Sir Edward Elgar the "Master of the King's Musick" in 1931, opening Abbey Road Studios. Pathé film.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You have to love YouTube. Right from the nitrate negative, here you see a famous composer, born in 1857, being filmed for posterity 74 years later. Sir Edward Elgar.

Here is the Pathé newsreel of the opening of ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS, November of 1931.
    You will see the old man during a recording session of his famous Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1. This is the only surviving sound film of Elgar, who makes a brief remark before conducting the London Symphony Orchestra, asking the musicians to "play this tune as though you've never heard it before."

You can see the "modern" EMI (HMV and Columbia combined) engineering idea of using multiple microphones, the main mic being over the conductor's head (essentially hearing what he is hearing) and the side fill mics. A technique that Mercury Living Presence engineers would use 25 years later.

A memorial plaque to Elgar at Abbey Road was unveiled on 24 June 1993.

This is great stuff for music lovers like us.

2. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Awesome. The DuPre / Barenboim Cello Concerto is one of my favourite recordings ever. Thanks for posting.

Mr. Explorer, Juan Matus and deany76 like this.
  3. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

The British Pathe web resource is fantastic.

Derek Slazenger and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

It really is. You could spend hours.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

SIr Edward lived just along the road/ near by the studio too.

peace and love✌Dave

6. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

This very very cool, thank you Steve! This piece is very played out to American audiences but seeing the composer himself conduct it breathes a bit of fresh air into it. And I loved seeing them cut the master as we watched it being performed.

And the video quality of this clip is just outstanding, thanks again for sharing!!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  7. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

Elgar's Nimrod is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard. I've just started diving into more of his works. Thanks for posting.

8. Steve Hoffman

Agreed. What is the best version of his Enigma Variations?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    IronWaffle likes this.
  9. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

Great question. I bet there will be a lot of disagreement on this topic. I usually read about either Adrian Boult or Barbirolli when it comes to the the best of the best on the Enigma Variations. I started with Sir Colin Davis and the LSO's version (2007). It might not be a critics favorite but I like it. As I delve deeper into listening to classical I'm guessing I'll change my mind.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

I suggest this Columbia CD for starters. It's like 6 bucks new, good sound, great performances. elgar.jpg

Don't forget MINA and other misc. works as well..

11. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Du Pré’s recording of the cello concerto with John Barbirolli is one of the greatest recordings of all time, without (much) debate. Imo. I have it on a CD that pairs it with Janet Baker’s performance of Sea Pictures (also w/ Barbirolli). What an absolutely perfect pairing :love::love:

Boo Rad and Archtop like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks for posting that, Steve. Just fantastic.

Mr. Explorer and Steve Hoffman like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Very nice to see this. I didn't know he was also the composer of 'Land Of Hope And Glory'!
    Also, this must be the short (main) version, as I know there's a much longer version with extended and different sounding sections somewhere between, like a small symphony.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Elgar's ghost was a sort of central character to an unusual 1970s tv production of Play For Today titled 'Penda's Fen', and The Dream of Gerontius is heard throughout it along with BBC Radiophonic Workshop and it's manipulation of the Elgar.

I also think Nimrod is one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed alongside Satie's Gymnopédies and Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

15. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Amazing. Probably the most familiar piece of classical music ever written being conducted by the man who wrote it, and it's captured on film. Can't say that too often.

17. A short film presenting Hamilton Webber conducting the State Theatre Orchestra in Sydney. The State Theatre is a giant cinema in the heart of Sydney which was constructed in 1929.

I found this on a DVD about the State Theatre and I put it on YouTube because I figured somebody somewhere will be interested in it. The DVD I pulled this off is no longer in print.

18. Steve Hoffman

Yes, a triple whammy.

Splungeworthy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

A lot of people like the version made by the Halle Orchestra in 1956, conducted by Sir John Barbirolli. Originally a Pye Nixa recording, it was engineered by the Mercury recording team of Cozart and Fine, so should be self-recommending to 'Living Presence' fans.

This is the version I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-Cell...sr=1-2&keywords=enigma+variations,+barbirolli

My favourite version of the Pomp & Circumstance Marches is by Sir Georg Solti conducted the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Sir Georg, a Hungarian by birth but British by adoption, has the march in his blood but he eschews sentimentality and that makes his version work for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-Pomp...&sr=1-3&keywords=pomp+and+circumstance,+solti

McLover and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, the Pye/Mercury John Barbirolli/Halle Orchestra Enigma Variations is my preferred performance.

Mr. Explorer and Steve Hoffman like this.
  22. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

One of my favorite recordings of the Enigma Variations is Pierre Monteux and London Symphony, recorded by Decca's Kenneth Wilkinson for RCA Living Stereo in Kingsway Hall, London, on 24-25 June 1958.

As for Elgar's Pathe film, could they have used early Neumann condenser mikes? The sound is quite good for its time.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

No, they didn't use Neumann anything back in 1931! The sound was taken from the Western Electric UK microphones, fed into the HMV/Columbia (EMI) console, fed to the cutter and the BBC AND the optical recorder for the Pathe newsreel at the same time. The BBC did many broadcasts from Abbey Road and had their custom console installed there.

IronWaffle, Mr. Explorer and crispi like this.
  24. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Many thanks for posting.

Music to stir the heart and soul of any Englishman, just sublime.

Mr. Explorer and noirbar like this.
  25. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Interesting. Any photos of those mikes, presumably condenser types?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.