What´s your phono preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Audio Research LP1

[​IMG]

BigGame, Jimi Floyd, GyroSE and 3 others like this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been lusting after CJ gear for decades. Best of luck to you in finding another!

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Separate gain for L and R?

4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I just picked up a clean 565 Mk. II this weekend. I plugged a Dual 1019 into it and have a Pioneer SX-d5000 powering it right now...

The Phono Stage is remarkably nice. Just a hint warmer than neutral. Ansd quiet.

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yes, affectionately called dual mono!

JG

Norco74 and WapatoWolf like this.
  6. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Nova Phonomena. Older version but love it.

Davey likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

How long does the battery last, have you replaced it yet? Does it continue to hold a charge? I have a Phonomena II+, roughly the same one without the battery, and it is a nice preamp.

8. James Glennon

Two totally independent channels.

JG

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It has one of the quietest MM phono stages I've ever heard.

ultron9 likes this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am looking to replace my beloved Classé 30 preamp. I was extremely surprised to listen to a Conrad Johnson CT3 to discover that it is based on a 1 tube design. Considering the price, it was quite shocking IMO but at the end of the day, your ears are the final judge and this one didn’t cut it for me.

I listened to a Rogue RP1. Quite good but actually on par with the Classé. Different sound but not good enough to make a switch. Looking forward to listen to an RP5 from them.

Next, I would like to audition some mid-tier product from Croft. I am not too sure about separate gain control. I guess I need to try and hear what this is all about. My concerns are all about getting up and alway adjust the gain. How sensitive are the gain adjustment? No remote from Croft right?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. James Glennon

No remote.

I have no issue with two volume controls, there is a mute button, so I just use that when necessary.

JG

Norco74 likes this.
  12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Very nice. I bet that sounds soooooooo good!

13. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Eastern Electric Minimax Phonostage

14. gov

gov Forum Resident

Croft I've heard are sweet sounding but man that l/r gain would drive me nuts. I passed on LFD (maybe to my own dismay!) because no remote I couldn't imagine separate channel gain knobs like that.

15. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

Tom Evans Groove +
    [​IMG]

and Simaudio 310LP
    [​IMG]

...and Pro-Ject Phono Box DS
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    broccolid, Bananas&blow and bluemooze like this.
  16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have 2 of these. They are fantastic

17. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

first it clears up the low registers. with the stock Q-PSU the low region is muddy with some loudness. also adds clarity and air. how much is it I don't know. I traded in the Q-PSU. I got this hint about the Obelisk PSU from the owner of the Heed Audio...

18. Davey

Sounds like you know what you want. BTW, there's a like new Herron phono preamp on USAM now, but the previous version, VTPH-2, asking $2150.

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Rogue Audio Ares with factory upgraded SUTs (Cinemag Blues).

The Blues needed a lot of break in, but when they broke in and smoothed out, the unit became fantastic. Paired with a VPI Prime and Ortofon Cadenza Black.

mreeter likes this.
  20. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Rogue Audio Ares here also, recently had Rogue upgrade it to the "Magnum" version, worthwhile investment.

21. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

What else does that include other than the Cinemag Blues?

22. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Guess which one I just bought (no seriously like sending the PayPal to him right now) :) thanks for looking out!!

23. Davey

Beautiful preamp :)

sturgus, mreeter and toddrhodes like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Upgraded RCA Connections, Internal wiring, maybe Cardas? Upgraded Resistors and Caps. The Blue Cinemag produces another 10 dB output.

Drew769 likes this.
  25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Over the past two years (approximately) I have upgraded my entire TT, arm, cartridge and phono preamp. My original phono preamp was a c-j Premier 15 Series 2 (Conrad-Johnson Premier 15 phono preamplifier Jonathan Scull March 2002 ) which I bought back in 2002. The first thing I upgrade about two years ago was to replace my VPI TNT-HR TT with a VPI Classic Direct TT. When I first got the Classic Direct I used a Benz-Micro Ruby 3H cartridge which puts out about 0.7 mV and worked will with the P15 which has about 53 dB of gain. At that time I did, however, notice that the P15 seemed a little nosier than it was originally. Then after auditioning some very high-end cartridges I decided I wanted an Ortofon A95 cartridge, however, since it only outputs about 0.2 mV I would have to do something to get more than 53dB of gain in my phono amplification chain. Enter Bob's Devices step up transformers (SUT). I got a 20 dB SUT from Bob that mounts on my Classic Direct TT and replaces the standard junction box which saved me from having to add another set cables to get from the TT to the SUT (Integrated VPI Step Up Transformer ). The final upgrade I did was to send the P15 back to c-j and had all of the signal path capacitors replaced with c-j proprietary Teflon capacitors (C1 capacitor upgrades - conrad-johnson ). c-j also fully checked the unit and found that four of the tubes were too noisy to be in specification anymore and replaced them with new quiet tubes (damn tubes only lasted 15 years :winkgrin: ). So my phono preamp is a factory modified P15 and I love it as well as my entire new analog front end.

HiFi Guy, sturgus, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.