Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. The only person with scarier-looking hands than Robert Johnson is Max Shreck as Count Orlok in Nosferatu. The music is spine-chilling too.
    I was a big blues fan in my early twenties but drifted away as jazz came to be more of an interest.
    Growing up I used to listen to the Alexis Korner radio show on BBC radio on a Sunday night, that's where I first heard of Robert Johnson and his legend. Personal faves were Muddy, Magic Sam, Buddy Guy and Johnson, of course. 'Still A Fool' by Muddy Waters always made the hairs on my neck stand up. I used to buy a lot of the Charly and Ace Records re-releases back in the early eighties, lots of good stuff.

vanhooserd likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've been on a trumpet journey this mornng listening to Miles ('Round About Midnight, Milestones) and Lee Morgan (Vol.3 and Tom Cat)

Erik B., Henry Please and Jackie P like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I too listened to blues more in my youth. I still enjoy it and listen regularly but just not as frequently as jazz but I get a taste of the blues in much of my jazz too. I tend to go for either country blues of singular artists or the electric Chicago sound of Muddy and the Wolf.

4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well our PM is making marijuana legal nationally in spring 2018 And a lot of people just thought he was blowing smoke (so to speak.)..
    I picked up some Kirk , Clifford Brown ,
    Dextor Gorden his late 60s stuff
    And a great Joe Henderson Alice Coltrane lp called The Elements from 73 which I was totally unaware of .....
    Post a pic of Tokyo in the rain please.
    I didn't know that was a hobby of yours.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wonder if, back in the day, some of our favorite jazz legends might stop in at some of the Chicago blues clubs after their gigs to hear Muddy Waters and folks like that, before these blues musicians became the darlings of white fans.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

So @Lonson (or any other resident Ellington nut): How would you rate the following in order of preference:

1. Duke's V-Disc recordings
    2. The Carnegie concert from '43
    3. Highlights from the Centennial Set (3 disc sampler)
    4. The Private Collection Studio Session Series - any favorites?
    5. Documents 10 CD set

Favorites? Any of them CEDAR-ized? Other suggestions better than what's listed?

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I would leave the Documents set behind. Those I've heard (not Ellington) sound bad.

The V-Disc recordings are quite a nice collection. The '43 Conerts is noise-reduced. . . the LPs sound better . . . it's too bad, nice concerts. The "Highlights" disc I haven't heard but I have the Centennial set, there is some noise reduction but that set sounds good to me (others here don't like the sound of some parts of it). I have each of the ten volumes of the Private Collection and really like them; 4 and 10 are particular favorites.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Thanks! :tiphat:

I tend to dislike noise reduction and avoid those CDs with them.

9. Lonson

A little dab is okay, sometimes even better. The RCA material is well-done in that regard.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I got this charming low-key 1978 LP for 99 cents. Fiddler/vocalist Wills was the younger brother of the legendary Bob Wills & a popular Tulsa bandleader for many years. Nice short solos from fiddle, guitar, steel guitar, piano, trumpet, clarinet & tenor sax. Produced & recorded in Tulsa by Steve Ripley. I remember hearing Johnnie Lee's song "Rag Mop" when I was a little boy.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

[​IMG]

Using this box set on Apple Music to play the 4 main Brown Roach albums. Love the one song on the Ken Burns Jazz box (get a kick out of you) and want to dive deeper.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Paul Bley - Solo Piano (SteepleChase)

13. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

I like this one too
    [​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  14. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

and this one if you're open to Evan Parker
    [​IMG]

15. Lonson

[​IMG]

Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg "J.S. Bach" . . . Bach pieces performed on guitar and mandolin. Beautiful sound as is to be expected on Adventure Music Records releases.

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Everything Brownie recorded is gold.

17. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, that band he had in that era with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul was great and those mid-70s albums he made with them at the core, are all great. This one is probably the easiest to enter, for anyone who is a little tenderfooted about checking out Braxton's music.

Stu02 likes this.
  19. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best of Play Bach
    [​IMG]

SACD-63590 Hybrid Multi-channel SACD

20. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Stu02 likes this.
  21. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Elmo Hope on the commute home, inspired by my reading David H. Rosenthal's Hard Bop at the moment:
    [​IMG]

Broetzmann/Adasiewicz/Edwards/Noble - Mental shake (Otoroku, 2014)
    Felt like something a bit more out this eve. I like the coolness of Adasiewicz's vibes offsetting Brotzmann's sax wailing.
    [​IMG]

22. Lonson

23. Lonson

Another great release on Adventure Music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benjamim Taubkin — "Al Qantara/A Ponte/The Bridge – Brazil & Morrocco." A set of music that
    touches on Brazilian and Morroccan forms and styles. Sounds wonderful, and I really like the music.

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Roger Thornhill, dpb and Carraway like this.
  25. Lonson

Jovino Santos Neto "Adventure Music Piano Series Vol. 4" . . . an excellent piano solo dates that starts out with a wonderful version of the Beatles' "Blackbird" touched with a bit of forro.

[​IMG]

Carraway likes this.