Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. rammestuss

rammestuss Well-Known Member

Looking at the release dates of the two still unknown unreleased albums in the archives they each correspond to a live show: the Nov 5, 1973 show at the London Rainbow Theater, and the Nov 1, 1976 opening show of the US tour with Crazy Horse. (The Rainbow show date was pointed out by somebody earlier in the thread.) I’d say it seems likely these shows will be released in the performance series. As the Nov 1, 1976 show was the first of that tour it could also mean the we’ll see a tour compilation simliar to Bluenote Café.

Performance series
    # ---- Title

00 -- Sugar Mountain - Live at Canterbury House 1968
    01 -- Live at the Riverboat 1969
    02 -- Live at the Fillmore East 1970
    02.5 -- Live at the Cellar Door
    03 -- Live at Massey Hall 1971
    04 -- Time Fades Away II?
    05 -- Roxy Live 1973
    05.5? -- “Live at the Rainbow Theater” (Nov 5, 1973)?
    06 -- “Live at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion”/US Tour compilation (Nov 1, 1976)?
    07 -- Boarding House 1978
    08 -- Solo Trans
    09 -- A Treasure (’84-85)
    10 -- Garage (1986)
    11 -- Bluenote Café (’88-89)
    11.5? -- Live Freedom (1989)?
    12 -- Dreamin' Man Live '92
    ? -- Alchemy?

I’ve also been looking at the '76 Budokan and Odeon shows and the thought struck me that Odeon/Budokan might have been planned as a live album in the same sense as Time Fades Away and Rust Never Sleeps, i.e. an album consisting of live recordings of new songs. This might explain why it’s in the Special Release Series and not the Performance Series. Going back to the setlists, quite a few then unreleased songs were performed at those shows. Below I imagined a pretty impressive track list for the album.

Country Home
    No One Seems to Know
    Lotta Love
    Like a Hurricane
    Too Far Gone
    Stringman
    Let It Shine
    Sad Movies
    Human Highway

(Let It Shine had already been recorded with Stills but about half of Long May You Run hadn’t been recorded yet.)

2. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Very interesting...
    Because of the title, Odeon Budokan, I think it's probably a complete show and not a Time Fades Away type album, and this would make sense if the other '76 show is a compilation. Of course you could be right and the opposite is true, Odeon comp and Nov 1 complete show.

I have been hoping that one of the NYAPS would be the 1976 Tour comp The Bernstein Tapes', the all acoustic compilation. I'm beginning to think this could be it.
    I also wonder if Odeon/Budokan could be an all Crazy Horse compilation? And had kinda been expecting video with that one too.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I heard a Buffalo Springfield Live recording : search the timeline for 5/5/68 and there is a video option but there is audio only with just photos, no actual video (odd!) It is called "This is It!" video montage

ExHead and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

that was a hidden track in the original archives box.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

While reviewing the online Archives I note Neil has published through 3 different companies over the years:

Silver Fiddle Music
    Broken Arrow Music
    Storytone Publishing

Does anyone know the reason why he uses different companies?

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The bootleg movie Live at Budokan, which was probably roughly based on the original concept, was a compilation of electric/acoustic songs and unreleased/released songs, so probably both the speculations seem to be off the mark. By the way Neil and the Archives compilers could change mind and
    Storytone is after the divorce.

7. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Just a wild guess, but it might have something to do with divorces and settlements.

qtrules likes this.
  8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking however there is no consistency with the dates.

9. Heart of Gold

A
    Actually Neil divorced in 2014 and Story tone Publishing is since 2014.

10. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

That's the only one that lines up.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The NYA download store is now live.

Disappointingly Neil hasn’t kept to his idea that you shouldn’t have to pay more for hi res downloads (which was the main reason he gave for Pono closing!)

Most are at least $20 whereas they are $10 on his official site.

I would have rebought Archives 1 in 24/192 if it wasn’t $185

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I find that songwriters who are active for decades often change publishing company names once or twice. Not sure why, maybe to do with switching from BMI to ASCAP or changing record labels.

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Broken Arrow was earlier stuff, Silver Fiddle most of his solo career. Some stuff he was able to transfer to Silver Fiddle, some he wasn't. Some published under Broken Arrow at time it was written but didn't come out until later. Hence, it doesn't line up exactly chronologically.

Sigma6 and qtrules like this.
  14. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

Oh the quandry, CD's vs DVD Audio vs Vinyl vs Bluray audio, and now Hi res downloads. Which is the best? It seems like we are constantly buying our favorite music, looking for the best recording. Many sound experts say it is impossible for your hear a difference between 24/192 or 16/44 audio, but you can trick your brain into hearing a difference. I remember when CD's first came out, we were supposed to get copies of the "Master tape". Well, very seldom was that the case. I get really frustrated when a record sounds better than a CD because CD's were supposed to be absolutely superior to records. What a scam the music industry put on us!. This is coming from a guy who has collected dts, hi res sacds, dvd audios and recently bluray pure audio discs and still has trouble hearing a difference between hi res and 16/44 pcm. Now along comes Neil Young's archive website, which contains all of his album streams. I've been listening to these album streams and comparing them to my Neil Young CDs , including the "Harvest" DVD audio disc. Exact same system, exact same volume levels and switching back and forth. For the first time I can hear a difference in digital music and it is immediately noticeable! All of these streams sound wonderful regardless of their bit rate! All of my discs, including hi res, are just missing a "smoothness" and an "airy" quality of sound in the stereo soundfield which is is hard to describe, but it is very similar to what I hear in vinyl. I would prefer listening to Neil's streaming music rather than my pcm hard copies. I still can't hear a difference between 24/192, 24/44 and 16/44 streams, which seems to coincide with the sound experts. MY REVELATION IS THIS.....NEIL YOUNG HAS GIVEN THE ENTIRE WORLD ACCESS TO 1st GEN MASTER TAPES! Yea folks, 1st generation copies... WOW.

Boswell, Vinyl Socks, bonus and 2 others like this.
  15. Heart of Gold

Just a guess, I think that the streaming is from the same source of the Pono Store. Nothing new here so far.

16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Here's another test for the naysayers: Listen to the R.E.M. album Monster. Listen through Apple Music or Spotify or your old cd.
    Then...buy the 24/192 version from HDTracks.

Tell me you still can't hear a difference.

You have to use your home setup, however...not an old boombox or ear pods or some other crappy products.

17. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Spent sometime listening this afternoon, very good indeed. Down by the River sounds awesome

18. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Surely the title implies (and not misleadingly) that it is in fact a compilation, from the Hammersmith Odeon and Budokan Hall shows? Much like the film from the same period.

Most of Neil's live albums feature a certain degree of studio overdubbing; if Odeon Budokan does too then it certainly would be ORS.

19. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Of course that's a ridiculous comparison, because you are comparing apples to oranges (presumably different masterings). And that's without mentioning placebo effect or confirmation bias.

And according to Mr Young you don't need audiophile gear to hear the difference ("it's not a subtle thing").

But whilst we are comparing apples to oranges, it's strange how most teenagers listening to Spotify seem to enjoy themselves a lot more than grumpy old men listening for minor (and probably non-existant) differences in the cymbals on multiple versions of the same album.

20. Vinyl Socks

It's free...and that's a big difference from the PONO store ;)

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

monster? surely there must be a used rack at HDTracks with a thousand copies of monster.

jay.dee, bobcat, Fletch and 2 others like this.
  22. Vinyl Socks

Well, I cited that album as an example for those who say they can't tell the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192. The difference is pretty noticeable.

I should have said 24/96 -- I don't see a 24/192 version there now.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I don't have a dog in this fight...just making a joke based on the prevalence of that album in the used racks (physical media).

Quincy, ExHead and Vinyl Socks like this.
  24. Vinyl Socks

Oh yeah...head down to a Goodwill and you'll find about 75 copies :laugh:

25. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Yes of course. Sorry I meant presented as a complete show, but obviously compiled from the shows mentioned.

RoyalPineapple likes this.