Do you guys listen to music/ASMR while sleeping?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Allow me to expand, just in case someone doesn't want to look this up.

Until about a week ago, I thought, relying on just surveying a few close acquaintances, it was a pleasurable phenomenon isolated only to me. Then, on another forum, I found out that that is not the case; thought it only recently has received any attention from the research community.

Here's the deal in a nutshell: while, in a relaxed state, listening to music, or a person's voice, or giving one's attention to just about anything else, one experiences (for most) a pleasurable tingling sensation about the shoulders, along the back of the neck, as well as the back of the head. It's not intense; though, I, for one, will do whatever I can, within reason, not to disturb the sensation. For me, it doesn't "arrive" that often.

2. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Yes but typically rock music daily mixes from Spotify. Never ASMR stuff. Sometimes my dreams are crazy, sometimes the music is incorporated into my dreams as being played on the radio, or being at a concert

3. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

4. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I have their first album (Rough Trade reissue). It's a good un.

5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Some of my favorite albums for falling asleep are:

Beach House, "Teen Dream" (or any Beach House album)
    Tamaryn, "The Waves"
    These New Puritans, "Field of Reeds"
    Low, "I Could Live in Hope"
    Zola Jesus, "Versions"
    Sigur Ros, "Agaetis Byrjum"
    Julia Holter, "Ekstasis"
    Coldplay, "Ghost Stories"
    Acrylics, "Lives and Treasure"
    Tennis, "Ritual in Repeat"
    Fleet Foxes, "Helplessness Blues"
    Jessica Pratt, "On Your Own Love Again"
    Memoryhouse, "The Years" (EP)

6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And it might be somewhat pleasant if Kate were to enter a dream or two... ;)

LeBon Bush likes this.
  7. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Sometimes I listed to "Weightless" by Marconi Union - "The most relaxing song ever."

From Wikipedia:
    On 16 October 2011, Marconi Union created an eight-minute track, titled "Weightless", in collaboration with the British Academy of Sound Therapy.

The song features guitar, piano and manipulated field recordings. It is punctuated throughout by low tones that supposedly induce a trance-like state.

In November 2011, Marconi Union were featured in Time magazine's list of Inventors of the Year, for writing and recording "Weightless". In January 2017 it charted in the Billboard charts.

DHamilton likes this.
  8. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Frankie Rose put a song about Art Bell (called, appropriately, "Art Bell") on her very sleepable 2017 album, "Cage Tropical":

She talked in this interview (link to the 405 here) about how Art Bell's show was the only thing that would put her to sleep when she was living in Los Angeles.

melstapler likes this.
  9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Ambient,classical music only.No spoken word at all.

10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I can’t sleep without music anymore.
    Part of it is that I had a daily “midnight toker” nightcap habit for a few years (that was mainly a means of managing anxiety) I had to kick a few months ago due to relocation and other concerns about my priorities, and readjusting has completely changed my sleep schedule (I stay up and wake up at much later times now). And my nightime thoughts are much more loud and I dream much more frequently (and am jolted awake by them far more often).
    How “active” the music is depends on how far my brain is straying, on nights where I’m having serious trouble falling asleep I just need monotonous tones to focus on and Steve Roach or some Eno is good for that, Ambient Sleeping Pill radio also.
    If I am sufficiently worn out already I can go for something a little more active like Laraaji, The Orb, David Sylvian, shoegaze, KLF’s Chill Out or softer guitar music (Xpressway compilations, Bark Psychosis, Talk Talk, Orange Cake Mix, Yo La Tengo, lo-fi GBV and Ariel Pink..)

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Neat! I was listening to one his repeat shows on the radio just the other night.

mschrist likes this.
  12. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I always have a podcast on. It’s the only way to get my mind to shut down. Lately it’s been he Stuff You Should Know podcast. I usually play episodes that I’m not too interested in the topic so I’m not fully engaged.

13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

white noise.
    but I might try that jeff bridges craziness

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Soft music low volume puts me to sleep nightly.

Favorites - John Barry- Out of Africa.

15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Usually don't have any trouble sleeping. But when I do, I have my Sharper Image white noise generator.

16. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

When I first moved out on my own at the spry age of 18 (I had to lie about my age to get my first apt), I had a real hard time adjusting to living and especially getting settled down to sleep in my own dead quiet place after sharing a constantly noisy house with my brother, sister and divorcing, constantly fighting parents.

So I settled on playing side 3 (Concerto for a Rainy Day) of The Electric Light Orchestras"Out Of The Blue" album every night just about every night for about a year. I'd branch to usual suspects like Pink Floyd and The Doors 1st album and LA Woman but found certain movie soundtracks, especially fantasy film scores by Bernard Herrmann to be most effective. I went through a phase of buying tons of CD tecordings of the ocean waves, thunderstorms and winds blowing through forests that that kind of ended when I got married and it drove my wife nuts.

My go-to these days is Brian Eno's Apollo And Other Soundtracks. Or my dog snoring like a grandpa.

17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Quite sure it would :love: ;)

18. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I have a tape full of relaxing noises. Let's see, let me read the label here...

Blood curdling screams.
    Dentist drills.
    Car tires screeching/car crashing.
    People shouting at each other.
    Guns being fired.
    Bones crunching.

Joking aside - the only sound I have when sleeping is the box fan. I do not like sleeping in dead silence.

19. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I do this too, although I need music with groove to get into a sleeping flow. It’s only one album, and I don’t like music on repeat the whole night. Most of the time I’m gone after 2 or 3 tracks. If I’m still awake at the end of an album I get out of bed and go do something different.

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Used to share a bed with someone who absolutely could not sleep in silence, so we had to have the radio on all night, which I got used to. Of course it provided a memorable background to blazing rows, or certain memorable events (like 'Children Of The Revolution' by T-Rex soundtracking the time a guy broke into our bedroom from the patio outside at 4am), but my current bed-sharer gets distracted by artificial noise, so any sort of music or anything beyond maybe a sleep aid (nature sounds, rain etc) for 20 minutes is verboten. It took some adjusting for me, though I still get the odd bout of insomnia and that's when a distraction would be very welcome. Alas.

On the evenings where I'm on tour, away for work, or get the house to myself, I relish the chance to play this eight-hour soundtrack. It's absolutely wonderful.

[​IMG]

21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I've been using self hypnosis (guided relaxation) to help me sleep. Works most of the time.

22. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I actually go to sleep every night on the sofa with the TV on, and it is usually on for five or six hours before I awaken and turn it off. Whatever is playing does sometimes influence my dreams.

As to music, I do nap a bit in the afternoon and will often play some ambient music. Eno's Discreet Music and Ambient 1: Music for Airports are favorites.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wanted to recommend R. Carlos Nakai's Canyon Trilogy (Deluxe Platinum Edition):

https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Trilo...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1513473929&sr=8-1

He's a Native American flautist (flute player) and on this album he plays some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. If you are looking for something to listen to to help you unwind or drift off to sleep at the end of the day, I highly recommend this album (and check out his other album as well).

This is one of my "go to" albums when I absolutely need to relax and get my mind off my troubles.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There are of course endless ASMR videos on YouTube of all kinds.

25. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I listen to music every night when I'm in bed. Good way for me to decompress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.