CBS is blacked out on Dish

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

CBS This Morning is my favorite morning news show. Late Night with Stephen Colbert is my favorite late night show. I don't watch all of both programs every day but I usually watch the first 25 minutes or so of both.

I had Dish installed about 6 months ago and was finally happy with my paid TV service provider. Today, on the morning that I most wanted to watch CBS This Morning, where they addressed the Charlie Rose suspension, BOOM! - no CBS. Grrrr..

Apparently it's due to CBS wanting to increase the rates it charges cable companies to carry it's networks. According to Dish, those rates have increased 17-fold in the last 10 years.

Now what? I would consider a digital antenna but not sure if I can use the Dish hopper to record from it and not even sure it would work in my area.

I am also looking into the CBS All-Access application. We wanted to record the Bruno Mars special on CBS next week, now that's up in the air. Ugh..

CBS Is Blacked Out on Dish as Carriage Talks Hit Snag

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

3. Veech

Only as a last resort.

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I use one 20% that size and it's on my porch in a closet. I get nearly sixty channels on my TiVo.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Getting a local CBS signal living in the hub of the television production industry, doesn't seem like that tricky an observation. I bet if you hold your jaw the right way, you could get it through your fillings.

Wire coat hanger and a 23-inch Philco? Priceless.

6. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

We still have CBS here on Dish but have had it pulled twice before in the past 5 years. In our case it was the owner of the OKC and Tulsa CBS affiliates. So it is the operator of your local CBS station that is playing hardball with Dish.

7. Veech

hah.. I live north of LA and in a fairly hilly area. Some of my neighbors have trouble getting ota signal.

8. Veech

Tt's pretty widespread according to this article. "Nearly 3 million Dish Network subscribers in 18 cities, including Los Angeles, have lost access to their local CBS television station — just two days before Thanksgiving, when many Americans want to watch NFL football.The blackout comes amid a contentious fee dispute between satellite TV provider Dish Network and CBS Corp., which owns the television stations. Customers in New York, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, Denver and other markets also were hit by the blackout, which in addition to the local stations includes three CBS cable channels: CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian Channel and Pop."

Millions of Dish customers lose CBS signals, face Thanksgiving without network's football

9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I use one of these, which sits on the ledge of my front window, which is oriented perfectly toward Mt. Wilson. It measures 21" W x 2" H x 1/2" D, and can be easily stowed behind the TV when not in use.

[​IMG]

Veech likes this.
  10. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

My condo, built in the late 70's has an antenna installed in the attic with in-wall cabling. I have set connected to cable and the antenna and do switch back and forth when necessary.

11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I have Verizon FIOS and I had no Univision channels for awhile. Get used to it, this will occur frequently.

12. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

We've never had this problem with DirecTV since we've had it, but there have been many times over the years where there were banners going across the screen saying that Dish network users may lose a channel or group of channels due to the price games between the networks and Dish.

13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

As a wise man once said: "Blow up your TV"

Sit outside or inside (if weather dictates), pour a nice drink (or light a fattie if this is your preference), look at the stars, talk to your lover, take in the moment and enjoy.
    Life is short.

14. Veech

Good advice!

15. Veech

I compared DirecTV to Dish before deciding on Dish. Don't remember what the deciding factor was, maybe price or channel options? Smart move by CBS to go dark on Dish 2 days before the Thanksgiving Day games. I think Dish might cave by tomorrow night even if it means a rate increase.

16. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Our local CBS affiliate pulled their signal off Directv right before last year's NCAA basketball tournament. It stayed off of Directv for around six weeks. Of course each side bashed the other for causing the problem. During the time our CBS affiliate was off Directv, I subscribed to CBS All Access. Now our neighbors, who are on Dish Network, are experiencing the exact same problem because the same CBS affiliate pulled their signal off Dish starting around three weeks ago. This entire situation is a mess, and some type of better solution needs to be found.

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

NOT the place to discuss CBS programming, please!

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Good thing I still have CBS. But it’s cable though.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

These issues always end up being resolved within a few weeks. I know it's a pain but I can't imagine the blackout will last very long.

In the meantime, just get a good indoor HDTV antenna and watch your local CBS affiliate with that.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There's an hour left on this one on amazon:
    http://a.co/fcCkiMJ
    $109 normally, now it is $17

Veech and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

$109? That is funny. Doubt it is worth $5 unless your desperate.

MikaelaArsenault and beat_truck like this.
  22. Veech

Shows $25.99 for me.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah you missed the window it ended right after I posted that

24. Veech

Thanks.. don't think an antenna will help me anyway. I've checked with neighbors on nextdoor and everyone near me says we just can't get ota signal, we're in a valley surrounded by hills and mountains. I went to a website that estimates what ota signals you can receive by plugging in your address and we're SOL.

ugh.

May have to go with CBS All Access app? Thing is, I think we can only access it through Hulu (which we have) but I don't know if we can DVR shows from it with the dish hopper. We really want to watch the Bruno Mars special next week on CBS.

25. Veech

Well that didn't take too long, CBS and Dish have reached an agreement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.