What MC cartridge are you running ($750 or less)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Please share - also what TT / Phono stage are you running it on?

EDIT: If you have more than one, please share also, and if you care to make any comparison!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have an Ortofon Quintet Blue. Preamp is a NAD C162. Other cartridges are GE VR 1000's input to Marantz PM5005 integrated amp.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Denon DL-160; about 100 hours on it

Technics SL-1200mkII with KAB tonearm damper and isonoe feet

No external phono preamp - using the internal on my integrated

Bill Why Man likes this.
  4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Hana SH, Dynavector 10x5, Stanton 980ZLS either through a Nova II or modded Jolida 9

5. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Sumiko Bluepoint(Linn LP12 w Linn Akito) Curently into a Musical Fidelity XLP
    Denon Dl-103 (Garrard 103 w. Jelco 12") Currently into a Project Tube Box

I'm waiting for my Tom Evans microgroove to come back from repair!

6. Tablet Man

Tablet Man Forum Resident

Rega rp8 with ania
    Transcendent Sound Phono
    The Truth line stage

7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Below $750 I have a Denon DL103 and a Hana SL

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Denon DL-110 (HOMC cart)

Bill Why Man and Darksolstice like this.
  9. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have a 10X5. How does the Hana compare?

Jimi, how do you like the SL?

10. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Ortofon MC 20 Super with Sapphire Cantilever and laser drilled microridge stylus.

$60 for body (needed retipping)
    $450 for retip including replacement of aluminum cantilever with sapphire with MR stylus & rebuild of suspension

$510 Total

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Denon Dl110 SL1200mk5 and MoFi StudioPhono ;)

Bill Why Man and Darksolstice like this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

Denon 103 on a Rega RP6 into a Mytek Brooklyn. No upgraditis on this front end

13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I don't know, It is still in the box. I just bought it out of curiosity but I must find the right afternoon to swap pick-ups

14. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

Audio Technica OC9 ml II. Thorens TD-160/SME M2-9, BAT VK-P5
    I also have a Sound Smith Aida being rebuilt. Picked up the body for $200. Rebuild $350.

15. Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and AT-33PTG/II, Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm and Mcintosh C-2500

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

AT OC9 ml II on an MMF7. Recently rewired the arm back to stock. Into a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II.

17. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Hana SL into a Manley Chinook.

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

AT33PTGII, for the performance and the materials and construction you could almost call it a bargain at the circa $500 common street price.

19. TheVinylAddict

OP here

Mine - DL-110, DL-103, At33Mono. MC Phono stage: Lounge LCR / Copla. Current TT's: - SL-1200MKii and SL-1200M3D.

But I have a new (well, new to me) Yamaha GT-2000 TT and want to add an MC Stereo cartridge that is different than the DL-103 (conical). I use the 103 for my older Stereo pressings.

So an elliptical or line contact - The current ones in the mix: AT-OC9/iii, AT-33PTGii, DL-301mkii.... even the AT-33ev.

AT-OC9/ii owners - do you have the ii and not the iii because that is what was available when you bought it, or did you seek out the ii? I have read a number of discussions comparing them, but never walked away with a clear "winner". Did you consider the PTG? (although I think it is not as widely available).

AT-33PTG owners - do you consider the OC9? What was the determining factor?

Hendertuckie and Bill Why Man like this.
  20. Darksolstice

Darksolstice Forum Resident

Denon DL-110

Bill Why Man likes this.
  21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I stayed with the II even though the III was available. I didn't go with a PTG because I didn't want to spend extra money at the time. I was using an MLII that had an unexpected suspension issue after a night a drinking and spinning records. :whistle: I don't remember doing anything to it but the next morning it was not right. After very little research, a replacement MLII was purchased. The decision was made solely on picking the devil I knew.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I haven't heard an OC9 in years, though my memory of the old original ones I heard was of an unpleasant brightness, so I have made no meaningful contemporary comparison. I think the OC9 weighs a gram more and has higher compliance too, so arm matching may be something to thing about in terms of one vs. another. I went from a 33EV -- with the eliptical stylus and aluminum cantilever, which I though was relatively warm for an AT MC and one of the first MC's I really loved, to the 33PTG and the PTG is better in every way -- much better high frequency tracking and smoothness with the line contact stylus, but requires more care in getting the azimuth and tracking angle right to eliminate any brightness and perfect the channel balance. The PTG IS easily available, but I suspect its only as a gray market import -- I mean, you can order 'em from Amazon sellers with Prime free shipping at around $500, but if you're in North America I don't think you can go to a dealer to buy one.

Hendertuckie and TheVinylAddict like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

Thanks for your detailed analysis! I saw some similar comments on other forums... but of course like anything there is never a consensus!!! I own the AT-440mlb line contact I use for MM, and aware of the extra care in VTF, TF, skating to maximize performance.

Also YES on the "grey" market to get these - that is exactly how I bought my AT33Mono.... they are not "hard" to get, only mentioned because they are not mainstream US like the OC9.

Appreciate your viewpoints - definitely will weigh as I gather more data!

24. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Goldring Eroica LX is probably my favorite in that price range. Really nice, smooth but not overly smooth, sweet, detailed, no fatigue, no edginess, extremely clear sonics, highly articulate, almost perfect balance between analytical and musical. I've heard nothing yet that I would find objectionable and I've got tons of cartridges of all price ranges and can usually find something to balance good observations with, but so far not this time. Really nice.

StarDoG likes this.
  25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Denon DL110, Rega P25 into Ray Samuels Nighthawk F-117 phono stage.

Very interested in either the Rega Ania or Hana SL in the future though and would be interested in anyone's thoughts who have heard both.

maglorine and Bill Why Man like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.