One song you're currently obsessed with?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilBorder, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simple Sister

Procol Harum

Marvin likes this.
  2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Taxi - Harry Chapin

3. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Still one of my favorites all these years later...

4. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Cristo Redemtor - Charlie Musselwhite.

5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

6. From Canada: The Blue Shadows: "Let The Cowboys Ride"

Lifts my spirits every time I listen to it.

Only 'discovered' this band a few weeks ago but criminally undervalued, including by Sony who for some reason failed to release their first album in the US.

Best Wishes,
    David

7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Dan Auerbach: King of a One Horse Town

8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I had this LP on headphones and amazingly tripped over your post here, kudos

Michael likes this.
  9. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Lately it's been the Dream Syndicate "Out of My Head"

10. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Starship Trooper - Yes

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

indeed. : )

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Smoke Get's In Your Eyes...The Platters

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Courtney Barnett ~ Dead Fox. The lyrics to this are the most brilliant thing that's happened this century. They'll be studying this in schools before the end of the next decade.

14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Darkness Keeps Chasing Me" by the ridiculously talented Grace VanderWaal. She's 13 years old and is already writing profoundly moving songs like this.

15. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Cookie and the Cupcakes, "Mathilda." Peter Guralnick described it in a book I was reading and I can't get enough of it.

16. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

I can hit play anytime, sad, drunk, whatever mood I am in ...

funny thing is, as I am not a native english speaker, I thought he sings "eat" lots of girls" instead of "meet"

17. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Hall & Oates - The Girl Who Used to Be:

18. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

At the moment it is Alessia Cara’s “Here.”

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Metallica - Orion

rock4ev likes this.
  20. Frankh

Frankh Lucky Man

Untrue! Lol

I am a true die-hard Yesfan and adore this tune. Although it wasn't always that way. When it came out, not so much. Tormato as a whole is a strange slice, even for Yes. It took seeing the band in 2002 at Jones Beach, Long Island, New York on a hot August evening to bring the song home to me. What a great show. They played Don't Kill The Whale early-ish in the first set of two they were to play that night. Overall a three hour show with songs from all across their career (to that point), a ten minute break between sets. The song smoked unexpectedly and incredibly hard. Steve Howe, as you perceptively mentioned was shredding it. All three vocalists, Chris Squire (RIP, one of the greatest ever on bass), Steve and Jon Anderson, lead vocals were "leaning into" it, as though they could feel that they were slaying this song. Alan White on drums must've asked or signalled lighting to shut down because he played most of it in the dark, still early evening "outside", still hot! - and I remember him being lit up the rest of the night. He was thumping extremely hard, perhaps the catalyst behind the band leaning on this song so hard. Alan, so often and so highly underrated as Yes drummer since 1972, has always seemed to bring the band the harder edge it needed in the live setting, as on this night.

When it was over, my sister and I looked at one another like "What the Hell was THAT?!"
    She described the whole show as being like getting hit upside the head with a great big Yes stick. Great, great set list that night. But Don't Kill The Whale was an unexpected highlight. It was as though an incredible heavy metal band had snuck in to sub for Yes for one song. I never listened to it the same way again. It was like they were explaining it to us, once and for all.

"This is what we meant."

My current song obsession, although so often Awaken from Yes, is currently Discipline by King Crimson.

21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Randy Newman's "I Think It's Going To Rain Today". Still not sure what it means, which is probably why I'm obsessed with it.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Fight Fire With Fire

rock4ev likes this.
  23. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Not sure obsessed it the word for it but I can't get Hero's out of my head... lol

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I’ve been obsessed with Curtis Mayfield’s “(Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below, We’re All Gonna Go” and Lafayette Gilchrist’s “Assume The Position” since “The Deuce” ended.

rainbow dome likes this.
  25. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

The new band Greta Van Fleet's song Flower Power

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.