Thorens TD-124

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Does anyone on the forum have/use a Thorens TD-124 from the early 60s?

I'd love to own one, with an Ortofon tonearm, but the prices are like, Astronomical!!!

Mr.Sneis and PhxJohn like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I do. Looks better than it sounds, trust me.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I see both the tonearm and turntable on Ebay. Prices do vary quite a bit. This is how I read about audio equipment....I do a search like this 'Garrard Lab 80 any good ?'
    Then, you will get tons of info.

4. stereoguy

LOL.....just 10 minutes a ago, an Ortofon arm and Garrard 301 sold for $1,200.....AND the Arm was cracked at the counterweight end!!!

5. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I’ve got a MkII:

[​IMG]

They are lovely turntables, but need very careful restoration to unlock what they can do. Certainly not a plug and play device and if you aren’t careful they become an obsession. I know every single nut, bolt, grommet and circlip in that thing on a first name basis. It will never be as quiet as the best modern turntables, but there is something very special and musically coherent about the 124. As a example I recently put it up against a Technics SL-1200G (the fancy expensive one). Took me about five minutes to decide I preferred the 124! It may not be perfect but it sings/communicates. An Ortofon arm and SPU would be a very good end-goal.

6. stereoguy

Thank you Anthony. Funny thing, the ONLY Thorens model I like is the early 60s 124.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Mine is a very early 1957 example, serial No. 1362, the 362nd one made. I had it restored by Jim Campbell and have paired it with a Jelco 750D tonearm. I love it - put my LP12 on the shelf.

8. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

There is hardly any difference between most Mk Is and the Mk II; a very slightly different motor mount with an extra decoupling grommet and very slightly bigger motor coils on the II. The rest is cosmetic. Some very early Mk Is have a plastic bearing lining which will definitely need replacing and a different step-pulley bearing, but there aren’t many of those knocking around. There are two sub-platters, the heavy green cast iron and the lighter alloy. The former sounds a lot better (I have both), but can cause magnetic attraction issues with some MC cartridges. It is ok to use things like an SPU or DL-103 as the pull is sufficiently low it can be compensated for (about 0.4g with a 103). I suspect some modern high-end carts with really strong neodymium magnets wouod be a no-go. The iron platter can’t be used with Deccas either, which is most annoying as I’d really like one!

kt66brooklyn and Jtycho like this.
  9. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Our host has this one wrong, possibly he hasn't heard one at its best. As Tony L said there's a musical rightness about the 124 that's rarely matched. I have much more expensive players in my house yet the 124 holds its own while offering something unique. But if you're not prepared to do it right then I wouldn't bother.

Some interesting comparisons:Zero Distortion: More on restored Thorens 124

kt66brooklyn and Rolltide like this.
  10. stereoguy

I'm sure its the bees knees, sound wise. I just love the look of it and its something that I'd love to have on my audio table.

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Steve has made comments like this in the past. If I'm not mistaken, his has an ancient arm and a Shure M44, and probably a box plinth too. No wonder he's underwhelmed! (Steve, if I'm wrong about the details, feel free to set the record straight.)

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree with Steve here.
    I didn't buy it for the looks.
    And it sounds better than it looks.
    If it's just plain stock you may not be impressed enough.
    Restore and upgrade and it's phenomenal.

13. action pact

Mine is a '61, and I have also paired it with a Jelco SA-750D. I also built a massive stacked-layer plinth for it, which is a must for idler decks.

[​IMG]

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have a 124 from 1958. It lost out to my tricked out Garrard 401 for 33/45, but it truly sings for 78 playback. I'll probably restore it and give it a heavier plinth. The platter/brake system is a plus for 78's and 45's too. There are so many things that can go wrong with these through the years. I was lucky and found a nearly unused example that I could inspect in person before I bought it.

15. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

TonyL, I used a Decca 4RC and later a Decca Mk5 on my iron platter TD-124 back in the 1970s. There were no problems with the magnetic attraction but you did have to be careful setting the tracking force. I used a cheap gauge that the Decca distributor recommended, one which lifted the cartridge off the record as it was playing. That was the only way to be sure you were compensating correctly for the magnetic attraction.

It pains me to say this but I bought that TD-124 for $25.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. action pact

Yeah, I found a gently used one on ebay that had been carefully maintained, and only needed some basic servicing when I got it. It even came with a 1961 sale receipt!

kt66brooklyn and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, you could upgrade me and I'd be phenomenal as well (maybe). I'm talking about STOCK. The sound has weight but the overtones are missing. Needs fixing up. So what's the point? Why spend a fortune on a turntable that needs another fortune to get it to sound right? Just get a new turntable.

18. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Better win the Lottery!

19. action pact

20. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

21. stereoguy

LOL....Action, youre right. Thats a nice one you posted. There are some INCREDIBLE hand rubbed plinths on Google images for this table. I could look at them all day.

action pact likes this.
  22. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

Thank you, that is very interesting as I’d specifically been warned against it. Can you just confirm you were using the standard alloy top-platter and mat as pictured on my deck, not something that raised the playing surface higher? Can you remember how much the attraction worked out at in grams, e.g. IIRC a DL-103 is 0.4g and a SPU about 0.6g. I do very much like the idea of trying a SC4E at some point as it remains in many respects the best cartridge I’ve heard in my life!

PS Steve, some of us actually get a lot of enjoyment out of restoring vintage equipment, so yes, my deck has taken a lot of time and a fair bit of money. It was fun to do and far more ‘green’ than just flinging a fortune on some modern boutique kit that will likely be unsupported and not possible to maintain in few years. There is a whole marketplace around vintage Thorens, Garrard and EMT decks, a good one will outlive its buyer even now!

SAMAUL and Gavinyl like this.
  23. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Yes, standard Thorens rubber mat, nothing extra to raise the height of the record. It's been too long for me to recall the extra tracking force caused by the magnetic attraction.

I know what you mean about the sound of those old Deccas. I wish I still had one of mine so I could hear how it compares to a new LOMC. Based on my memories from 40 (!) years ago, the sound was great on many, even most, records, but on some the tracking problems were pretty annoying. I do recall the bass with my Decca Mk5 on the Thorens had a weight and power that was very satisfying.

24. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

It is the extraordinary dynamics and speed that have always struck me, Deccas make even the best conventional MM or MC carts sound somewhat shut-in and slow! I get the impression the new Paratrace fine-line tip they can be rebuilt with these days address many of the tracking issues, though a cart with next to no vertical compliance will never be great at tracking warps!

25. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Not sure if you can recommend a turntable, but for a budget of around £500 what would be your choice (I currently own a Project P2), sorry for the slightly off topic post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.