Tommy Keene RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stoneknuckle, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

What a bummer, he really should have been huge. R.I.P. Hope there's some wine left to drink a toast.

Kingsley Fats and PhilBiker like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

In his sleep. Just horrible.

3. davers

davers Forum Resident

Oh no, such sad news. I literally just finished spinning his '89 Geffen CD "Based On Happy Times" on the way home from the family Thanksgiving when I saw this news.

Tommy's been cranking out amazing, timeless power pop over the past 30+ years.

I finally saw him live at a Seattle club around 2013 or so...seeing him rock an intimate club setting was pretty great. To top it off he was friendly and easy to chat with after the show.

4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

listening to "10 years after" right now. 59 is way too young.

melstapler likes this.
  5. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

Back when I travelled for work, I would burn a TK CD to take with me. When my trip was done, I would leave it in the CD player of the rental car, hoping to create another fan. I always felt he was one of those artists that if people would hear it,they would love it. Undeniable great pop. Terrible loss

6. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It's better than a pack of wolves.

JL6161 and PhilBiker like this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

S h * t. This dying thing keeps happening, and now Tommy Keene... this really bites. :mad:

PhilBiker and melstapler like this.
  8. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I was fortunate to see Tommy perform with Robert Pollard at a radio conference in 2006. Late night in a Louisville hotel ballroom, only 20-25 people there. Some solo Pollard tunes, some Keene Brothers, some GBV.

Bob passed out cans of beer to everyone and Tommy played a solo while sitting on my lap. They performed like they were at Madison Square Gardens — tons of energy and fun. I’ll never forget it.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's one way of looking at it.

10. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

He was so consistent and so self-effacing, that I think a lot of us took him for granted, and assumed he'd be around forever. Such a loss.

JL6161, levi, davers and 2 others like this.
  11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm shocked.

He used to play at Maxwell's when I worked there and I remember him as a very nice guy. He was signed to Geffen and was tipped to be star, but it never happened for him. He has continued to make excellent albums. The last time that I saw him was at The Rock Shop in Brooklyn.

Rest In Peace Tommy.

PhilBiker, factory44 and melstapler like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yes. This is an essential collection that included the "Places That Are Gone" EP plus another five songs from those sessions, and a bunch of other lost tracks and rarities, mostly pre-Geffen era.
    [​IMG]
    We're all getting used to seeing our favorite artists pass away, but this one really hurts.

BlueTrane, PhilBiker, DME1061 and 5 others like this.
  14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Unbelievable. Such an incredible singer-songwriter and a master guitarist. I have all of his albums going back to the "Strange Alliance" LP and have enjoyed everything he's done since. Several years ago, I saw Tommy when he was touring with Sally Crewe and her group. Tommy always seemed so youthful and energetic, never expected him to die so young. Such a shock, hands are shaking as I type this. RIP Tommy

15. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

I am in total schock , i opened SH Forum this morning and this , so unexpected .
    i am just crying and crying now , i cant express the feelings ,, Tommy 's songs and voice made me so happy
    he was a genius and such a gentleman when i finally met with him in the nineties in Paris .
    this is unbelievable
    this songs sums it up right now
    RIP Tommy

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Shocked. Great new wave indie pop from the 80's and 90's.
    Ill get my vinyl out tonight.
    R.I.P Tommy.

17. jricc

jricc Senior Member

RIP Tommy Keene

18. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Losing someone on the magnitude of Tom Petty is bad enough, but at least you feel the whole world grieving with you. Losing Tommy Keene is like losing a friend that more people should have known about.

Songs from the Film made me an instant fan. The Keene Brothers album he made with Bob Pollard is everything you could ever want from a power pop record. I saw him open for Guided By Voices at the 930 Club and was hoping to catch up again one day with him and Matthew Sweet.

So sad he's gone. Gonna let that beautiful chiming guitar fill the house today.

BlueTrane, PhilBiker, JL6161 and 5 others like this.
  19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

He did a really nice cover of Television's Guiding Light, too.

Seems appropriate now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    DME1061 and Guy E like this.
  20. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Wow, this is sad news.

Anyone who is a fan of power pop needs to have some Tommy Keene in their collection...

Kingsley Fats and PhilBiker like this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I got to hang out with Tommy for a bit after an Ascended Masters gig. Just a super nice guy, and a peerless guitarist.

Respect.

phillyal1, davers and levi like this.
  22. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Another heartbreaking day for music lovers in a year that had so many of them.

You will be missed T0mmy.

PhilBiker and levi like this.
  23. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

What awful news. Tommy has been a favorite of mine since the Places EP. Sadly his sales and recognition didn't match his ability. He should have been huge. Maybe he can meet up with Alex Chilton, Chris Bell and a slew of others to form that Power Pop super group in the sky. RIP Tommy

24. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

The IDEA of Tommy Keene seemed awesome to me, as I read about his indie label e.p.s in the early 80s... but those records never made their way into my deep south record stores. I got Songs From The Film the day it came out, and I don't think I listened to any album more in 1986 (maybe Skylarking or The Queen Is Dead, but I doubt it). The Run Now e.p. was amazing also! The expanded CD of Songs has that e.p. and some other great outtakes, and the segue from "Kill Your Sons" to "Call On Me" is seamless and super-cool, which the vinyl couldn't provide due to flipping the disc.

But THIS is what I truly returned to over the years; I recorded it to VHS the night it aired on MTV (along with Lloyd Cole & The Commotions' set from the same night/venue):

Incredible performance, and probably the reason I've used Telecasters as my primary electric guitar over the last 30 years as a musician. My VHS tape finally (literally) fell apart in 2001.

This was an unexpected kick in the gut, losing TK. I never got to see him live... thought I would get around to it. JP

JL6161, JoeRockhead, sixelsix and 8 others like this.
  25. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I saw him play guitar with Bob Pollard on his From a Compound Eye solo tour. He was a great friend on Facebook too who responded to posts and liked my posts on other topics. Sadly under appreciated and under rated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.