Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Party pooper...
    How about a beautiful silver #02 to get us back on track :D
    [​IMG]

2. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

And Australian first pressing...

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

Good to know, thanks.
    Still puzzles me.
    Was Tipper Gore at her peak during this release? :laugh:

4. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Love the dark blue metallic's, much better looking than the light blue's.

The australian singles 81 85 cd are crazy - I think I have about 5 different blue colour variations - all based on the blue stripe design.

Best not to collect australian CD pressings, rarely ever for sale in second hand stores, so hard to find especially when looking for variations.

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

You and Marc have incredible Mode collections. Importing prices to the US has pretty much capped my purchases unless something domestic pops up for cheap.

6. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Thanks....

it's interesting looking back on the goals I set myself and most of them took me ages to complete.

There are some goals I am yet to complete but I might get there.

I am still looking to complete a sealed numbered French CD Single set and still need 2.

I need about 20 Japanese CD's mostly sample editions and looking for some sealed ones.

And I need 2 Belgium Indisc CD singles.

Thankfully most of the hard ones have been located!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    jamesc and c-eling like this.
  7. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

BLUE Beauty! :thumbsup:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I have the German cd with the 16 tracks and much less Blue!
    mine has Light blue -Silver int 846.844

I also have the earlier Sire cd with the 11 tracks and Holland cd with the 16 tracks ( 1988 mastering)

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

A favorite as well Noomi! Nice it has all the b-sides + I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead (what a track title) :laugh:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

LOL :D

I love that in the same album you have what sounds like happy songs and also dramatic songs like Tora, Tora,Tora and photographic , it shows about the talent that the band already had and their ability to create songs with totally different atmosphere.

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  10. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

I had the same with the original Cover but sold it for 30 EURO when the special edition came out :)

c-eling likes this.
  11. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Yes it is sought after....

The Australian first pressing SPCD 1109 also has the uncropped picture sleeve. This sells up to $150 AUD.

c-eling likes this.
  12. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Is there any rough consensus on the number of different CD remasters that exist for DM?

It looks like there are at least 3 different masters for most of the 80 stuff (US, Europe, 2007 remasters), maybe at least 4 for Construction Time Again (since there's also a pre-emphasis version). For Violator, some countries had an Edit version of Personal Jesus... (don't know if the mastering is the same, otherwise). I don't know if the 90s CDs were new remasters, or if they were the 80s masters just being level-shifted, or whatever. The HDtracks stuff might be new transfers, too?

I have an INT 846.817 blue CD of The Singles 81-85 (2895 895 01 matrix) which has a really warm, analogue, round sound (and I really prefer this EQ over the 2007 remasters). I'd like to compare and find my favourite master for each DM album, but I have no idea if I'll have to compare 3, 5 or 8 different masters... I fear the 80s stuff might have a lot of options.

(If the only difference is in volume levels, that's not a "new master", for me. I'm considering different transfers, different speed, or different EQ, etc.)

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I can't offer a definitive answer to this, but based on other bands' CD catalogues, I would guess you're mostly right about the US, EU, and 2007 masterings for DM albums - but the 1980s Japan versions might have their own mastering, making a 4th version. I am not at all sure about that. The '80s Japanese DM CDs might use the identical mastering to the EU or US CDs. but with a lot of other catalogues, some or all of the '80s Japan versions have unique masterings.

Speaking of that Singles 81-85 CD, I'm wondering if folks can answer a question: Are this CD and the Sire People Are People CD the only CDs that have the "clean ending" version of "Love In Itself"? I know that "clean" version is just faded out early, but I'm just curious because People Are People is a bad (if inoffensive) sounding CD, and therefore I would assume the Singles 81-85 CD would have the best-sounding clean version of this track.

Or is there another DM CD that has this version of Love In Itself?

Thanks for any info folks can provide.

14. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Personal Jesus Edit should be exclusive to Czechoslakia CD only.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Maybe this one, judging by the length? I don't have it to confirm, though:
    DEPMOD.COM · Depeche Mode ·Love In Itself · INT 826.816

The opening sound to Love, in Itself does sound pretty horrible on The Singles 81-85 CD, though...

Yeah, but I see Discogs also list an Australian version having the edit, though I don't know if it's true or a mistake:
    Depeche Mode - Violator

16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip on the CD single - I'm sure you're right that it's the clean version there too.

RE the horrid sound of the opening to the track on the Singles 81-85 comp, thanks for the tip on that too - I didn't realize.

Seems like my best bet, then would be to manually make my own version from a rip of the track from my Mute Int or 2007 remaster of Construction Time Again.

c-eling likes this.
  17. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

"Music for the Masses" may be the exception, not the rule. But I have the CSR Japan pressed Mute 32XB, which appears to be numerically the same mastering as the European Mute CD STUMM and the domestic Sire.

AJ

18. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Mistake - I have this pressing, just listened to it and the length comes in at 4.56

tmtomh and Tsomi like this.
  19. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

147 people want that, it is a rare CD to find but assume a lot of them are going on the exclusive edit tracklisting.

I have emailed the submitter and we will get it corrected.:)

c-eling likes this.
  20. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I love pictures....

[​IMG]

21. c-eling

Not a favorite so I stuck with the old 1991 box set for that single.(Love In Itself) I did grab the 1987 ...And Live Tracks 1987 German Sonopress- Label gives it a 'Original 7 inch' and clocks at 4:20. I don't have 81-85 for comparison. I think they all sound somewhat offensive :laugh:
    The Sonopress does have more compression, than the US SRC People but EQ'd about the same. The US 1991 box set single sounded brighter.
    Is that old INT single correct on the shorter timing?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  22. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Is this what you mean - courtesy of depmod.com

1 [Album Version - Clean] (4:21)[​IMG]

Available on commercial CD / DVD releases
    Only available on non-UK/EU releases

4:21
    People Are People TI 711 ARG
    MC 3 A

People Are People ECD 81.027 ARG
    CD 3

People Are People 50.711 ARG
    CD 3

People Are People TI 711 ARG
    LP 3 A

People Are People 656.480-4 UR
    MC 3 A

People Are People CDXB-6903 MEX
    MC 3 A

People Are People LDXB-6903 MEX
    LP 3 A

People Are People 2512428 MEX
    CD 3

People Are People 92 51244 CAN
    MC 3 A

People Are People 25124-4 USA
    MC 3 A

People Are People CD 25124 CAN
    CD 3

People Are People P-13097 JAPAN
    LP 3 A

People Are People 9 25124-2 USA
    CD 3

People Are People 1-25124 USA
    LP 3 A

People Are People 9 25124-2 USA
    CD 3

People Are People 92 51241 CAN
    LP 3 A

23. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

In my opinion, it just doesn't get any better than the original US Sire CD for CTA. It's the clearest and most dynamic representation of that album you will hear in any format.

Front 242 Addict, c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  24. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

All of the original US CDs sounded great, minus the first two albums, which were a little muddy sounding (probably due to the bonus tracks that they tried to integrate into those albums)

I've only head the remasters featured in the CD/DVD combo packs, I think those are the same versions that are available digitally. They sound great overall. Worth it for the 5.1 mixes and documentaries.

tmtomh and George P like this.
  25. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

In response to Love in Itself question, just for info whether it is something you are interested in....

France CD : CDV 30041 PM 520

has Love in itself clocking in at 4.21, no fade just more of LII in More than a Party (next track)

France CD : 74321125032

has Love in itself clocking in at 4.22, no fade just more of LII in More than a Party (next track)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Front 242 Addict, c-eling and tmtomh like this.