Thorens TD-124

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I could not go on reading there when somebody pulled the Lenco L75 into the discussion. I witnessed those times and the cheapest TT you could buy was an L75. Pioneer PL12D or later 112D was the second cheapest option. Going up with quality and price there were the best Duals, then the Garrard zero, then the Thorenses or the Garrard 301/401. The L75 price was what? some like 1/8 of a TD125? Now any fool is authorised to talk about TD124 OR L75 as if they were or are in the same league. Not at all, never were, never will be.

2xUeL, Agitater, stuwee and 2 others like this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Great advice...thank you!

action pact likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Let us know how it works out!

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Agree with you (I think, if I'm reading you correctly).
    From that link I read this, which is laughable:
    "Awsmone yes, torque of 124 is less than lenco. As mentioned, lenco has more drive and slam, 124 more detail, and though it has less drive and slam than lenco, it is sufficiently high."
    Wtf?

Although, I did find this link a little more interesting:
    More on restored Thorens 124 – Zero Distortion

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think there are an awful lot of GL-75 owners who genuinely believe they are getting 124, 301 or 401 performance on the cheap without realising that even with a 124 etc., performance doesn't come cheap and without getting to hear what a properly done 124 sounds like. Personally I'd rather have a PL-12 than a bog standard GL-75 and I've owned several of each, spend real money on the GL -75 and you can greatly lift it's performance, but then you may as well buy a better idler to start with.

SandAndGlass and Jimi Floyd like this.
  6. Jimi Floyd

Well, I am a TD124 lover and owner, but it is very hard to believe that somebody honestly find it superior to an SME 30/2...

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Have you compared?

The thing about the 124 is that you don't have to suddenly drop 8k on a restoration.
    You can upgrade incrementally and still get the sound.
    People have been dumping their more modern, expensive turntables for years in exchange for the 124.
    It's not a fad or fashion.
    It's not looks.
    It's about the sound.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree, but I also know you are a SME lover as well.:D

stuwee and Jimi Floyd like this.
  9. Jimi Floyd

Right now I have an SME 10 on the left and a TD124 on the right....

[​IMG]

Twinsfan007, Joe F, willied and 7 others like this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

By the end of the year I will have my Michell Orbe/SME IV on the left and my Garrard 301/SME M2 12R on the right, like you the best of both worlds, new and old.

IanL and Jimi Floyd like this.
  11. Jimi Floyd

That will be a fantastic duo!

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Question: Aren't you concerned that the TD-124 motor is not getting any ventilation?

2xUeL likes this.
  13. Jimi Floyd

I measured the motor temperature and it reaches 45°C after more than 4 hours continuous run, so it doesn't appear to be a problem

[​IMG]

Y is temperature in °C, X is running time in minutes

hvbias, 2xUeL, Agitater and 1 other person like this.
  14. stereoguy

I will, thanks!

Forum member kt66brooklyn has an un-refurbished one he's using for 78s only, which to me, seems like a waste. I've PM'd him asking if he might want to sell or sell/trade, havent heard back yet. If I dont hear back in the next couple of days I may buy the one on ebay with no tonearm and just make it a project. The plus there is that I could put the 60s Ortofon arm on it, the one I really like.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

In case you haven't seen it, there's a restored 124 with new plinth on USAM for $1500, no arm but looks pretty nice, been there for awhile, been tempted myself, but common sense has prevailed... so far.

Thorens TD 124 MK II completely rebuit ( $550) with $650 wood plinth

IanL and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. stereoguy

Davey, thank you so much for posting that. Thats tempting , but $1,500 with no tone arm at all.........dunno if thats too much or not. plus its holiday time and money tends to be tight.

17. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Which one sounds better?

18. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I can't speak for Jimi, but, I would say the 124 will win the deep bass to upper mid range, the SME get the best overall smooth sound...I can't believe I'm saying this :faint:

19. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

This has nothing at all to do with purchase price or simplistic audio consumerism; no one serious about a Lenco is simply plonking an original example in their system. The folk who love these decks are serious DIY builders who recognise the Lenco has a great motor and drive system, a really good platter and a reasonable main bearing (that can be improved). The rest is discarded. If you just want to buy hi-fi a Lenco is of no use to you, if however you have a really good grasp of engineering and the skill to build things they really can be the basis of a deck that will compete at any over-priced boutique audiophile level. There is a very interesting forum dedicated to these turntables here: Lenco heaven. Everything from the ridiculous to the sublime exists there!

PS I’ve heard a few of the better ones and they really are something special.

googlymoogly and 2xUeL like this.
  20. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I consider myself very decerning when it comes to sound quality, and that is why I have a td-124 mk2 as my TT. Sure I could procure a new SME but they lack something for me, even though an SME 20 would suit my rig just fine.

[​IMG]

the 124's, when restored with care and love so just so very right and I for one will never part with my example. It will probably go to my nephew one day when I am no longer here to give her a whirl

TD-124 Mk2, SME 3009, Ortofon 2M Black , fully restored

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Twinsfan007, Joe F, stuwee and 5 others like this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Tony, I think we're all aware of Lenco Heaven and some of us are also aware of the time, skill and money you've put into your decks, I've certainly enjoyed following your progress, but when it comes to GL-75s it's relatively low entry cost encourages many people to have a go and let's face it, some of them shouldn't be allowed near a vintage deck. Sticking a poorly serviced GL-75 into a lump of slate or ply may solve some issues, but it doesn't make a 124, 301, 401 killer, then there is the arm issue, you are either stuck with the poor arm, faced with limited drop in replacement options or need to do major surgery and some people really butcher the metalwork. I'm not saying you can't get a great sounding and great looking GL-75 just that it perhaps requires more effort than with the more expensive alternatives and a mint stock GL-75 won't better a mint stock 124, although admittedly I've never heard them with identical arms and that's definitely in the 124's favour.

I still have a G-99 and a GL-75 parts donor, once my finances have recovered I intend to get it fully serviced and restored, in an identical plinth to my 301 and fitted with an identical arm, that will be a fair and interesting comparison, I'm not sure which I will prefer.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  22. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

Agreed. I don’t think I understated the skill and time, I was just pointing out it is wrong to write these decks off as junk, they are anything but.

Your G99 should be an easy fix-up assuming it is tidy. Just stripping it down and really servicing it, putting a good idler wheel on it (the original plastic one is terrible) and mounting it in a nice solid plinth with a good arm and cart (sky is the limit) will get you a sound it costs a lot to equal or better these days. It is a very good motor unit.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, I think I'll do my G-99 myself, it's relatively straightforward and as mentioned I have a mint GL-75 to donate any parts including a better Idler wheel, it's also in a lot better condition than my 301 was, the current cost of 12" SMEs is what's going to hold the project up.:)

24. Jimi Floyd

Is that a bronze knife edge bearing I am spotting on your 3009?

25. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Since we’re showing ours... [​IMG]

Joe F, googlymoogly, willied and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.