Estocks - Any Fans of This Seller?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

That's what I was thinking, but the written part of the barcodes are different. Maybe the scanning part is messed up...

melstapler likes this.
  2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

That's what happened with me and the UB40 disc I ordered. Their system clearly showed that they were sending me the right disc, but it never landed. In the they gave up and asked me to post them back to a Freepost address and gave me a full refund.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  3. I have purchased about a dozen CDs from Zoverstocks on Amazon with great results. The few purchases on eBay from estocks/decluttr_store have worked out as well. What I don't know is how the company makes any money on CD sales, even with the cheap acquisition costs.

Once in a while when one of my $5 CD listings with free shipping ends unsold, eBay will send an email recommending I relist it a lower price, maybe $3.29 or similar. Often that is a price decluttr_store has sold the same item. I would net less than nothing at that price with shipping, eBay, PayPal and packaging costs. I know high volume sellers get shipping discounts and have the hope the same buyer will buy multiple items at once, but selling cheap CDs on eBay isn't a business I would like to try to run. For my goal of reducing my massive CD collection, it is worth the time I spend but just barely.

Dave likes this.
  4. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

It's interesting to note that estocks ships each CD separately, even if you do order them at the same time. Surely it would be worth a little extra hassle to ship them together? :shrug:

5. Wow, that means the only savings would be the set PayPal fee, in my case it is 30 cents. A material amount for the minuscule profits they make on each CD. I did just order 2 CDs, got a 15% discount on the 2nd and I will see if that purchase is shipped together or separately.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Johnny Reb likes this.
  6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

One explanation I have been given is that due to way The Post Orifice in the UK prices letters and parcels due to thickness as well as weight, it can ultimately be cheaper to send two "skinny" packages rather than one thick one.

melstapler, Dave, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  7. I got two tracking numbers so shipped separately is how it was handled.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  8. ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    That may be true in the UK although I would be surprised. I believe most or all of my purchases are shipped from Atlanta, GA, combining CDs in a single package means big savings in the US.

9. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

One of the things their business model is based upon, I think, is speeding up the process.
    At least, that's the feeling I always had dealing with them.
    So maybe packing up singularly is still faster - possibly partially automated - than combining shippings for an occasional customer (remember that the CDs are identified - and stored, I presume - by barcode and their warehouses must be pretty big and/or full of goods).
    Maybe they have seen that this, on the long run and stretched over high numbers of items dealt with on a year basis, it is more convenient, allowing faster speed and a faster management of a high number of purchases per day. They work on quantity, after all. Small margins, but lots of them.

Same thing for QC. Better to deal with a complaining customer if the problem arises that accurately inspect discs and booklets all the time (even though It seems to me their QC got better through the years) .

Just an idea.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Well, decluttr/music magpie have their own websites, so including a bit of promotional material and slightly cheaper prices might encourage buyers to gravitate towards those online stores, cutting out the ebay/paypal fees.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Yesterday I purchased 4 CDs from the eBay decluttr store, all 4 were shipped in one package using UPS ground according to the email I received.

melstapler and Johnny Reb like this.
  12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said. As a buyer, it's not asking too much to be refunded after receiving an incorrect item. Sellers should be held responsible for misrepresentation of a product, because it's their negligence which caused the mistake in the first place. Sellers on eBay are penalized when they have to process returns and I suspect many sellers offer a refund only once an item is returned because they know it will discourage most buyers from pursuing a refund in the first place. Not to mention, if a buyer has to pay for the return shipping, they might be more inclined to take a loss and move forward, even though it was the seller who made the mistake by shipping an incorrect item. If a buyer receives an incorrect item, it's best to contact the seller first and to explain the problem before filing an incorrect item received complaint, which would count against the seller.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  13. melstapler

Exactly. The errors are caused by their cataloging system. Once a CD is entered under a particular name and call number, their cs people are unable to change the name of a title listed on eBay, Amazon or their own website. All future copies are listed under the same incorrect name and call number. Even though a cs person can address a problem and remedy a particular situation pertaining to an individual transaction, I've yet to find one who has the authority to prevent the same problem from happening to other buyers in the future.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Johnny Reb likes this.
  14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been waiting to snag a cd of David Axelrod - Seriously Deep on Cherry/El Records. The Dusty Groove version is reportedly a needle drop. Finally Estocks showed up on Ebay with the correct version - first one on Ebay in at least six months - rare! The price was 15.99 - too much for Estocks, so I waited and the price dropped to $5.99 and free shipping. As you can see, the Cherry Records version is very rare - only one copy on Amazon and that's used for 26 bucks. Estocks again!

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Seriously Deep

Johnny Reb, melstapler and tmtomh like this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Nice one! One question: Have you received this item from them yet? I ask only because sometimes eStocks is not accurate about the pressing/version in their descriptions. (Not hating on eStocks, just curious). Thanks!

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just snagged it yesterday, I've seen the complaints but the bar code matches so I'm hoping for the best!

melstapler and tmtomh like this.
  17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Good luck! Let us know what arrives if you don't mind.

melstapler likes this.
  18. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

My experience with estocks-usa has been mixed but mostly positive. I have bought probably 50 CDs from them over the past years, and perhaps 90% arrived promptly, correctly, and in good condition. I think I have had two CDs arrive with broken jewel boxes, and estocks-usa quickly refunded me a good portion of the sale price. If one takes the time to investigate, estocks often sell the same item for different prices. I bought a nice jazz CD in NM condition for less than a VG one. My experience buying direct from Decluttr is less wonderful. I ordered four or five CDs and they were shipped individually, and only two arrived on the same day. One took weeks to arrive. Obviously (perhaps), not all shipped from the same locations.

The potential for these mega-conglomerates to make misteaks is equally large, but luckily I have benefited more than lost. Thus far.

tmtomh and melstapler like this.
  19. The package was mishandled by the USPS after UPS handed it over. Not sure what it will look like it when it finally arrives, likely tomorrow or Friday, way too many stops and too much handling. The actual post office zip to deliver to me is 72211, it was there the first time 5 days ago. None of that was caused by decluttr_store but the UPS service that is ultimately delivered by the USPS has never been my preferred shipping method. Maybe a record number of stops for a delivery from Atlanta, GA to Little Rock, AR with one or two more before it will be sent out with a mailman to deliver.

Accepted by post office

Nov-21-17, 03:54 AM, Little Rock, AR 72231

Package processed by post office

Nov-20-17, 23:30 PM, Little Rock, AR 72206

An incorrect sort routed the package to the wrong post office

Nov-20-17, 08:41 AM, Hot Springs Village, AR 71909

Received by the post office

Nov-20-17, 07:51 AM, Hot Springs Village, AR 71909

Package transferred to post office

Nov-16-17, 09:00 AM, Little Rock, AR 72211

Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office

Nov-15-17, 11:33 AM, Little Rock, AR 72211

Package departed UPS Mail Innovations facility enroute to USPS for induction

Nov-15-17, 11:07 AM, La Vergne, TN 37086

Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry

Nov-15-17, 10:30 AM, La Vergne, TN 37086

Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility

Nov-15-17, 09:10 AM, La Vergne, TN 37086

Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility

Nov-15-17, 04:22 AM, Morrow, GA 30260

Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility

Nov-15-17, 01:43 AM, Morrow, GA 30260

Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

Nov-15-17, 00:01 AM, Morrow, GA 30260

Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations

Nov-14-17, 19:30 PM, Kennesaw, GA 30144

Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations

Nov-14-17, 07:48 AM

20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I bought Iris Dement's stunning Sing The Delta CD from estocks on eBay for just under £5 - the first time I've ever seen it for sale anywhere for less than around £10. (My favourite album of the decade so far, but I didn't actually have a physical copy of it.) The condition was described as "very good", but when it arrived today it was brand new and sealed. I love estocks, and I don't care who knows it.

21. I seem to have run out of luck with this seller. Three recent orders were mishandled. One included 2 CDs with only one in the sealed package, the response was they were certain it was sent, my response was check the weight of the package and it will be clear only one CD was in the package. I ordered Quadrophenia and received The Very Best of the Who, a common mistake for that particular item according to feedback. Then this order on December 20, UPS 92748999997927543432095278 with 2-CDs has never been scanned by UPS and never received by me or my local USPS office apparently since the USPS hasn't scanned it either.

Since I can't understand how their business model can succeed, I shouldn't be surprised but my luck until recently had been great.

melstapler likes this.
  22. melstapler

Same here. My most recent purchase from two weeks ago was a waste, as they shipped the wrong title. This was another situation where the title they shipped didn't match the UPC nor the artwork displayed in the actual listing. However, it was a small amount of money and I don't intend to complain or ask for a refund. I consider the loss another small donation to a seller I hope will thrive and continue to offer used titles at affordable prices in the future.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I buy from them regularly. Delivery is a bit hit and miss. All items I've recieved are in great condition.

melstapler and tmtomh like this.
  24. chelseadave

chelseadave Active Member

I have had terrible trouble with decluttr_store with the delivery of a DVD I ordered back on the 1st February 2018. It gave my home address in England but UPS showed it delivered to the local Post Office at my request. The Post Office must have been in the States because in the UK it would be the Royal Mail Depot. Anyhow i contacted UPS twice where the PO was but got no more info in there replies. Contacted decluttr_store and after giving them all the information I had including the item number and full description they asked for the Order Number. I looked at my emails from them and could not find one.
    I went to eBay to find a resolution but there is no history of my purchase. None whatsoever. They have taken the money from my Bank Account (ESTOCKS) but still no answers. I have now gone to PayPal for a resolution and after two messages still no answer. It is not much money but the principle that is important.

Weirwolfe and melstapler like this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

FWIW, Music Magpie is the UK site. I believe they are run by the same people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.