The Weakest Link: AC/DC- Let There Be Rock ROUND 6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

The problem Child is back in juvie.

Up next us @Joey Self running Queen's A Day At the Races

DQ: What is your favorite memory or moment of Malcolm Young? Which AC/DC album would you like to see a Song by Song dedicated to?
    And of course your final two for this album

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Rosie

Mine is in the movie Let There Be Rock: The Movie - Live in Paris where they show Malcolm changing shirts before the show. He has a drink in his hand and holds it up to the camera and just smirks. That’s Malcolm.

3. Zoot Marimba

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Rosie

As for best Malcolm moment it's hard to say because I think any great Malcolm moment is really a great AC/DC moment. You can't separate them.

but I'll go with this - @ 3:30 when the band kicks back in...that's everything great about AC/DC

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Voting for "Rosie" but that's kind of like saying "which of your children would you prefer to have executed?" - although my favorite track on this disc is "Problem Child".

As I just posted in his memorial/tribute thread, I think my favorite Malcolm moment is his fourth little solo in "Soul Stripper". But the man couldn't write a bad riff, and he couldn't play a bum note. Metronomes aren't as precise as his playing was. And god damn did he write some great riffs. Rock on, brother.

BluesOvertookMe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

Christ, I gotta say Let There be Rock. Whole Lotta Rosie makes me want to slam my head against a brickwall while exerting all the energy in my body and blowing up a piledriver. The crappy production helps that song with its raw energy and unpolished punch straight to the testicles. Rosie is the greatest AC/DC song of all!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

*sigh* I'm guilty; I voted now. Chose Whole Lotta Rosie to keep of the two, thus eliminate Let There Be Rock (that feels funny just writing that).
    Not sure my favorite Malcolm moment. His playing on the live Donington version of Heatseeker is one of my favorites. (I watch a DVD-R from the VHS, not that awful remix they did for the DVD).

Song-by-song?

POWERAGE, NO QUESTION! :)

8. Zoot Marimba

Sweet.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Let There Be Rock.

DQ: I just loved hearing Malcolm play great rhythm under all of Angus' great lead.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap would be great.

My final two are Whole Lotta Rosie and Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be.

Thanks for a great game, Musicman!

10. Zoot Marimba

Absolutely!

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I really care much for each of these but I voted Let There Be Rock out.

My final would have been Overdose over Dog Eat Dog.

12. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Voting off Whole Lotta Rosie. This studio version of WLR is good but not as good as the live version on If You Want Blood album. The studio and live version of Let There Be Rock are both awesome.

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted off Rosie again, but it's still a great song. My desired final two would be Problem Child and Go Down. Or Overdose. Or LTBR. Lots of good choices as long as Problem Child is involved, which is probably my fave AC/DC song.

I'd like to see a Song by Song done on this album the most, and then Powerage.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

. So true; well said.

vamborules and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. jojo getback

jojo getback Forum Resident

Refuse to vote on this, both are equally superb! RIP Malcolm

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Oh, can't agree with that. The live version of WLR on the IYWB live album seriously truncates that great outgoing guitar solo by Angus. I always assumed it was a sloppy edit and that the band didn't actually perform it that way, but it bugs the crap out of me when I listen to IYWB.

My vote was for LTBR. These are the two correct finalists. As many times as I've heard them, I've never tired one bit of these two tracks.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Let There Be Rock
    Favourite Malcolm moment: just all the music.
    My top two would be Problem Child, no matter which album it's on, and Rosie.
    I'd love to participate in any AC/DC song by song, but if I were to choose it would be one of the two first Atlantic LPs.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Song by song: Powerage. Easily. There's a couple different mixes and a lot to go through on that one.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

20. theanalogkidsignals

Well, the live version is actually just the studio version sped up with alternate vocals and solos. It's pretty obvious if you listen to it compared to the LBR version and WLR compared to the rest of the live album, it sounds nothing like the rest of If You Want Blood.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is it? Why in the hell did they do that when they could have used an actual live version? Whatever it is, I can't stand how it edits out part of the guitar solo at the end when Angus is really cooking.

22. theanalogkidsignals

I think the rumor is that Harry Vanda and George Young didn't like Bon's live singing. I have no idea why they didn't just overdub him though.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I missed a bunch of rounds in this one... Voted for the title track here.

My final pair would be "Dog Eat Dog" winning over "Bad Boy Boogie". I rate "Problem Child" up there with those too, but you know... :o

Enjoying the Powerage song-by-song, it is my favourite album, so would have been my choice as well.

It is so long since I saw that, I used to have it on VHS (I guess it's still here in a box somewhere). I remember always chuckling at that moment and thinking what the point of the change was, he goes from an all black t-shirt to an, otherwise identical, all-white t-shirt (or is it the other way around), talk about stage costume. :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.