The last "big" year for rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

(modern Cement was created in 1845)

2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

If we're talking personally, it's probably 2002 for me. After that, I moved out of the city and lost my go to record store for finding cool, new stuff. I've done some of it online since then but never to the degree I did when I could walk into a physical store almost any day of the week and find things that I wanted.

3. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I'd say the '90s and would probably go with early '90s being the peak as well. I guess we can thank Nirvana for that last hurrah. :agree:

Aftermath likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

After '75 pretty much everything sounded like something that had already been done. Perhaps those who are thinking '90's were not even born yet in '75...

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, although a lot of the stuff I was buying in the 90's and 00's falls under that category.

6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

It maybe not quite what the OP intended but I've been thinking about this in terms of when did I buy more archive material than new releases by current bands and artists. That to me is a sign that new music has gone past its sell by date and what interests me more is archive stuff by my favourites. I don't have the answer yet as I'm working through my collection but it's sometime after 2000 since having played what I bought as current music compared to archive stuff from 2000 I found it to be very much alive and kicking.

For "rock" I'm including pretty much anything guitar/keyboard based overlaying a strong rhythmic feel whether acoustic or electric biased. Some world music falls into that definition and around 2000 a lot of what I enjoyed in modern music came from the world music genre.

7. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I was in my early teens in '75 so I certainly know about the music from back then as well as the 90s. And yes, I'd say Nirvara in '91 did spark a revival of sorts, that gave the rock world some new, much needed energy. Before that we were sorta coasting on the fumes of bad hair metal bands and "Bad" Michael Jackson - yikes. But really, when you think about it, since then there hasn't been much in the way of a big wave of new rock. With a few exceptions, rock music (i.e. bands) really seem to have lost a lot of mojo in the last 20 years or so.

8. Chris Schoen

I never get tired of the old stuff. It was (is) so good I just keep it playing. Something I missed comes along now and then, but rarely do I hear something new (current) that excites me. Maybe I'm just jaded.
    I graduated high school in '75, and left home to go to the Bay Area. Lived there till 2000.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Agree

swampwader likes this.
  10. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Seems to me that Britpop was actually rock music that was popular. If you count Britpop then you have to at least drag the timeline out to 1997.

2141 likes this.
  11. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

You were here during some good times! After 2000 we had the dot.com bust and then the whole country went through 9/11. Everything has changed a lot since then, including the music.

jfbar167 likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Yeah, we got out just in time. It was a good move. If I was still there I could get 1 million for my old house, instead of 500k. I still made 300k, so not so bad.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Rock, as it is traditionally defined (distorted electric guitars, drums), had its last BIG year, culture and saleswise, sometime around the grunge/britpop era, IMO (early-mid 90s). Gangsta-Rap, Boy Bands, and Electronica took over after that, then recorded music sales took a nosedive due to file sharing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  14. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yeah, property values here. That's a whole other story - just wow!

15. Chris Schoen

Not sure if I would recognize the place if I went back. Crazy. I have lots of great memories though. :righton:

16. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yeah, the 90s rocked! You probably would recognize the place, but a lot has changed. For better or worse, tech has really taken over. The artsy-ness has given way to big money techies. But one thing I've come to know with this area is it's always changing. Who knows when the next big change will occur, but I'm sure it's coming.

17. Chris Schoen

Rock on.

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think you're right. 1995 had those, 1996 had Spice Girls.

levi and HeavensAbove like this.
  19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Somewhere between the death of Pixies (original run) and the death of Cobain is my answer. So yeah, 1994 I guess.

20. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ve stated mine.

21. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

In my opinion, she is a perfect example of marketing. I’m sure she has some form of talent. The constant cameras with the new boyfriends is bad publicity is still publicity

22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

All opinions should be based on a modicum of fact.

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

She's a children's entertainer.

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Swift is a pop star. The whole point is to become popular.

25. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

Boy, those were on the tip of my tongue. Roll those dice again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.