What do you do with your collectable slip mats?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Solvethebox, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solvethebox

Solvethebox Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have recently picked up a few records that come with collectable slip mats and I have two questions for the community:

1) They don't fit into the jacket, so I'm curious how others store and organize them.

2) Does anyone ever use them? Either for playing a record or for decoration while the turntable is not in use?

I debated whether or not to put this in the Audio Hardware or Music forum. Feel free to move me, mods, if you don't agree with my choice.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I threw one away just yesterday in fact. Previously it had been sitting in a box in my basement for five years.

3. Solvethebox

haha I guess that answers that!

I'd either like to sell or do something creative with mine. I'm at the point to where I don't want stuff for stuff's sack - I want it to be practical. Maybe I'll frame them or put them in a glass coffee table or something.

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

what exactly is a collectable slip mat? Is it the sleeve that the record came with?

5. Solvethebox

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the printed slip mats that sometimes come with records. The are typically made of felt and have some kind of image on them. I just purchased Nine Inch Nail's EP Add Violence and it came with a thin felt pad with a printing of the album artwork. It was separate from the LP, though. Here is another example from Umphrey's McGee.

[​IMG]

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bought a cool one at a Zombies concert last winter, but the hole was drilled way off-center. I pinned it to the wall.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Slip mats"?

Well, I try my best not to leave any banaa peels on them...:D

8. Solvethebox

:doh:

9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have never found a bonus slip mat in a record.

10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

If it comes with the pressing, not having it would make it an incomplete item in my opinion. Same as any insert or even download card. If it was just a giveaway when buying the album, toss it, do whatever.

11. I never use them. I slip them in back behind the record cover but inside a clear LP outer sleeve

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. sometimes labels/artists have giveaway turntable mats with new release purchases at indie record stores. I have a few.

13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Me either and I probably have bought about 4K since 1964

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have ONE.

[​IMG]

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I need a Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come slip mat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.