Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I’ve got a mint UK original of No Prayer, which I love, so I don’t need the reissue. I would like the Live In Rio and Death On The Road, which I think is an amazing live show.

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I would dare to say I have not steered you wrong before :) Those live albums sound great.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

You know, it is certainly better although I think I rank it lower because AMOLAD and FF sound better to my ears. Also, no way am I discounting it, still essential in my opinion. And you are correct in that the CD was unlistenable so this hugely improves on that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This thread prompted me to immediately spin DOD and re-evaluate!

johnny q and metalrules like this.
  5. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I agree 100%.

chromium likes this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Sorry guys, DOD still suffers from serious compression, muddy sounding mix. The vinyl is improved but still the worst sounding Iron Maiden album by a wide margin. My opinion of the songs being fairly average also affects my overall rating of this one. Post 2000 Maiden power rankings:

1. Brave New World- 9.2
    2. Book Of Souls- 8.8
    3. A Matter of Life And Death- 8.6
    4. The Final Fronteir- 8.6
    5. Dance Of Death- 7.7

Live material:

1. En Vivo- 9.7
    2. Book of Souls Live Chapter- 9.5
    3. Death On The Road- 9.3
    4. Rock In Rio- 9.3
    5. Flight 666- 8.9

7. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yeah, but AMOLAD and FF already sound decent on CD (especially AMOLAD with it's no mastering approach) but DOD is a big mess. The DOD vinyl makes it sound so much better, much less muddy and not as brickwalled. It's never going to sound amazing unless it gets a total remix from scratch but for me it's the most improved LP out of the lot.

Opeth likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That is all true except I still feel AMOLD does beat the CD and both FF and AMOLAD sound better on vinyl than the DOD vinyl. I just think the original recording of the DOD album was such a mess and so over compressed there is only so much you can do with the vinyl reissue. All of that said, there was such a drop off from BNW to DOD it was sort of shocking. I like the title cut and Paschendale but lots of filler in between. The slow passages on DOD sound better but when everyone is jamming it is one muddy mix.

9. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

I have the new DOD vinyl and when I first put it on I was like woah that sounds kinda muddy then I dug out the CD and was like whaaat - the CD is really really awful on a half decent stereo, just a smashed up noise - passable on a boom box in the kitchen I guess (which is where i was used to listening to it). Then when I went back to the DOD vinyl I could really appreciate the new mastering and enjoy it better.

HankM, Opeth, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  10. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, this has long been a “not so favorite” of mine, maybe trying the vinyl would shed new light onto this album.

11. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Got my Rock in Rio and have to send it back. There are two separate spots of gunk on side 3 that I can't clean off. Hope everyone else's records are better!

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

AMOLAD and FF vinyl version do beat the CD but I do agree based on how poor DOD CD was, the vinyl is better. My biggest issue with that album is the amount of filler. The title track is decent (not incredible) and Paschandale is probably the only song I would rate as truly excellent. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but the FF, BNW, AMOLAD vinyl all "sound better" (not talking about quality of songs only the sound) than DOD vinyl. Hey, if you love DOD, that's great, and you will want it for the improvement but not a good sounding vinyl in my opinion. It sounds compressed and muddy.

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I am curious if you own a Japanese Live After Death? I might order one as I got a few other Japanese versions coming. Also, just to add I give pretty high marks to some of these original German versions. Listening to Iron Maiden right now sounds incredible. I wish I saw your post about 7th Son, I have a Japan version coming, wasn't cheap either!

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

No need. Get yourself a nice US original and you are good to go. I have a mint Holland pressing that sounds bloody fantastic.

jeffgt14 likes this.
  15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I was wondering how much improvement there could be based on the source and being a live album with lots of crowd noise. The good news, I already own a minty original U.S. pressing!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Gotta little Maiden marathon brewing tonight after my Dickinson marathon all of last week! From self titled into Number of The Beast. Damn, this original US version sounds sweet to these ears. I'll have to spin Live After Death soon.

scottp and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

since you discuss early pressings. If one has all the first 7 albums, in first uk pressings, should he seek other presses or is he set to go?

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Sorry I only have all of the 80's studio albums on Japanese pressings but not Live After Death- but I guess it's very good so I think it's a safe bet if you decide to go for one. I believe there are three different Japanese pressings of Live After Death- a deluxe version, a more simple version and finally the standard version. Simple in this case means what is included and not like stickers, inserts etc.

Yes I find the 7th Son JPN to be a bit anemic when played on my system compared to the UK original pressing. It's expensive but a nice investment as Maiden collectors hunger for this pressing as it's a bit rare. Which pressing did you get, the deluxe or standard version?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

No, I think you've all you need there- they are very good and very close to the Japanese pressings soundwise. So look no further.

porotikos likes this.
  20. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you my friend. I love them alla. Apart from tnotb to be honest. I don't find it as intriguing as the other albums soundwose. Perhaps a us or Japan version is what I need from that album?

21. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Just placed my order for Brave New World at Amazon for $16.60. Its out of stock but for that price I can wait. Also got En Vivo! for $20.68!

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... you definitely are set. You might want to add a US Wally cut of "Number Of The Beast" because it's amazing. Or an American "Killers" for the different tracklist.

From then on it all depends on your level of dedication, your obsession with Maiden. And your wallet obviously:evil:

But for pure aural pleasure you have a very solid collection with UK 1sts.

porotikos likes this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, as it turns out I was mistaken. I did not order a Seventh Son Japanese version as I already have a beautiful German Seventh Son which sounds great. I have many of the 12 inch singles on order and can't wait to hear them. I also have a U.S. Somewhere In Time but was not sure if it was a DMM version as I can't find markings anywhere on there that show that so I do not think it is. It still sounds very sweet but wondering if there is a big sonic upgrade for an original U.K. or Japanese version of that one.

GyroSE likes this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

You're welcome.

NOTB is not the best Maiden album soundwise to be honest- an UK original pressing is as good as it gets but a JPN pressing is fun to have as there's an extra track on that one.

25. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

IMHO Somewhere in Time is probably great sounding on any of the original pressings- I prefer the JPN pressing of this album but the difference isn't night and day compared to my Dutch copy. The 12" Super Sound Maxi Singles sound great- I've a handful and all of them are amazing soundwise.

Jam757 likes this.