Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now listening to this Glenn Gould album of Beethoven's Concerto No. 1 and Bach's Concerto No. 5, recorded in the spring/summer of 1958 at Columbia's 30th Street Studio, NYC.
    This is a Columbia Masterworks 6-eye stereo LP, released Oct. 6, 1958.

[​IMG]

The photo on the CD cover below was taken during the April 1958 recording session of the Beethoven Concerto No.1, showing Gould following the score while listening to the playback in the control room. Note the score is signed "Howard Scott," who was the producer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    crispi, BlueTrane, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Hmm, looks like this recording could be in that 80-CD Glenn Gould Original Jacket box in my collection ...

3. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Played/playing BC Haydn Edition CD86/87 String Quartets by Buchberger Quartet
    Sounds as good as the gushing Amazon reviewers say it does :righton:

[​IMG]

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Thanks... I actually have two of them. The other one has a Denon DL-103R cart mounted on it. I find its conical-tip stylus better suited for some older records that I have.

[​IMG]

McLover, crispi and Mowgli like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It definitely is. :righton:

6. Disc #35 of Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition. this one covers marches and divertimenti by 6 or more players.
    [​IMG]
    March in D major K290
    Divertimento in D major K205
    [​IMG]
    Divertimento in B flat major K186
    Divertimento in E flat major K166
    Divertimento in C major K188
    [​IMG]
    Divertimento in D major K251 "Nannerl-Septett"

7. coopmv

:edthumbs:

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

One of my duplicates from the box. I have the Serenades and Divertimenti box from the 90s that you posted.

mdekoning likes this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing Beethoven's Symphony No.2 and "Creatures of Prometheus" Overture. Antal Dorati conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
    No dates given, but I suspect this Mercury "Golden Imports" LP is a re-release that was issued in the late '70s. Nice sound!

[​IMG]

McLover, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  10. coopmv

Just about all classical music collectors have some recordings by the ASMIF ...

McLover and julesd68 like this.
  11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I think I can spot a modern Thorens in the corner there - how does that compare to your other decks?

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I didn't even look at the quote and I knew immediately what you meant because it's true.

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Going on the TT this afternoon are these colorful works from Benjamin Britten -- Four Sea Interludes & Passacaglia from "Peter Grimes," plus the Sinfonia da Requiem, Op.20. André Previn ably conducts the London Symphony Orchestra.

This is an Angel Quadraphonic (SQ-encoded) release from 1976, although I'm playing it in plain ole stereo. Recorded in England by EMI.

[​IMG]

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

You have a sharp eye! That thing hiding in the shadows is a Thorens TD-2030. It is acts as my "reference" deck and, honestly, it outperforms both of the vintage 'tables in every respect. It's a beautifully designed machine, but I don't play it nearly as often because it's not as much fun to use and watch as the old, gold Empires. And what's a music hobby if not fun? ;)

[​IMG]

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now on the turntable, "Handel - Theatre Music - The Alchymist / Comus" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Featuring:
    Patrizia Kwella (soprano)
    Margaret Cable (mezzo soprano)
    David Thomas (bass)

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  16. bluemooze

My Man! :righton:

17. bluemooze

Well, things don't always work out. After over 20 years of commendable service the Aragon amp is making funny noises in one channel. Probably needs new capacitors and/or whatever. So for the last three days I've been very much enjoying my new tube amp. I always wanted one and this one is on sale so I figured I'd give it a try. It's a Prima Luna Prologue 4 and it produces sonic bliss (to my ears). :)

[​IMG]

Bachtoven, Mowgli, julesd68 and 2 others like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Congratulations on the new amp!! :righton: Looks very handsome. I'm sure it sounds grand, too!

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Congrats on the new amp Bluemooze!!

If I may ask, what do you feel you gained/lost switching from a relatively high powered solid state amp to a mid-powered tube amp?

This drives your KEF 104/2's, right?

21. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Listening to this 3 LP set this evening. I love these Debussy works and I especially love how Boulez interprets them. Very exciting and dynamic performances. Probably my favorite Debussy!

[​IMG]

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I mostly bought this for the Szymanowski Sonata No.2, and Debargue certainly doesn't disappoint! He plays with tremendous flair and virtuosity, seemingly unfazed by its colossal difficulties. The Schubert sounds good too, though he may be too much of an "interventionist" for some listeners. Excellent sound.

[​IMG]

23. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Very nice, clean looking deck that - great to have the choice!

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  24. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Glowing bottles of tube loveliness - enjoy! :love:

You could have some serious fun with tube rolling if you have the energy for it too ...

Eigenvector likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member