Can't get stylus clean. Static problem.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Static is generally introduced to playback chain by environment.

Hence, it's worse in winter (relative humidity much lower) and especially when heat is on...

De-stat the room and your records will follow...

bajaed and quicksilverbudie like this.
  2. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

"Why" meaning why would only use their fluid, for cleaning records and how was my advice bad.

The spin clean works exactly the same as Konosti, and their fluid was expensive and rubbish. The home brew gives you an almost limitless supply for very litlle cost and does a far better job.

SpinClean record cleaner

Try googling the homebrew mix that the guys at London Jazz recommend and many others. I honestly do not know why you are arguing the toss or so dead set against it, doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

He is not against it if you're using a vacuum system. The way the spin-clean system works if different. The spin-clean fluid encapsulates the dirt and allows the debris to fall to the bottom of the tank. Home brew's and for that matter any of the well known manufactured brands are not designed to do this. If one buys into the spin-clean regiment you should use their fluid for it to work properly.

JMR likes this.
  5. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I have a lot less stylus buildup since using the zerodust I got on eBay. I follow that with a few swipes of my stylus brush. All my albums are cleaned on the record doctor before playing.

6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Sounds great! As expected with the tumbleweed removed. No more microfiber towels unless someone can recommend one that will not shed at all.

My cleaning fluid will be here in a couple of days, no more playing a record without using the Vinyl Vac on it first.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    patient_ot likes this.
  7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Man oh man, you just don’t seem to be getting it.

To the OP, use the fluid that comes with the spin clean. It takes the particles to the bottom of the apparatus and doesn’t mix with the remaining water/solution. You CAN reuse the water/solution many times. You can leave it in the spin clean. No need to refilter or whatever the heck was said previously.

nosliw likes this.
  8. Sgt Pepper

No probs I get it.

Just trying to advise on a cheaper and much better alternative, without any residue build up on the record surface.

9. Sgt Pepper

If you read the link I supplied the spin clean fluid and the Konosti Fluid look to be exactly the same, they will leave residue on your records.

SpinClean record cleaner

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sure, you can re-use the fluid, but don't expect your records to be as clean as if you dumped it after say 10-20 LPs. That's what I would do back when I used the Spin Clean. The manufacturer claims that you can clean 50 or 100 LPs or whatever, but I always thought that was pure bunk. At some point you are just spinning your records through filth. Filtering is a waste of time as well. Over here in the states, the Spin Clean fluid is not that expensive and can even be bought in bulk or large bottles IIRC. No sense in penny pinching to stretch the fluid IMHO/IME.

My 2 cents...

nosliw likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Looks way better.

nosliw likes this.
  12. John Mundie Jr

John Mundie Jr Well-Known Member

I've use a Ortofon Blue- and clean it w a brush and Onzow. I clean my albums w a microfiber cloth and 5-1 ration of ISO Alcohol and distilled water- 1pt ISO -5 pts water. I mix it in a small squirt bottle and apply a decent amount holding the record against my chest. Then wipe it down w one cloth and dry w another. I've not had any issues!! I think spin clean is over marketed and doesnt apply the pressure needed to remove crude- tobacco resin etc.
    - It could be your using a cheap stylus?
    - or your cloth is holding excess dust- transferring it to the vinyl?
    - the solution your using is dirty- layering the vinyl w crude?
    - your drying method is leaving crude?
    Onzow is a Japanese made jell that removes dust

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  13. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I used to use microfiber towels after cleaning records. I'd get a little ball of white hair on my diamond after each side. Since air drying my records with an upright file hanger, I no longer see any white crud. Ever.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. Sgt Pepper

I'm afraid your recipe might be falling on deaf ears here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.