David Bowie - Heroes 2017 fixed remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i have just had an email from HighResAudio telling me that they have now received the new version of Heroes and it is available to download.

2. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Any indication about the cd’s?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. What is wrong with the original cds. I have no issue with mine

4. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Forum Resident

This relates to the recently released box set A New Career In A New Town. The sound on "Heroes" (the track) increases at 2:42 or thereabouts and decreases again at 2:50. This isn't on the original 1977 vinyl or later releases so listeners have been asking what the reason is for it. The label have put out an explanation about worn master-tapes or some-such but after releasing the box-set to much fanfare, seem to have now found a solution to this previously insurmountable problem.

C6H12O6 and Front 242 Addict like this.
  5. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Could someone kindly post Dr Rhino’s email? It was in the thread that was shut down.

6. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Thanks for the information.
    Any information about how to get a replacement CD?
    Bowies' web page is not updated yet and still says: " Further details on how to obtain your replacement CD and/or vinyl will follow in due course. In the meantime please retain your proof of purchase."

7. Thanks, very helpful, much appreciated

8. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I was watching the BBC piece with Tony Visconti from last year again recently where he discusses “Heroes” and isolates the individual tracks in the studio that make up the song. He says that the tape is ‘very old and that it would snap’ so it has been transferred to digital but I get the impression that this was done some time before the piece was recorded. There’s no evidence of a ‘loss of energy’ and he doesn’t mention anything about there already being damage to the master tape. I’m not sure if it’s available outside of the UK but it’s a fascinating watch/listen and I’ve never listened to the track in the same way since, knowing how all the different elements came together:

BBC Arts - 40 years of "Heroes": Bowie's producer Tony Visconti gets to the heart of the song - BBC Arts

9. It’s gonna take awhile to press new LPs and cds. Dr rhinos e-mail is at their site or just search here. A closed thread is still viewable.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This is what I got recently from Dr. Rhino (who I had writing back and forth with)

Thank you for contacting us and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Management has provided the following statement, regarding the Heroes album:

“While attempts were made to maintain the integrity of the issue that existed on the original master tape of the "Heroes" album, fans’ concerns have been listened to and a new master is being created to replace the current one.

As soon as the new file is available, the digital versions will be updated and those of you who would like a replacement "Heroes" album will be eligible for one. Further details on how to obtain your replacement CD and/or vinyl will follow in due course. In the meantime please retain your proof of purchase.

Thank you for your continued patience and sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.”

I do not have information available as to when the updated box set will be available for purchase.

If purchase a copy in the meantime, we will send you the digital file when it becomes available, and the CD and/or Vinyl when they become available.

If applicable, please reply with your David Bowie Official Store order number or a photo of your box set and/or store receipt.

We will update you as this replacement process develops.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino
    Rhino Customer Service

Electric Sydney likes this.
  11. dtuck90

Just listened to the new 24/96 version. Perfect!

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

In the thread on this box, wasn't there a mention that Spotify "fixed" it pretty quickly?

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just sitting in Berlin's "Neues Ufer" at Hauptstraße. They are playing the "'Heroes'" album. It's great to hear it three doors from where it was conceived :righton:

Just wondering which mastering they chose. The old RCA cd?

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I bought the 192/24 from AcousticSounds. No email, so I logged into my AcousticSounds account to discover that I've already downloaded the set (technically true), so it's no longer available. Coming weeks should be interesting.

I'm not one to demand Parlophone's head on a spike over this song -- YMMV, and I know it will happen -- but good heavens I want this to be OVER with.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. Spotify can’t fix if. You’d need Visconti to fix it and get approved. He may or may not be the final word now, but I’m also sure the label would want to audition as well before releasing

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Stricken text? You figured it out? You can't care anymore? ;)

Mister_Soul likes this.
  17. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Thank you for this link. This is fascinating.

TonyCzar and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

Does anyone know if HDtracks has the fixed remaster yet?

19. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I asked them about it a couple of days ago, and they said they would check with the label and let me know. Haven't heard anything yet.

20. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Tony is referring to the multitrack, not the album master.

somnar, crispi, Grissongs and 2 others like this.
  21. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

It‘s not on Qobuz yet.

22. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

HDTracks just told me they got new files and they are downloading now.

Daniel Plainview and dtuck90 like this.
  23. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident

Has the whole album been redone or is it just the Heroes track?

24. dtuck90

Just the one track was redone

25. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

No corrected file on Qobuz yet. 7digital withdrew the whole box some weeks ago and it hasn‘t re-appeared since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.