Album covers that possibly didn't help sales?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yeah, but that is how he looked at that time. Personally, I think he resembled Doug Henning more than Yanni back then.

ARK and Unknown Delight like this.
  2. Nah, it's safe to say that the band's target demo thought Rock and Roll Over was pretty cool.

broccolid likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok but I think we are all in agreement that there is no way the jackets helped the sales. Maybe they didn't hurt them.
    I mean come on! Those are truly wretched!

4. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

The title, "For Love or Money", was mistakenly left off of Badfinger's debut album on Warner Brothers. Perhaps that somehow ties in with the photo of an apparently wealthy woman. Regardless, it's not a very good cover. On the other hand, I think that "Wish You Were Here" is a fine cover; the postcard aptly gives the title. I don't always expect an album cover to signal the type of music within - many don't - but I'd at least think I'd hear rock 'n' roll at the pictured venue. "Wish You Were Here" is a tough case to judge; in the few weeks it was out, it was reportedly selling well, but Warner Brothers pulled it after discovering that Stan Polley had pulled funds from escrow without approval. Some consider it their best work.

dewey02 likes this.
  5. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

On some album covers, how did they think scantily clad men would be a good idea?
    Women do not typically buy albums for the cover. Men would be embarrassed to have it in their collection.

6. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

[​IMG]

Perhaps Maggie wasn't a supermodel, but she was more attractive than this cover indicates.

[​IMG]

Adam9 and ARK like this.
  7. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The cover is lame, but this was their highest charting album of original material, and was on the charts for over a year. So I don't think sales were hurt!

Zeki likes this.
  8. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

If somebody hasn't already posted this I'll eat my hat.
    It scared me away until I found out that Duane Allman plays lead guitar on most of it.

[​IMG]

ARK and Jerk The Handle like this.
  9. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ARK likes this.
  10. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I'm a bit late to this thread, so I apologize if this was posted before:
    Fireballs - Two, Too
    [​IMG]

11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I had to hear the hit single after seeing that cover. I actually like the song.

Imperious Leader and Longers like this.
  12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I think he means the updated versions.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I think the name of the band is Fireballet. :winkgrin:

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Doug Henning vs. Yanni is serious potayto/potahto territory! :D

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Todd Rundgren - Liars

[​IMG]

His best album in years was not helped by this cover.

16. Longers

Longers Forum Resident

Yep, got plenty of airplay in Oz over the years, AND covered by "the Hoff" :D

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

None of Happy Rhodes' album covers were a particularly good idea. She painted monsters, and put the monsters on the album covers. Would you assume these were albums of acoustic guitar and female singer/songwriter?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Putrifiers II likes this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I thought it might be a reference to the use of direct injection on the recording, but no, it’s a bit more prosaic than that.

The DFS catalogue prefix stands for “Doctored for Super Sound / Super Stereo” and doctors use hypodermic needles (among other things). Hmm.

foam55 likes this.
  19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

One of his albums included as a poster of him in a similar outfit and he is posing in what looks to be a terrium with a pond. Saw it in the bargin record room at Cheapos in Austin during SXSW in 2003. Every other cover or poster in that room had been "graffitied" or other wise customized. most very cleverly done. Nobody had touched the Michael Henderson, I guess it spoke for itself.

rikki nadir likes this.
  20. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    How well did this album do?
    Or how much better could it have done with a different cover?

21. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Or course the delay of the U.S. release didn't help either.

22. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I think it did quite well , and to be honest I can't see anything wrong with the cover at all , typical early 70's singer songwriter cover art, you get what you see - a mighty fine album

23. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

If I remember right there was huge backlash against the ex-Dexy's Midnight Runners singer because of that cover... And let's be honest, who on earth would pick that up and take it to a counter to buy it?!
    Definitely one of the worst cover decisions, ever!

24. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

we definitely do not share the same aesthetics , again nothing wrong with it , I know XTC but not this album but the cover art and the title give it in air of mystery which might want me to check it out at some time (if I remember correctly the colours are a bit stronger in the original cover ?)

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've always liked that cover!