Black Friday Record Store Day November 24, 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

No, I respectfully disagree. A classic Xmas song.

davenav likes this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Do you know if Scotti’s had the Rush Closer To The Heart 7”? Vintage Vinyl only had 2 left when I got in this morning and sold out. My buddy was looking for one.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A High-Quality Content haul. :righton:

4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Try calling Kiss the Sky in Batavia. When I left there this morning, they still had the Sun Ran and a few Sundazed titles left.

Chris Bernhardt and oddsbodkins like this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The sonics are so good from the Wes Montgomery you can hear and feel the crunch of the tubes in his amp when he digs in. And I forgot that Johnny griffin played for a few tunes on this gig! Awesome stuff.

Vinyl_Blues, e.s., AtlTrav and 2 others like this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE MUSIC FORUM TO SEEK RSD ITEMS!!!!
    THAT'S WHY WE HAVE A CLASSIFIEDS WTB FORUM. Don't forget to list a price, please.

THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I have read some comments regarding RSD going downhill, not sure what they are talking about because regardless of how "good" the list was this year every store I went to all said they are nearly wiped out. This is not going anywhere.

Can someone tell me how much they paid for the greg lake, couldn't find it and ebay is ridiculous for one Christmas song.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  8. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Listening now...really jazzy and groovy all instrumental release. It's basically 4 long tracks, one per side. Great loungy/ jammy feel. Kind of hard to describe but I'm digging it.

steveharris and apple-richard like this.
  9. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I have not heard it, but it is cut by Bernie Grundman, which is a very good sign. It's stereo.

If the best sound is what you're after, you should also consider the double 45RPM released by Analogue Productions (cut by Gray/Hoffman), still in print and easy to find.

recstar24 likes this.
  10. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I picked up the Albert Ayler/ Don Cherry record. I was not familiar with the recording. The mastering and overall sound is excellent. There were some odd clicks here and there in the pressing, nothing too bothersome.

Chris Bernhardt and recstar24 like this.
  11. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I ended up with

The Baroques-The Baroques
    Willie Nelson-Yesterdays Wine....I did not see Spirit.
    Tangerine Dream-Electronic Meditation
    The United States of America-The United States of America
    The Doors-Absolutely Live-Blue vinyl
    The Grateful Dead-5lp box, the store only got 2.
    Christmas On Death Row-Christmas On Death Row (wife told me to get some Christmas Music)

Store had everything, save maybe 3 or 4 titles that were supposed to be in that day. I have played the Yesterdays Wine, it's very nice, listing to The Baroques now. Most of the stuff is colored vinyl.

Decent turn out...some stuff was more picked over than others...

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I got a message from Bull Moose stating that The Free Design arrived late today so I went back and snagged that plus The United States of America. Now I have my eyes on The Baroques but need to hear more before I swing for it. They seem at face value to be up my alley.

13. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Glad to hear the sound is good. I bought the 3xLP set "In The Beginning" on Resonance Records a couple of RSD's ago, sound was generally lo-fi, to be expected given the source material.

14. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

I grabbed Harvest Moon & The Sundays' "Static and Silence" from Beat Street in Vancouver right as they opened (lots of Neil Young HM, only the one Sundays LP, as far as I could see.) Paid $37 CAD for the Sundays... and see someone on Discogs is now asking $190 CAD for it (!)

John Bliss likes this.
  15. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I had two things on my RSD list. I refused to put much effort into finding them. I walked into Music Millenium and was greeted with them both, Blank Generation 40th anniversary and Iggy Pop's New Values. They had 2 copies left of both. I also scored the pin and poster that go along with Voidoid's record. Very happy.

recstar24 likes this.
  16. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Picked up Neil Young - Harvest Moon and The Doors - Absolute Live. The Doors appears to be same mastering as 2010 reissue. Mastered at TML and this is pressed at RTI. Not sure if 2010 was an RTI press or not.

17. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

I showed up at Waterloo Records (Austin) about 5 minutes before opening and there was a line around the building. I was probably #80 in line and was able to get the only record I wanted (The Sundays), but also picked up the Sonny Rollins On Impulse. I would have picked up 5-7 other titles had I not blown thru my vinyl budget earlier in the month. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    JNTEX and Arliss Renwick like this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am not a vinyl person, but went to the Chandler Zia with my friend this morning. His goal was to find "In their own words, live from the bottom line" with Lou Reed and Kris Kristofferson. We found out the release was postponed, presumably till April. Nary a mention of this release on this thread?

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Excellent. That was my "blind" choice because it looks interesting and what the heck. Will listen to tonight!

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I stopped by Repo Wednesday night and they had all the releases out but, you couldn't buy them. Nice place.

John Bliss and JeffMo like this.
  21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I did not see that one either and it was on my list...

22. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I passed on New Values, there were several copies, might visit tomorrow....

23. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Get it. It's good.

giantleech and Isaac K. like this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Listening to it right now via YouTube. Yep. Its an essential.

giantleech likes this.
  25. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

also fetch Tangerine Dream...

Isaac K. and giantleech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.