A great album you discovered based on just ONE song you heard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Don McLean - Tapestry

I liked the song "Castles In The Air" for while, so I picked up copy of this album on cassette. However, the version of the song on the album was different from the one that I'd heard and I found that I liked this lighter version better (the version I'd first heard had a very heavy drum beat). It turned out the entire album was great.

mbrownp1 and strummer101 like this.
  2. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

I was watching Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and heard Dramarama's "Anything, Anything (I'll Give You)." It was a great pop song and I had no idea about it. The album that it was on was a very fun listen through.

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Lindsey Stirling's first album "Lindsey Stirling".
    [​IMG]
    Her video of "Shadows" was my first exposure to
    her music & I've been a fan of everything she's done
    so far.

carlwm, RogerB and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

mark winstanley and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I bought this on the strength of the single "I Know What Boys Like" and a great review in Stereo Review back in 1981.
    [​IMG]

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Another great album I discovered based on hearing "Our Lips Are Sealed"

[​IMG]

AlmanacZinger, YardByrd and fuzzybam like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Farmers Almanac-Happy & Artie Traum.

peymei4ever likes this.
  8. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Gloritone - Fainter Farther Still

After hearing the song Swan Dive played on Howard Stern's radio show years ago.

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Squeeze ARGYBARGY. I heard "Pulling Muscles From A Shell in a record store, asked the clerk what it was. He told me and I bought it. As I was paying for it, "Another Nail In My Heart" followed and I knew I had made a great purchase!

alan967tiger likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was a CD in one of the german Rolling Stone magazines I had, and 'White Unicorn' was on it. That's how I got to know Wolfmother. Great debut album!

11. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

• Blue Öyster Cult - Spectres, got it because of Godzilla back when I first got into the band.
    • Pixies - Surfer Rosa, got it after listening to Where Is My Mind in Fight Club
    • Florence + The Machine - Lungs, listened to Cosmic Love years ago and finally heard the whole album some months ago. Loved it from start to end.
    • The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?, a friend would kept sharing I Was Born (A Unicorn) so much I tried the whole album.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  12. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I bought the first Nazz album after hearing "Open My Eyes" on the radio while getting ready for school (high school) a couple of mornings in a row. I wound up buying Nazz Nazz and Nazz III also, as soon as they were released, and they're still three of my favorite albums.

YardByrd and strummer101 like this.
  13. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

Viva La Vida - Coldplay
    Heard the title track when Apple was doing those iPod commercials using the song. Bought the record, and I still think it's one of the best albums of the decade.

14. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

The Record Company - 'Give It Back to You'

Think somebody in the forum posted the opening track 'Off the Ground' in some thread a while ago.
    Great find.

S.

15. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Many years ago, pre-Internet, I was watching MTV Europe and I wanted to try something new, so I said to myself that whatever song came up next, I would buy the associated album. The next song up was one I had never heard before, nor had I heard of the artist. It was Michael Penn doing “No Myth”. There’s a lot of stuff from 1990 that I don’t listen to today, but I still go back to the album March regularly. It’s one for the ages.

jerico, Headfone and strummer101 like this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yes..

Cherry Glazerr - Apocolypstick

[​IMG]

Heard the song I Knew I Would Be With You Guys on YouTube by accident. If that guitar intro doesn't pull you in.....

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I can't tell you how many songs I heard on commercials that introduced me to bands that I ended up loving. Here's just one example, of one song that was featured on a Gap commercial, that put me on the road to loving everything Raveonettes (from the excellent "Chain Gang Of Love"):

strummer101 likes this.
  18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

That reminds me.......this

Lead to this.....

[​IMG]

Splungeworthy likes this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Lots, but the one that immediately came to mind is Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. I heard it on my college radio station and missed the details. Luckily the DJ was the piano player in my Jazz ensemble and he managed to track it down for me.

I think I heard 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' on the same station around the same time and was stopped in my tracks.

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

And hearing this song on an episode of "Rescue Me" sucked me into Elbow's "The Seldom Seen Kid" (and everything else):

alan967tiger likes this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

And this song by The Preatures

lead to this.......

[​IMG]

DPM likes this.
  22. John54

John54 Senior Member

Hambi and the Dance, Heartache (1982).

Here's the opener Time After Time, in which the video shows the album's front cover:

And the song I heard on the radio (toward the end of 1983 actually) was Standing in the Rain:

Hambi & the Dance - Standing in the Rain

23. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

'Uncontrollable Urge' by DEVO.

I came across a video late one night while trawling through YouTube of their live performance of this song on the ol' 'Fridays' tv program...and it certainly grabbed my attention.
    Such a energetic performance with very tight musicamanship...I was blown away.
    Add to that a overall appealing tune, and having it matched by the visuals of seeing them in their famous yellow protective gear and 3D glasses.
    It immediately made me want to explore more.

It's been a very interesting and exciting ride so far.
    Love that 1st album the song came from, as well as the following four LPs!

:)

-

SpudOz likes this.
  24. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Rickie Lee Jones grabbed my attention when she played 'Chuck E.'s in Love' on SNL about the time her debut album was released, and bought Rickie Lee Jones the next week. I still enjoy the whole album.

strummer101 likes this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

For me David & David - Boomtown. I bought it immediately on the strength of Welcome...

bonus, Zensound and telecode101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.