GENE CLARK & CARLA OLSON–So rebellious friends! Gene taught me so much...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

So wonderful!

AlienRendel and bluemooze like this.
  3. lemonade kid

We miss you still, Gene! Like No Other.

4. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

Love this album apart from the cover of Deportee.Pity that follow up was never recorded.According to Michael Huey it was going to be all electric.Tracks scheduled were You're fire Burning and a cover of Keep Searchin.Del Shannon was also expected to contribute to the sessions.

lemonade kid and AlienRendel like this.
  5. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Just picked up a vinyl copy of So Rebellious... today at my local shop. First time I've ever seen one in the bins from here (Maine) to California!

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

A great,great album ! Unbelievable that Gene managed to crown his legacy with such grace so late in the day. Gypsy Rider is in the top echelon of his songwriting and vocalizing talents.
    And unlike a previous poster commented - the cover of Deportee is heart-wrenchingly evocative IMO.

bzfgt, adriatikfan, indigo_m and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Love your Sanderson pic :edthumbs:

..and So Rebellious is a very good album.

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I'd never known about this until now. Thanks!

lemonade kid and indigo_m like this.
  9. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I remember a time when it was fairly difficult to obtain a copy of SRAL, at least in Canada. Around 1990 I tried to order the Rhino vinyl, but was told only cassettes were available. So I ordered the cassette, only to find it was defective. As was the replacement copy.

In the end, I ended up having to wait until the Razor & Tie CD came out before I was able to hear the whole thing.

Maybe it’s due to my earlier experience with defective product, but over the years I’ve picked up each successive re-release...just to be on the safe side, lol.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Demon CD was available in Canada prior to the Razor & Tie, like you I have bought each and every version of this classic.

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

That’s right! Thank you.
    I’ve got that one too, lol.

lemonade kid and eelkiller like this.
  12. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I love So Rebellious A Lover. Wish they would have been able to do more music together

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Clark's version of Fair & Tenders Ladies is fantastic.

14. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

lemonade kid and Hep Alien like this.
  15. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I have Gene Clark's ECHOES, as well as a number of Byrds LPs and singles from back in the day -- but thank you OP for making me aware of this album. The two live YouTube entries above are simply wonderful. Have already added this LP to my shopping list. Cheers!

lemonade kid likes this.
  16. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

My, this guy had it all - the voice, the looks, the songwriting skills and whatnot. What a loss. :shake:

lemonade kid, indigo_m and CCrider92 like this.
  17. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

There's a new website for the reissue of Gene Clark and Carla Olson's So Rebellious A Lover out now!

#GeneClark #GetGeneIn #SongwritersHoF #singersongwriter #TheByrds #folkrock #classicrock #countryrock #Americana #CarlaOlson

Home

lemonade kid, Hep Alien and Mr. D like this.
  18. lemonade kid

Nice find! Where?

19. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

It was at the Merchant Company. I've never had great luck there but sometimes there is interesting (to me) stuff :)

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Just saw Carla Olson (for only the second time ever) in Santa Monica last week. She still does quite a bit of the material she did with Gene Clark. She's found another ex-Byrd to duet with -- John York. Last four songs of the night (excluding the encore) were Byrds tunes written by Gene.

When I talked to her after the show, she mentioned she will have a "new" album ON VINYL in August, a collection of tracks not previously available on lp, possibly including some unreleased material. That is, if things can be sorted out by then as far as the production of the vinyl itself (because of the blank acetate production fire).

21. lemonade kid

Seems to have been a deep musical relationship between Gene and Carla...a match made in heaven. I sure wish the unreleased material they recorded together would appear...

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I recall when Gene and Carla were playing around LA weekly and one could go and see them. I passed - always having something I needed to do or something to save my limited funds for. It’s one of my live show regrets.

I didn’t know at the time Gene was the major songwriter in the Byrds, and figured he was a distant behind Roger and David as a force of talent. And for that band he may actually be the more important member during their peak years.

bzfgt, lemonade kid and googlymoogly like this.
  23. lemonade kid

When viewing Gene live onstage, he was the frontman of the Byrds. Mr. Tambourine Man...

quicksrt likes this.
  24. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

25. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Nice to be reminded of this album, which I haven't heard for years. I had it on cassette (which I must still have up in the loft, but I can't play cassettes any more). Their voices blended so well. I'm going to have to put it on my CD shopping list.

AlmanacZinger and lemonade kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.