CDs with dud Bonus Track(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Deep Purple In Rock 25th Anniversary.
    Two decent songs (Cry Free, alternative Speed King), some unnecessary remixes and a lot of in-studio nonsense.

2. Just program past it or don't play them.

3. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Cheap Trick's All Shook Up has the Found all the Parts EP and "Everything works if you let it" as bonus tracks.

Jimmy Agates and chrisblower like this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It always was on my original cd. Great little song that feels like a postscript to the album proper. I've never known the album in any other way. SLS is totally part of it for me.

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The Paupers THE MAGIC PEOPLE. The bonus tracks are totally boring.

The Mystic Tide. The bonus tracks are very generic rock.

6. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

At my local record store in the used slot for Pat Metheny there was about 10 of those CDs and not one other PM(or PM Group) Cd! How that for a red flag for the unsuspecting PM Fan to come across? Ha ha:biglaugh:

Hamhead likes this.
  7. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Cracker took one of their best songs, Euro Trash Girl and hid it with 68 tracks of silence or noise and finally after 68 dud bonus tracks you get the gold of ETG song 69

jimmydean and Natvecal. like this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I know this falls into "it's on the internet, so it must be true" territory, but you drove me to Wikipedia to verify my memory.

"She Likes Surprises" was the international release bonus track on the album, so that would explain why it's been new to me but familiar to you as part of the normal running order. Part of me wonders if it would serve better somewhere inside the running order rather than tacked on to the end...

Natvecal. likes this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I don't think it would do any good anywhere else on the album. Spoonman already sticks out a bit as being more upbeat amidst the slightly psychedelic middle part of the album. The first part has the out-and-out rockers. No place there.
    It gets darker and weirder towards the end. Too sunny to be in there. It really only seems to 'work' (as in; if it weren't a bonus track) after the whole shebang, as a postscript kinda thing. That's how it always worked for me. Hell, I didn't even know it was a bonus track until years after the fact! (No indication, except that there's no song lyrics to it in the booklet).

Runicen likes this.
  10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

They should have just pulled and "Endless, Nameless" and put it 12 minutes after the end of "Like Suicide." That should satisfy all ends. :D

11. Natvecal.

Bit Off Topic, also I'm going to stretch the term "Bonus Track" here....
    But, when I bought my first 45 (7" single) Joe Walsh - Turn To Stone ('74) from So What
    [​IMG]

I loved that song so much on the radio that I scrounged my pennies,nickles and dimes to pay (39cents +TAX ) at my local Wherehouse (down the street) just to have this song and it came with(and I'm using this term here wrong & loosely .I know this .But, bear it out.Look at it from a 12 year old's perceptive? Just enjoy the story.) a B-side song (Bonus Track ) called the All Night Landry Mat Blues (.58).So, after hearing my TTS song few times I flipped the 45 over the hear this " Bonus Track " that was included in my purchase of this 45. (.58) was not a good sign to observe here ,thinking,"What song is only .58 seconds long?" Then, I played it.......o_O What th-?:wtf: and finally , "I don't get it":confused: and disappointed:( to feeling I've been ripped off:mad: man. That shoulda been a good song:disgust:what a wasted B-side for a song:rant: the more I tried to play it and like it the more:realmad:. Also a lot of :cussing:when my Mom wasn't around! This put me off ever buying the LP any time soon:shake:. I finally got it in the '80s and laughed my posterior off at this (Dr. Demento worthy) goofy song:biglaugh:

So this was my first "Dud Bonus Track" experience it would seem in 1974 ha ha:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've only played them once, but I remember finding the extras on Skip Spence - Oar awful even though I liked the album. I remember it being very obvious where the original album ended without looking.

13. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

:agree: David Bowie - Tonight

[​IMG]

I would never have purchased this album if it weren't for these excellent bonus tracks on the 90's Virgin CD edition:

This Is Not America
    As The World Falls Down
    Absolute Beginners

Likewise, I'd say that for the most part, Bowie's entire Sound+Vision reissue campaign unearthed some truly superb material appearing as bonus tracks which had otherwise been either scarce or completely unavailable (not everything has made it to his recent box sets), making at least a few of those somewhat sound-challenged Rykodiscs still worth keeping to this day. On the other hand, there are indeed many CDs with dud bonus tracks, usually in the form of unfinished demos, uninteresting live takes, boring interviews, inferior remakes, and so forth, but when the bonus track in question is a non-album single or B-side, I tend to err on the side of inclusion ("Sanctuary" from Iron Maiden's s/t debut comes to mind, which is currently being discussed here):

Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

14. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

This is still embarrassing.

Back in 1990, I spent almost a thousand bucks to buy a laser-disc (multi-disc) player, just to watch the two extra tracks on the

laser-disc version of Who's Better, Who's Best, the Who's video compilation from the late eighties. The tracks are Relay, a 'voice over' from the

Russel Hardey show and a montage of early U.S tour footage set to Anyway,Anyhow, Anywhere.

I still use the player, it's a good machine but I never really needed it and the tracks were underwhelming. Relay was fun for a while

but even in those days of scarcity it wasn't even close to what I was hoping for.

Ahh, that sinking feeling when you know you've wasted some serious money!

Natvecal. likes this.
  15. Natvecal.

Ouch!!! I think you take the cake here. I won't complain about a $30 CD as a waste of my money again ! Well, I still will, but....I'll keep it in perspective to your case:righton:

kevinsponge and skisdlimit like this.
  16. readr

readr Forum Resident

Cheap Trick’s Dream Police and All Shook Up deluxe reissues missed opportunities.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Known to fans as the "penalty tracks." Actually a full 45 minutes worth including a really bad song recorded in the 80s, and four more minutes of dialogue afterward.

Folknik likes this.
  18. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

there was a bonus track on a monkees reissue with a b-side including some tone, that only a dog can hear...

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The Cars Candy O expanded edition has bonus tracks that play way too fast.

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

A really bad 80's song which isn't even FZ.

21. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You should have kept it for the mastering, as it's better sound than the MFSL!

22. Paul Saldana

The U.K. Cd has one set of bonus tracks and the Japanese another set - so you're forced to buy both to get them all :grr:

Echo likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

One set I do revisit all the time is the Ryko bonus tracks on 'Diamond Dogs'

24. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

How about a deluxe reissue with an entire disc of disappointing bonus tracks - Exile On Main St. Some of them are ok but they had been already been heavily bootlegged. The stuff they did the overdubs and new vocals for was an absolute letdown. As much as I love the original album, the bonus disc just did not live up to the material. However, the same process with the Some Girls album ended up with a bonus disc I actually loved.

George Blair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.