Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It looks like there have been changes to the listing since yesterday, but only the USA version is complete enough to be considered accurate.
    The USA version has a matrix that indicates lacquer cut by Chris Bellman, and pressed at Record Industry (same as recent Hitchhiker release)

EU
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon

USA
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon

jumpinjulian likes this.
  2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The label on the USA states made in the Netherlands too.
    Looks like there's most likely only one pressing.

3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Your ripping the wrong guy that was me. Sorry if I offended you with my 'uh' comment wasn't my intention. Was just trying to state that the original was not 2 LP.

Born and raised in Philly.....let me know if you want me to stop by and pick that one up for you I'm still close by.

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

uh....I believe you're talking about another person. I never said it was weld.

5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I apologize. It was me. A clumsy try to make an innocent joke that failed because my lack of good English language skills. I mix some titles myself, so I thought that Hey Vinyl Man could have mixed Ragged Glory and Weld, which for me are very close and related.

Hey Vinyl Man and Kevin j like this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

no need to apologize, friend.

Hey Vinyl Man and mick_sh like this.
  7. Arc Weld would have been funnier :tiphat:

8. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Anxiously awaiting a review from anybody who has heard this. One of my all time favourite albums — hoping I can grab one tomorrow.

Mateo Sanboval, DeRosa and Johan1880 like this.
  9. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Same!!

Also, I find it curious that, as someone mentioned upthread, there is no NYA branding on this LP anywhere. Seems to run counter to most of what we've seen from him these past few years.

alexpop likes this.
  10. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

Yes was thinking the same. Hopefully not a indicator that it won’t come out as a general release...

11. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Already Black Friday here in New Zealand, I've a copy on the way from a store out of town as my local didn't order any copies...(sigh). The CD is great, but hope that the vinyl brings out a little more. Nice to have this in with the Neil Young vinyl section of my collection.

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I'm trying to decide if this can be a significant upgrade over my original vinyl, considering the source.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Listed in the Music Direct catalog for $24. A definite purchase.

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm thinking if it would of been re-eq'd at least it would of been done in 24 bit domain, since it's not, if anything being stretched over two lp's the volume is probably boosted.
    Just a guess. I'm hoping I can source one.

15. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I’d have to believe that running it all back through a quality desk with an expert at the controls can really make a record shine. I think in the age of 192khz technology recording people forget that a well recorded album will sound nice regardless of resolution (to an extent).

I had this album on cd and am currently steaming from Apple Music and it sounds nice. It never had a lush bottom end but the vocals really sparkle.

I’d venture it will be good and I’m cretainly buying it.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate that NYA thing.

17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Understood, and no hard feelings. I thought you probably were joking, to tell you the truth.

The catch - which you had no way of knowing - is that despite its similarities to Weld, there is no way on Earth I would ever confuse Ragged Glory with any other album, ever. It's exceptionally dear to me because I bought it the summer after my freshman year in college (on the aforementioned cassette - I didn't own a CD player yet and I didn't know at the time that the vinyl even existed). That year had been a disaster in every way imaginable, starting with me not wanting to go to college at all but my parents would hear nothing of it, and ending with me almost flunking out and feeling even more sure that I didn't belong there. I'd also suffered my first real heartbreak along the way, and also lost touch with the closest friend I'd ever had (I thought for years he was dead, until he turned up on Facebook 20 years later).

I spent the summer working in fast food, which was surprisingly enjoyable, but still - fast food. My parents had moved the summer before, so I didn't even have any local friends except for my co-workers. So when I wasn't slinging curly fries, I was trying to coexist with my parents, who could barely stand the sight of me and vice versa. As I spent my off-hours in my room, licking my wounds and trying to get my self-worth back together and find a reason to look forward to going back to school, Ragged Glory and its mix of anger and hope and fierce love helped me along in ways I can't even describe, but that certainly were real. "You've got to let your guard down/you've got to take a chance on love" is easier said than done for a guy who just did do that for the first time and got his heart slaughtered, but it is good advice! Getting "another hundred thousand miles away from the days that used to be" sounded pretty darned good to me right then, but I did manage to get it through my head that I wasn't likely to get there without an education. And so on.

So it's one of a very small subset of my collection that I have a very unique emotional connection to, to this very day. While I did know of Weld at the time, I didn't get around to buying a copy until several years later. And it's an excellent album, but it's no Ragged Glory. Nothing is!

18. alexpop

Is side 4 a white label?

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Etching.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Anybody get(ing)Big Star ⭐️ live RSD?

21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just picked up the sole copy my local store had in stock! (I’m in the UK)

22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just spinning this now.

Nice smooth matt gatefold sleeve, with 10" insert, lyrics on one side, moon pic on the other. No NYA logo.
    In the bottom right hand corner it has a box that says "source - mastered from digital".

The pressing is very similar to Hitchhiker. Standard weight vinyl, not 100% flat but not the worst I've ever seen. Tan Reprise labels, made in the Netherlands.
    Still using those horrid matt white inner sleeves but my records look unharmed.

It sounds very dynamic. The original CD had good DR and that seems to be fully intact here.
    The backing vocals on "Unknown Legend" for example really seem to stand out, but not in an obtrusive way.
    Neil's voice really stands out from the music, nice and clear.
    You can hear all the brush strokes on "Harvest Moon". All those nuances are in tact so overall it seems like another job well done.

That said, I'm still only on side 1 so my opinion could change! :biglaugh:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    alexpop and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  23. Tapehead

Tapehead Forum Resident

I’ve managed to order a copy online which is extremely handy because I live far away from any record shops and am working today. Looking forward to hearing everybody’s thoughts on this once they’ve had a chance to give it a spin.

24. alexpop

My local had two copies ( one lefty :)).
    Thickness 150/160 gram.
    Bargain. Grab it now should be on tbe sticker.

vudicus likes this.
  25. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Is this still the only CD edition of HM? I'm not very familiar with the Neil Young Catalogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.