The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed - 50th Anniversary Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Okay, I've figured it out. I listened to it again. The stereo SACD layer is the short version, the multi-channel is indeed the long. What happened was, when the SACD came out, I made rips of the stereo pairs to play on Red Book CDs, which I've been listening to for all these years (it's so cool to hear some of the parts in isolation). I must've figured out back then that the extended version was bogus and edited it out — then forgot that I did it!

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It's an A side, not a B side.

It made Number 8 on the UK charts in November 1975:
    Official Singles Chart Top 50 | Official Charts Company

kenbefound likes this.
  3. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Hmmm.... Weird. I think I'll give my SACD another listen.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It’s extended, as above.

5. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

The 2017 remaster is now live on hdtracks, in deluxe and non versions

6. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

yeah, I'm streaming it on Deezer and getting slighty euphoric

sure, the original mix is murky, but this is how I first heard the material, and I instantly recognized that sound from the first minute of Evening: Time to Get Away (where I obviously started today)

all the CD versions always sounded a bit, I dunno, tinned to me - here everything is in place, colour-wise, and the odd effect on the vocals is just right to me too

I even got the kick out of Nights In White Satin, for the first time in many many years, when the falsettos on the chorus banged

yes, I kind of got reminded why all the craziness about Days of Future Passed

Ben Adams likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Listening to the samples on HDtracks now, the original mix doesn't sound bad, but in comparison to what I've heard it sound like, it's a bit muted or rolled off. It's not a huge thing, but a bit lacking in airiness and openness. Probably better than what most people have heard, but it's too bad it's not just a little better.

At least nice to have a reissue of the original mix.

Past Masters likes this.
  8. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My copy shipped and should be waiting for me when I get back from work later today. Don't even know where to start!

9. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I streamed the album on Spotify and this is my first time listening to the original mix. I think I own the 1991 CD and the new CD/DVD set should arrive later today. I definitely agree that it sounds a bit rolled off. Percussion and mellotron on the tracks are much more audible in the original mix. I'll be happy to have 4 versions of this album now: 1991 and 2006 stereo remix masterings, 2017 remaster of original mix, and the 5.1 based on the quadraphonic.

I'm glad I held off on buying the previous remaster so I could have the bonus tracks. This set should do nicely.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  10. Rickhawk22

Rickhawk22 Forum Resident

Can anyone post DR numbers on the original mix of this release?

JediJoker likes this.
  11. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Surprisingly, the Spanish 1981 reissue -with the original mix- sounds great. Cheap and abudant

JP Christian likes this.
  12. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

How does the NIWS compare with Steve's version on Legends: Crank it Up?

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Have the Coke spots ever been officially released? I'm curious when they were recorded? I'm hoping with this set, we'll see some future box deluxe editions of albums like To Our Children's...

Fred68 likes this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Can anyone confirm the 2006 and 2017 5.1 mix are the same?

slainte, Fields&Lanes and calgary669 like this.
  15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Incorrect-a-mundo. ALL surround versions of this (DTS CD, Quad reel, and SACD) have the extended Peak Hour. It drives me crazy, just sounds wrong.

16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have this, it's one of the the best vinyl versions of the original mix along with the Holland pressing that came out a few years later.

Although I have several copies of this album already I've just bought the new vinyl version as it was less than £20...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Bogies4

Bogies4 Forum Resident

Unfortunately as stated above, the 5.1 mix is the same as the 2006. With the extended Peak Hour and (worse) the horrible bridge on “Time To Get Away”

JediJoker likes this.
  18. Got this CD set and listened to it today. I much prefer the 67 mix over the 72 mix.

richarm and SteelyNJ like this.
  19. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

Ripped from the DVD:
    DR10 -0.10 dB -15.22 dB 01. The Day Begins.aiff
    DR11 -0.94 dB -15.85 dB 02. Dawn is a Feeling.aiff
    DR11 -0.10 dB -13.00 dB 03. Another Morning.aiff
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.68 dB 04. Peak Hour.aiff
    DR10 -0.10 dB -12.24 dB 05. Tuesday Afternoon.aiff
    DR9 -0.10 dB -11.95 dB 06. The Sun Set - Twilight Time.aiff
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.80 dB 07. Nights in White Satin.aiff

Number of files: 7
    Official DR value: DR10

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, I'm glad I hadn't gotten the album before. I'll be ordering this edition!

21. Bosco82

Bosco82 Forum Resident

Ripped From The CD:
    DR10 -0.10 dB -15.16 dB 5:49 01-The Day Begins (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR11 -0.79 dB -15.76 dB 3:48 02-Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -12.88 dB 3:40 03-The Morning: Another Morning (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.59 dB 5:16 04-Lunch Break: Peak Hour (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.12 dB 8:25 05-The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?), Time To Get Away (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -11.84 dB 6:38 06-Evening: The Sun Set: Twilight Time (1967 Stereo Mix)
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.73 dB 7:44 07-The Night: Nights In White Satin (1967 Stereo Mix)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR10

JediJoker likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How do you like the sound?

23. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well I haven't received the brand new copy yet - I owned the original mix first, in fact I was on holiday in Minorca when I was only 15, and the 1981 Spanish copy was the first copy I bought - it only cost me the equivalent of £3 at the time! I have since picked up another dozen copies from UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan,Holland and Germany - only two or three I believe are the later remix - I think the only copies I'm missing is are the Gilbert Kong US and an original mono!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Tommyboy and c-eling like this.
  24. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Glad to see that Amazon is showing out of stock for vinyl. I would be over the moon if this album re entered the charts again.

25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Is it an actual 'box set'? I haven't seen any pictures of it anywhere yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.