EVG styli catalog

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thank you! Appreciated a great deal. Somewhere, there is on the net an old Pfanstiehl catalogue.

PhxJohn likes this.
  3. PhxJohn

This can help one to find a stylus:
    Pfanstiehl replacement phonograph needles

Pfanstiehl reserved 'blocks' of numbers for each manufacturer. Shure got the 700's. I was just on Ebay and I saw a Pfanstiehl packaged but genuine Shure styli. It was a '757'. If it is 3 digits, it is OEM in cases where the cartridge manufacturer also manufactured their own styli. A Pfanstiehl manufactured or sourced replacement for the Shure but NOT a genuine Shure would be '4757'. The '4' indicates generic.

McLover likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And also with newer Pfanstiehl styli, and some EVG numbers today use 3 digit numbers too often for aftermarket, in older days they didn't.

5. PhxJohn

I was just poking around on Ebay. EVG is sometimes using the 3 digit Pfanstiehl numbering system. Example: EVG 761-DED for Shure M91 and M92 carts. I can see for sure that Pfanstiehl is getting some styli from Japan. Also, LKG is clearly indicated on the currently manufactured styli. This info can help one to get a 'fresh' one.

6. PhxJohn

I guess the easiest way to remember is that if it is inexpensive, it is aftermarket. I know that I stated it before....but these are good times for those with Shure, Pickering, Stanton....and I guess Empire and ADC cartridges. Of course, I have a moving coil with non-replaceable stylus and a GE VR 1000(two actually) that I have only found one decent model styli for. Plural. I have a boatload.

7. PhxJohn

Pfanstiehl is using 'The Generic Stylus" as a trademark !!! I applaud their honesty.

McLover likes this.
  8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Be warned the EVG has switched production for some of their styli from Japan (the Jico plant) to Switzerland (the Pfanstiehl plant). So if you buy a new EVG stylus you might just be getting a repackaged Pfanstiehl.

Voice Of Music, V-M Audio Enthusiasts specifically lists the Japanese made EVG styli as "EVG Japan" so you always know what you're getting.

McLover and PhxJohn like this.
  9. PhxJohn

One nice thing about Ebay is that the sellers often provide that info as well. Gary at V of M certainly does a great job of making things crystal clear. I get the feeling that Pfanstiehl is going to take over EVG. I believe EVG is just a reseller these days. Just a feeling but what you stated reinforces that feeling.

10. PhxJohn

Also I noticed EVG using the Pfanstiehl numbering scheme on some styli packaging.

11. PhxJohn

If you want an EVG stylus made in Japan, buy it now.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

13. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Which EVG styli come from Japan?

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In older days, 3 digit Pfanstiehl meant genuine styli from the original manufacturer. More expensive than 4 digit Pfanstiehl numbers which meant "The Generic Stylus" which was why that system was there and was standard for many years. I wish they'd go back to 4 digit only for generics, 3 digit only for repackaged genuine styli. That way the customer always knows what he or she is buying.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The "The Voice Of Music" website that @vwestlife linked above noted when an EVG item it has is from Japan. There are a few "EVG Swiss" listed for a few types too. The owner of that site knows where he is getting his items. Other sites don't normally note where theirs come from, although one site notes "Japan" for various items but doesn't specify if it's from EVG or something else. In short, you can only be sure from that site. EVG normally doesn't note Japan or Switzerland on their packaging, so far. Pfanstiehl does.

All "line contact" types seem to be from Japan, from any brand and any seller - but could be from any one of the three manufacturers of generics in Japan.

vwestlife likes this.
  16. PhxJohn

Pfanstiehl does use the 4 digit scheme for the 'generics'. Now anyway. Look for 'LKG' on the package to get a recently packaged stylus. Currently, EVG offers no hyperellipticals as they are no longer sourcing from Japan.....sadly.

17. PhxJohn

None now. Tonar magnetic styli are still sourced from JICO and Nagaoka.

18. PhxJohn

I know of JICO and Nagaoka. Who is the third supplier ? Audio Technica ?

19. PhxJohn

All EVG magnetic styli will be coming from the same Swiss manufacturer that Pfanstiehl buys from. In fact, right now the Swiss manufacturer is making the mold for the plastic assembly for the VN45E. Tonar still sources magnetic styli from both JICO and Nagaoka.

20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    PhxJohn likes this.
  21. PhxJohn

I received a shipment of EVG styli yesterday. Some are JICO and the ones that look like they were produced yesterday are from Switzerland. As you all know, EVG does not indicate where their styli come from. AFAIK, all EVG styli will be Swiss once the JICO manufactured inventory is depleted. This varies of course by model. Tonar still sources from JICO and Nagaoka. Subject to change of course.

22. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

This is great info. Currently I'm stocking up on 4762 and 4767 styli for my Shure M93 cart, and looking for a good quality AT95E-compatible stylus. I had been sourcing EVG 710-DE styli with dark dots on the cantilever for that cart.

The generic Swiss stylus I just got for the Shure (4767) performed very well against Ortofon's test record, so I have some confidence there. I test every stylus I purchase against this record to weed out the mediocre units. All the Tonars and EVGs I've tested have performed well using this test.

As always, time will tell if quality remains consistent. Thanks again for contributing this information.

PhxJohn likes this.
  23. PhxJohn

You are welcome ! I am glad to hear that the Swiss stylus performed well. At first, the aftermarket stylus business was confusing to me. The major distributors that I buy from are EVG, Pfanstiehl, and Tonar. Therefore, I have contacts at all three. When EVG switched from JICO to the unnamed Swiss manufacturer the variety of models decreased. Hyperellipticals and more exotic styli are not produced by the Swiss manufacturer at this time. I had heard that JICO was going to stop supplying distributors with styli to sell under the distributor's brand name. I do not know if this will extend to Tonar. I hope not. But Tonar still has Nagaoka as a supplier and I think Tonar and Nagaoka are pretty tight. If some distributors are getting their styli where they can, imagine what retailers must be going through ? Some distributors are looking to South America for supplies....I should say complete styli assemblies. I have a tiny dilemma. EVG's have typically commanded higher prices than Pfanstiehl. I don't know how to price my EVG's made in Switzerland. LOL. Tonars always cost more due to the strength of the Euro and being sourced from Japan. It is all very interesting.

24. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I agree...and the buyer's landscape is shifting once again.

For what it's worth, the generic Swiss 4767 I just bought claims dimensions of .0002 x .0007, which is a rather narrow elliptical, isn't it? If those numbers are accurate, at least the sample I received performed very well. I'm not equipped to be able to measure the tip myself, so I suppose we have to take the maker's word on faith.

PhxJohn likes this.
  25. PhxJohn

The Swiss manufacturer does still produce 0.2 x 0.7 ellipticals. It is a rather narrow elliptical. Should be perfectly fine, just don't go high on your VTF. Think of it as a sharp stylus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.