Need help with Project Carbon Debut motor tapping sound.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Lux, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

I've generally been quite pleased with my Project Carbon Debut (with red Ortofon) other than the sometimes annoying motor hum which is usually easily blocked out by the music when playing a record. But now, on top of the hum, there is a quick tapping noise in the motor (the rate of tapping is the same at both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM, so I assume it's the motor making the noise).

I've had some bad luck over the years with turntables. I had a Goldring which worked/sounded fine for 6 or 8 years until one channel started to cut out. I thought the Project I purchased in 2014 would last a while longer. Three and a half years?? Please don't tell me I need a new TT every 3 to 8 years! Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Have you tried running it without the platter?

3. Brian Lux

I just did and the tap-tap-tap was there with or without the platter on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those tricky problems to pin down.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Agreed. These motors can make some funny noises for no visible reason. I’d pull up on the belt pulley and let go, to make sure the motor spindle is seated correctly and the pulley is on tight. Beyond that, I would suspect a motor defect. If it were mine, I’d probably attempt a motor replacement. I replaced the motor on a Music Hall, several years ago. They use those same motors.

Brian Lux likes this.
  5. Brian Lux

Thank you for the suggestion. The motor pulley appears to be seated properly.

There is a video a on YouTube of a guy showing how to replace the motor for a Project Carbon Debut. With my not-so-steady old hands that looks about as easy for me as brain surgery for me, haha!

I'm thinking of either a) having an over-sized acrylic cover made to cover over the whole TT and standard cover while playing records to isolate the noise or, b) putting the TT out on the driveway and running over it a few times with the car to see if that helps eliminate the noise problem.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suggest the later and post a Youtube video. :) Project just make crap budget TTs.

Brian Lux likes this.
  7. Brian Lux

Haha, that would be fun!

I'm beginning to think you're right. They had what my budget could afford but now I'm wishing I'd come up with a little more money for something better (though on a fairly fixed income, I'm still limited).

displayname likes this.
  8. Bob_in_OKC

I have sometimes wondered if Pro-Ject could just specify a different motor and solve their problems. The factory might be giving Pro-Ject a spectacular deal on the motor, since it isn’t any good.

Brian Lux likes this.
  9. Brian Lux

Could be!

I'm thinking more and more it's getting close to time for me to start researching a step up- maybe something more in the to the $750 to $1,000 range. The two $400's I've had (Goldring and Project) didn't cut it and, ah, let's see, two times four hundred equals... :doh:

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think the number of complaints suggest there are fundamental design flaws in motor isolation. For belt drives I generally favour decks were the motor is isolated in a separate pod ( not doable at this price level).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.