Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Very Scooby Doo, but I'm not complaining.

Sondek likes this.
  2. alexpop

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Alan Moore's run on Captain Britain is, imo, one of the great comic runs ever. Staggering in it's ideas and execution. It was published at the time in Marvel UK titles like The Daredevils and Mighty World Of Marvel. It has been reprinted since and I highly recommend it, for me it's up there with his Swamp Thing, V, Watchmen etc. Art by Alan Davis as well.

It had zero to do with 'nationalism' or flag waving, Moore to it to a level beyond that.

Jaspers' Warp - Wikipedia

For a long time after that the character was based on Alan Moore's 'version'.

So don't have a go at Captain Britain until you have read Moore's run!

Neil Anderson likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

What's truly amazing is that DC hasn't been able to produce a graphic novel that's worth a damn for decades! A staggering lack of creativity that's shared by Marvel who also haven't produced a worthwhile graphic novel since Alex Ross's Marvels. When you compare the classic DC/Marvel stories from the last century to whats being produced today, it makes today's creators look like hacks.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I've read it. I'm not keen on it.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

DC has come out with excellent graphic novels in the last decades. Some of them, like All-Star Superman, Hush, and Red Son being regarded as some of their best ever.

Off the top of my head...

2006: All-Star Superman - Wikipedia

2013: Court of Owls - Wikipedia

2002: Batman: Hush - Wikipedia

2003: Superman: Red Son - Wikipedia

2005: Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

2013: Wonder Woman: Blood

2003: Superman: Birthright - Wikipedia

2009: Superman: Secret Origin - Wikipedia

Even in the 90s, only a couple of decades ago, they were doing stuff like Kingdom Come, Knightfall, and The Long Halloween.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I get what you're saying, but to be fair, DC did completely the opposite as early as 1987 with the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League reboot. Funny, light, emotional - it is the antithesis of anything dark, brooding, and bleak. This is probably one of my favorite incarnations of the Justice League. I'm sure I'm not alone in that assessment, and DC could have opted for something more along those lines with its movies, but chose not to.

Would it have made for a better Justice League movie series? Would it have been a dismal failure? Who knows. At least the books are still available for those that want to experience it.

[​IMG]

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

How can you make a Justice League movie without J'onn J'onzz? Without him, it's the Super Friends.

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

A Justice league movie based on the look of Alex Ross drawings would be far more pleasing on the eye.

Purple Jim and jriems like this.
  10. alexpop

I'm sure Marvel could reboot D.C. Superheroes successfully for the big screen.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I stand corrected. Interesting to note that only ONE of the eight you mentioned is a true graphic novel with original material (Red Son), the rest are all compilations of monthly runs. Great runs no doubt but....but yr point is well taken, the creative void doesn't go as far back as I thought! Although IMO the newer items on yr list don't hold a candle to the older!

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is my opinion and I don't care about Rotten Tomatoes, critics, opening weekend numbers or ANYTHING ELSE!

JUSTICE LEAGUE IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Let me say it again, JUSTICE LEAGUE IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

I went in knowing what had already been said about the movie, but I kept my mind completely open. I was HIGHLY UPSET that DARKSEID was taken out, but the Steppenwolf footage in the trailers was so good that I thought ok give it a chance.

Speaking of Steppenwolf, all this talk about he's a weak villain, is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE! Steppenwolf is a SERIOUS BAD _ _ _ in this movie! I had no problem with his CGI, in fact I loved the way they did his eyes! There were plenty of close ups so you could see him really good.

The tone of the movie was great, there were light moments, but it never ever went over the edge into childish, silly, ridiculous comedy! The characters were never taken OUT OF CONTEXT, and the team dynamic was spot on!

This movie has some of the very best SUPERHERO ACTION! The battle with the Amazons is just THRILLING! Wait until you see who all was involved in the battle!
    I think Wonder woman had better action sequences in this movie than she did in her own! All the characters are great, and you get enough time with each one.

The after credit scenes are good, I wanted something that led to Darkseid, but you'll enjoy them. Stay all the way to the end because there are two of them. After going in with an open mind, the whole movie is an absolute WINNER! I can't wait to see it again and get it on BLU-RAY!

So I don't care what anyone says, JUSTICE LEAGUE IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

13. alexpop

That's a 10/10 review in my book.
    How does it compare with
    Thor: Ragnarok?

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I was talking about the new JL film.

15. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

I liked JL better than Thor: Ragnarok, but that being said, the movie is a mess. However, there are plenty of scenes that great.. It's just too bad that you can tell this is a product of two directors, and a studio hell bent on course correction. Could've been so much more.

Dr. Bogenbroom likes this.
  16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I wish I'd seen the Justice League you saw, I really do, rather than the Justice League movie I saw yesterday.

They've seriously screwed the pooch with this franchise by rushing into the team movie.

I kept thinking throughout, "well, I guess we can't see that movie now, or that storyline now."

17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Was Paul MCCARTNEY on the SOUNDTRACK?!

Old Mac likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hey Zack, how ya doing?

JPagan likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

No but he did play Flash's Grandfather, and The Flash keeps saying what a clean old man he is. In fact, the whole cast often remarks throughout the film on what a very clean old man he is, but he is really a king mixer he is!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

He isn't, but there's a cover version of a Beatles song:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The point is that Marvel's films draw upon characters and storylines from their entire publishing history. The makers of the DC films seem to be unaware that DC published any comics prior to 1986. They draw solely on the latter-day dark iterations of the characters that were aimed at jaded and cynical comics fans rather than the general public. And then they are surprised they can't sell the films to the general public.

I don't think "bleak" is an accurate word for pre-Miller Batman. Batman stories were serious in the 70s, and sometimes dark, but they did not feature the dreary cynicism and utter pessimism that Miller brought. And of course Miller is also responsible for adding the elements of mental instability and anti-social-ness to Batman.

alexpop likes this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think Ben Affleck's Batman would be absolutely perfect for this iteration of the Justice League. And it would be something different, rather than the lame attempts to copy Marvel that we've seen so far.

jriems likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

I'm really thinking Ben Affleck is done with Batman now, but I really hope he stays. My son and I were talking that they could make a Batman solo trilogy with him, then make a second trilogy adapting much of Frank Miller's Dark Knight! If they offered Ben that, I bet he would stay.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Boy, wouldn't it be something if they adapted Crisis on Infinite Earths to the big screen? Then they could start the DCEU all over again...

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

[​IMG]

bferr1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.