your headphones.

19. Andr3w D

Andr3w D Well-Known Member

Shame this can't handle a low output cartridge. Looks like MM/HOMC only phono-stage - same with the Schiit Jotunheim and Bellari. I am in similar boat. Looking at running my new Pro-Ject RMP 9.2 with a Sumiko BPS Evo III LOMC through a Tavish Vintage phono-stage and then into a Jolida 3502S or Yaqin MC-100B - but neither the Tavish nor Jolida/Yaqin have headphone amps...

20. needlestein

Those are some pretty involved headphones! I don't know if the Bellari Rolls VP130 has the power to run those or not. Consult the specs. I have no complaints at all, but my headphones are very basic. They sound great, by the way, but they were only priced at $100 when new.

21. needlestein

The Bellari definitely has enough gain for MC if you crank the gain, but you'll also have to crank the volume on your amp. It does not need a whole lot of boost to do MC well. I use a SUT.

22. macuzr

macuzr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks I'm gettin some good advice. They problem with living in New England there are not a lot of hi-end hifi stores around. I would love to demo some of your recommendations.

23. sddave

sddave New Member

I bought a Music Hall pa2.2. It has MM/MC phone stage with a second line in. Built in headphone amp. Also has a USB out to rip your vinyl.

I'm pretty happy with it. Would be nice if had a remote for volume. But I don't change it that much.

Sounds great with my Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge.

I've feed my audio DAC (from NAS to mac mini) into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.