Is ImportCds good enough?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MikeManaic61, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just got a Blu-ray from them. Little pressed corrugated thingie. No damage.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Import CDs get a lot of my business 'cause:
    1. Prices are very good
    2. They deal with Canadians via Amazon, eBay and their own site
    Lately they have provided me tracking numbers so I know when to expect the product, shipping is not as fast as some others but the savings make up for it.

Bender Rodriguez, jsayers and Dave like this.
  3. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

I've used them consistently over the past 4 or 5 years and only had one mix up. I order directly from their website though, don't order via Amazon. If you go directly from their website you can choose expedited shipping for about a dollar more than standard and 9 times out of 10 it gets to you in two days. I always compare carts of like items between Amazon and ImportCDs and ImportCDs is usually cheaper.

4. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I've used them a few times for Audio Fidelity releases as their prices and postage costs to the UK are very reasonable ($6.99 shipping). Packing with cardboard is good too. I was also quite impressed when they refunded my payment without me chasing it for when the Spirit Clear SACD release was delayed 'indefinitely!'

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I bought a mono White Album from them and I got a birthday discount on it. They packed it really well and it arrived when they said it would.

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I agree - very reliable, great prices, items always arrive in good shape. Even when they use the cheap-looking sticky corrugated cardboard mailer, it protects the item well.

I do agree that the DHL/USPS hybrid system lengthens the time in transit, but there are two notable plusses to it despite that: (1) DHL and USPS have solved the tracking issues they used to have, so after a day or two the item can be tracked online very easily; and more importantly (2) Because USPS does the final delivery, if the item is a CD, you get it in your mail slot or mailbox, unlike Amazon's AMZL deliveries, which often end up on your front step where they can get stolen, even if the package is small enough to fit in a mail slot/box.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Ordered a bunch of stuff from them in a long time and have had ok experiences so far; their packing is about on par with Amazon- throw a bunch of heavy box sets in a larger box with a small bit of brown packing paper :) So far nothing damaged too bad.

Does "back order" status mean it's highly unlikely they'll receive the item? This is an in print box from a European label.

8. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I've been using them for years on hundreds of orders, they are just fine, better prices than Amazon. Happy customer!

jsayers likes this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. It means forget it, look elsewhere.:laugh:

ILovethebassclarinet and hvbias like this.
  10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great hearing all of this feedback, guys! Keep it up:edthumbs:

11. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Correct, I'm tracking a shipment now that just got delivered to my local postal service. It works fine, it just takes a few more days for delivery. I don't do Amazon so these guys get more of my business. I'd wait a few more days for a delivery if it means cheaper prices, I can live with it. The sticky cardboard mailers work fine also, never had a problem with them.

ClassicalCD and tmtomh like this.
  12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good for you. Amazon Prime has spoiled me in a way with their 2 day shipping
    process.

Myke likes this.
  13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'll never order through them again unless it's something where there is only one edition so there can be no dispute as to what I ordered and paid for versus what they delivered.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Excellent service to Western Australia and usually significantly cheaper.

Mylene likes this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I buy very little in the way of physical media nowadays, but back when I was filling my storage shelves with CDs, many of them used, a good number were purchased from importcds through Amazon.com, .ca, and .uk. Never ever had a problem with them.

And by-the-by, if you are still into buying used CDs and the like online, I suggest you search all three of the aforementioned sites (and others of course) before hitting the buy button. In many cases I could get the same CD from the same seller (like importcds) much much cheaper from one site rather than the others, even after varying shipping charges and exchange rates (and the very rare import duty) were factored in. The difference in shipping times was acceptable - but I was never in a panic to get a particular disc (given that I was buying a few dozen a week at times.)

Jeff

Martyn likes this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

In most cases you will probably be SOL however I ordered two box sets earlier this year, both listed as backordered but 40% less than anywhere else that deals with foreigners, I took the gamble and ordered and they did get them back in the following week. Same thing happened with a few SACD's in another order.

So there is always a slim chance they will get them back in before the automatic refund. :)

hvbias likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks guys. Figured it was worth a shot :)

Now to figure out why they charged me nearly 50% more for a preordered item that shipped early, but was part of a larger order.

Price when checking out- $22
    Shipping email- says $28
    Logging into my credit card actual amount charged $33 :laugh:

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ve ordered CDs from them lot many times and never had a problem. Usually takes 3 weeks to Canada.

Dave likes this.
  19. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I just got six lps from them today. Bomb proof packing in a double box, AND it showed up FAST. I wasn't expecting it til maybe Friday and it was here this morning....:thumbsup:

tmtomh and Myke like this.
  20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Never had an issue with them, and order from them frequently. Only thing that ticks me off is that besides the Ebay store specials THEY NEVER OFFER FREE SHIPPING! But even after shipping they are still often the best price. In my experience they have been a little slower to ship out than their competitors (Music direct, acoustic sounds, soundstage, etc.). But this could also be a function of the titles I've purchased from them.

21. The only problem I've ever had with ImportCDs is the thin mailer they use for single CD purchases. The way the Postal Service in my area handles that type of packaging, it invariably cracks the jewel case.

In terms of everything else, they are a reliable, efficient retailer.

22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I was working on my computer tonight and I found a little diary I had made back in 2014 about my worst encounter with importcds. I had had a couple other more minor problems with them before, but this one was the last straw, and I've avoided them ever since:

- Thursday July 3: Ordered two CDs, paid via Paypal. Immediately realized that I had accidentally ordered one wrong one and sent a message to them by both email and their on-line contact form. I asked if they could either substitute the correct item and charge me the difference in price, or to cancel the order altogether and I would re-order.

- Saturday July 5: None of my messages were responded to. I got a notice saying the order had shipped.

- Monday July 14: I received a package from them containing two DVDs unrelated to my original order. I sent a message to them by both email and the contact form.

- Tuesday July 15: My messages have been ignored, so I did some Internet searching and found a phone number for their apparent parent company (Super D) who, when I called them, gave me a direct number for importcds.com (855-258-9650). My call was answered by a nice lady who seemed to understand my situation and who promised to issue me a credit and to send me a prepaid shipping label right away for returning the wrong items. She said that they would issue me a credit and that I had 30 days to send the incorrect items back, but that they would charge me for them if not received by then. She said my messages had not been responded to because of a holiday. I don't really buy
    that, but I let it go.

- Monday July 28: It's been 2 weeks now and I have still not received the shipping label, so I sent another message via email and their contact form. I checked Paypal, and the credit was, indeed, issued.

- Tuesday July 29: I have still not received the label or any response to my messages, so I called again at about 11 AM Pacific time, and again at about 1 PM. Their phone greeting says simply that the office is closed and to leave a message. No mention of their business hours.

When I realized my ordering mistake, I hoped (but didn't assume) that they would be willing or able to fix it for me, but I expected at least an acknowledgement of my message, even if to say they couldn't accommodate me. What I don't expect is for all of my messages to them to be ignored. I don't expect a shipping label to take over two weeks to get to Massachusetts from California. I don't expect them to be closed during regular business hours. I don't expect a company to hide their telephone number.

At this point, I have my money back. I think, but I'm not certain, that they can't actually charge my Paypal account again without my permission, despite what they stated. So, the ball's really in their court now and I don't really need to care any more. I've done all that I can, and if they want their DVDs back, they'll have to make it happen.

I should have done more research about them before I ordered. I see lots of complaints about them on the 'net and even in this forum. I'll avoid this company in the future because of their terrible customer service. I'm starting to wonder if the company is even still alive. Maybe the decision has been made for me.

=============

Wed. July 30 - called twice. Greeting said "Office closed." Left one message.

Thurs, July 31 - called at 1:05 PM ET. "Office Closed". Left message

Tues, Aug 5 - "Office Closed" – left message

Wed. Aug 6 - call 6:50 PM ET... "Office Closed" – left message

Friday Aug 8 - finally received label via email

Saturday Aug 9 - mailed DVDs

Mon. Aug 18 - finally received their prepaid label in postal mail... postmarked 8/14! I called to see if DVDs had been received - phone greeting was "Our office is closed. Please call back during normal business hours."

The End.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

Never had a problem with them over the last several years. My first choice is Amazon since I have Prime for now, but if a CD isn't available that way, or it's too expensive, importcds is usually my next choice. I don't like how they use DHL since it takes longer, but lately it seems like I've received the items quicker now. Maybe 4-5 business days instead of 7 or more.

24. Had good service with them when i bought a CD that was defective twice (both made by Sony DADC factory defect not their fault) and they sent me a return label quickly by email and a refund. Third CD was good. Overall pretty happy and good response. Shipping (DHL) is slow, but it is low priced, so it is reasonable.

Would use them again no doubt and have done so.

25. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident