Do your loudspeakers match your subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SquishySounds, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice. Thread Starter

I’ve had my PSB Platinum / SVS PCi combo for 10+ years now and have always loved the combo. The SVS played lower than the PSB Subsonic10 and since I watched a lot of DVDs (now BluRay) I needed that 20Hz thump.

But the SVS is a big ugly black hot-water tank of a subwoofer, and the PSBs are beautiful cherry veneer. The just look wrong together, like somebody wearing penny loafers on a Harley-Davidson bobber.

Is anyone else matching their loudspeakers and subs? Or do you buy the biggest subwoofer your floor joist will support regardless of how ugly it is?
    [​IMG]

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Life is about compromise. Either way you choose. I'm a fan of REL subs but don't use one in my current stereo.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Well, somewhere in the middle. I have had a pair of JL Audio F112 for over 10 years and changed main speakers in the meantime. The mains are Janszens in blond maple; the subs are piano black, but they are only 15" high or so and not as conspicuous as yours. The main thing to me is, they are a good match acoustically.

4. DLD

DLD Senior Member

First off, I could care less if they're even remotely similar to my mains. Having said that, my two Sunfire Tru Sub Jr.s, finished in rosewood, look pretty nice next to each of my PSB Synchrony IIs finished in, rosewood.

Manimal likes this.
  5. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

You need to track down the SVS PB12 subwoofer that came in a cherry finish. Get rid of that ugly black tube.

6. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

This reminds me of what Jack Nicholson is alleged to have said to Nicole Kidman in reference to her red hair at the Oscars some years back... "Do the cuffs match the collar?"

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sean Connery said that to Tiffany Case (Jill St. John) in "Diamonds are Forever". Was Jack channeling James Bond? I know, "allegedly".

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. Yes...and no.
    My mains are medium oak. My rear surrounds (same speakers as mains) are black to help hide them in the room.
    My dual subs are also black to help hide them in the room.

The SVS towers have always been covered in that cheap ass looking fabric, almost like landscape cloth. I really wish they would use a better looking cover.

9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Which PSB Platinum’s do you have? Could you please fill out your information/equipment profile?

...and why is your speaker outside? :laugh:

SandAndGlass and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. SquishySounds

Didn’t fit in the house. Had to build around it.

Saint Johnny and black sheriff like this.
  11. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Are you sure it's a subwoofer? because I think someone sold you a either section from a WWII naval gun or a launcher for a surface to air missile.

Manimal, BDC, Mike from NYC and 5 others like this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wait, that 8-foot-tall stove pipe is actually your sub?

I answered yes to the poll. On a friends advice, I recently started using an Anthony Gallo MPS-150 with my Revel M22s. It looks terrible, but nowhere near as bad as that monster sub you're using.

The problem for me is when I tried placing the sub inconspicuously, it sounded terrible. The only place it sounds good is out in between my speakers. I'd rather not see it at all which is impossible.

13. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

My speakers ARE my subwoofers, but FWIW they don’t match anything else in the room!

BDC and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. SquishySounds

M2 standmounts
    [​IMG]
    I don’t have photo hosting, so here’s a pic from Google.

Just found the equipment page. I’ll fill it out today

irender and black sheriff like this.
  15. SquishySounds

No. That’s a visual joke. My actual sub is only 46” tall

timind and black sheriff like this.
  16. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Nice. I’ve got a SVS SB2000 in Black and PSB Platinum T8s in cherry.

SquishySounds likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I voted: No - Wait, You mean some people have matching equipment?

18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

No. Harbeth P3ESR in cherry. SVS sub in black.

19. mds

mds Forum Resident

Matching equipment certainly doesn't effect the SQ, however it sure does make the system look nice along with making the room visually more comfortable and appealing. I don't mean matching all manufactures brands, but certainly color, style, face plates and speaker enclosure finishes can add to the "overall" appreciation of the room and set-up.

Concerning my speakers; stand mount with a Piano Black finish, sub-woofers are black wood grain finished cubes. Yeah I wish they were Piano Black, however they are what I had and could afford at the time. They sound nice, function well, go low, and integrate sound wise with the stand mounts, so I have no complaints that they don't match perfectly. I haven't thought about matching them until this post. I have thought about upgrading and if I do the new ones will be Piano Black even if it is an upcharge.

Now if they were white or in a wood finish I think that would bother me more but unless they sounded bad I would learn to live with them, buying equipment isn't cheap.

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

geez you're talking a visual match ? from the title i thought you were going to be discussing something of substance like an acoustic match- which is important and drives much frustration if you get that wrong.
    most subs are not meant or designed to be objects of visual focus. shove it in a corner, maybe put a black bass trap in the other and get over it!

21. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

In my circle of friends it was always: "Does the carpet match the drapes?"

BDC, Maccaroni and chili555 like this.
  22. SquishySounds

How old are you people? Everyone has hardwood floors now

Tim Irvine and mds like this.
  23. SquishySounds

why would anyone buy a subwoofer that doesn’t sound good?

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I really wish I could get decent sound with the sub in the corner or up against a wall. Although I thought I gave it a good try, maybe I need to experiment more with the settings. It's just that when I put it out in the middle, everything fell in to place so perfectly.

murphythecat likes this.
  25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

does it have continuous phase angle adjustment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.