Thanksgiving and Alice's Restaurant tradition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wownflutter, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I know a guy who says he actually got out of the draft by doing what the song says. He started singing "You can get anything you want..." over and over again until they declared him mentally incompetent.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I took some guitar lessons a long time ago and someone in the group blurted out to the instructor “teach us Alice’s Restaurant”.

Lost In The Flood and Boswell like this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

KSHE 95 in St Louis played it at 12 noon today. Great to hear it again.

Holy Diver likes this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

just finished listening to the thirtieth anniversary live edition on WMMR with pierre robert. on at two again!!

krock2009 likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

7. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Annual listening now taking place...

[​IMG]

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I finally heard the song tonight on the radio. It's a funny story and a good Fall song. Reminded me a bit of Desolation Row.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone ever said "What the heck is this?"upon hearing it on their local classic rock station.

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

We don't do Thanksgiving where I am.
    however, this topic is reminding me that it's time that I do "Alice's Restaurant" again!

11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Heard that for the first time today. Loved it.

12. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

The 50th Anniv Ed is on WGBH Ch.2 tonite at 7-30pm. Good to see Arlo out and about.

dirtmert, krock2009 and jamesmaya like this.
  13. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I wondered the first time I heard it.
    Our local rock station played it a couple of times on Thanksgiving day in Hawaii.

krock2009 likes this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The rest of the album is great, as well. I love Chilling of the Evening. Listen to this tune on a cold winter's night. Arlo's so great.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ARK, Hep Alien and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

The song represents a number of things since I made it through several draft lotteries with out being selected. I've played it several times a year since it was released and have never missed playing it on Thanksgiving.

ARK and krock2009 like this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Still enjoying another Thanksgiving dinner with leftovers that can't be beat....and spinning Arlo, but this time with a UK twist...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lost In The Flood and JuanTCB like this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

My wife turned me on to the tradition, which prompted me to get The Best of Arlo Guthrie on CD. (Her old Alice's Restaurant LP was pretty beat up.)

This Thanksgiving, we went on a road trip. For these trips, I bring along a USB drive with music that we both like and set the audio on random play. I made sure to include "Alice's Restaurant "on this one. She was quite pleased when it came up. She insisted that our 13 year old listen to it. He was not happy. :laugh:

ARK likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah but are 13 year olds ever happy about anything? :)

dlokazip likes this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

There's a compilation called something like Lost Classics of the 60s that had it. I'll have to dig it out to confirm the title and label.

Hep Alien and jamesmaya like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Alice's Restaurant is a well-crafted piece of light-hearted entertainment with some important social implications. Desolation Row is a masterclass in how to completely realize an abstract vision of social schism. I mean, to me. :)

phillyal1 and Lost In The Flood like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My brother was in the Draft, but not even for a year, before they dropped it. He had a strong interest in the gee-tar and folk music, but...he was a lot more interested in planning a "visit" to Canada around that time, than he was Arlo Guthrie. Guess something or other was "distracting" him at the time...

...maybe he couldn't pull off the, "I wanna kill..." thing convincingly? :shrug:

showtaper likes this.
  22. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I used to listen to this every year on the radio. I can't really do that anymore. So I bought a copy a few year ago. It's a great song, apparently about littering.

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Lost Hits of the 60s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Just got back from the annual Carnegie Hall concert. Another full family affair. They even did a Patsy Cline cover. Great time as always.

EddieMann likes this.
  25. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

At least one dj on deep nuggets radio has been keeping up the tradition over the last few years.