And In The End There Was "ABBEY ROAD"--1969--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

This thread has got me spinning my original Abbey Road vinyl. Great album great comments, cool thread. ;)

broshfab4 and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

My Lord the hatred for Maxwell's Silver Hammer is abominable. 79 votes at this point. WOW!!

Hahahaha!!!:laugh:

William Smart likes this.
  3. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Exactly my thoughts. Just like revolver would top sgt pepper if u took away yellow submarine. I can't stand Ringo's songs or voice and Maxwell crappy hammer sucks beyond belief. I rank Abbey road behind sgt pepper, revolver, mmt, rubber soul, white album. Still a masterpiece though.

4. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

As a young 3-4 year old, it was my first favorite song. I named my first cat after it.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Cool!!

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I kinda thought that sentence might be misinterpreted when I first wrote it. I do remember that WLS (for World's Largest Store - Sears) was 890 and CFL (for Chicago Federation of Labor) was 1000 on the dial. I just don't remember where my dial was set on that night back in 1969! :)

And how times have changed...WLS is now talk radio, and WCFL is now WMVP sports talk radio. And the world's largest store is near bankrupcy and a long time ago they sold their iconic Sears Tower, which was once the tallest building in the world (It's now called the Willis Tower and only the 16th tallest in the world).

8. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Just wanted to say nice avatar..... All the fun of the circus !!!

9. William Smart

In the 60s A M radio was king.WABC I think it was in NYC with Cousin Brucey! You could hear Dione Warwick followed by Stepenwolf, Melany, JC Super Star ,CSNY, Supremes........ It was an endless variety. No labels and sub genres. A lot easier, a lot better! Peace

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  10. Joseph LeVie

It stayed that way well into the seventies and I was so excited to hear Bohemian Rhapsody next to bubble gum and R and B and hard rock and movie themes. It seemed pretty magical to me as a kid.

11. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" did bother me at the time it was released. Over the years, I've mulled over what Paul was trying to do. I think it works as a jaded cabaret song from between-the-wars Berlin. (I could imagine Joel Grey singing it in "Cabaret".) Not the kind of thing that fit in well with the rock audience of 1969, or most Beatles fans up to the present.

I've often imagined Alice Cooper doing it, when he's in his "show biz parody" mode.

12. William Smart

It was magic! My sisters are 5 & 8 years older. Always playing Rock And Roll, all the early stuff. I was a sponge. Then when I was going on ten she came home screaming "you gotta hear this. It's from England. I heard the Beatles and that was it. My sister Mary preferred Lesly Gore & Dion, Jan & Dean etc. But the times were changing. Back then you heard British Invasion, Motown, Stax, Philadelphia Sound. One after another! It was amazing to a kid just finding out there was stuff only you liked. Your tastes didn't have to be the same as your older siblings or parents. There was too many choices for that and there was a rennaisance in music for the most of 2.5 decades. And it was beautiful & it was magical! But you really had to be there to understand it.
    Freaking Magic!

PS now I'm waxing nostalgic and it's all your fault! :D gods what a beautiful time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks for sharing your memories.:righton:

14. Joseph LeVie

I apologize!

15. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I agree with this. It's a cool song but doesn't fit with the trip-to-the-Elysian-Fields vibe on the rest of the album. It works great as a single... maybe it should have been a non-album A side. (I absolutely hate the Aerosmith version, tho.)

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

2 more votes for Hammer.:)

17. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I like the whole album (except maybe Come Together as mentioned above because I don't think it fits), but the Abbey Road experience really begins for me somewhere around "Because."

What follows is sort of a slow motion, lysergic flashback explosion--a very laid back, post-Summer of Love supernova--that fills infinite space with Beatles fragments. The listener floats thought it all, blessed with rumors about "Polyethylene Pam" here, snippets of guitar shreds there. It's a chance to check in with the ghosts of those characters from Rubber Soul and Revolver (and Arthur... and Between the Buttons...), and here they are, replaying for eternity all of their concerns, both eccentric and trivial. And in the end here's The Beatles, playing together for you and raising a smile, one last time from the Beyond. Abbey Road is a field recording of death and the afterlife.

Another thing about Abbey Road: everyone always talks about the Beatles reunion that never happened. Well, it did happen, and Abbey Road was it. The Beatles were long dead when this record was made, and it's one of the reasons why the album is so sad and so sublime.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Well put. Excellent comment.

19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Call me crazy, but I've always loved Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I've never understood the hate for it.

20. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I listen to each of the Beatles albums at least once a year. But I pull a few out more frequently - Yellow Submarine, the White Album, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.

Abbey Road is wonderful. And yet, a bit different than the others. Hard to describe - it just has its own interesting magic.

When it came out, everyone in my grade school was talking about the secret track at the end.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  21. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

"Maxwell" should have maybe been made to just a B-side and Paul could have done "Come And Get It" on Abbey Road instead.

Psychedelic Good Trip and 2141 like this.
  22. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I wasn't a big fan of Maxwell's Silver Hammer but it really grew on me and I like it a lot now. It lightens the mood after a serious song such as George Harrison's Something. I don't think the album would be better if it had something else on it. I've only heard "Come and Get it" on Anthology 3 but I don't think it's up to shape to be on Abbey Road, maybe if they had made it at a time where Paul would be more likely to let the rest of the band shape it up for him. I just can't help but think people who hate on Maxwell are just a little bit too snobbish about it because it's not deep or it's old fashioned or John called it granny music or something. It's just a fun song, that's all it is.
    It's also got that story behind it of Paul making them play it over and over again until he gets it the way he wants it, it's one of those Abbey Road tracks that you can see them playing in Let it Be which is always interesting.

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not sure it can be old fashioned when it has a Moog which was cutting edge. Anyway I like Maxwell, it's a fun ditty and very well produced. As far as being deep - read somewhere that Paul said it was an analogy for those moments in life where everything is perfect until something out of the blue comes along and it all goes pear shaped.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just got Road playing on the blutooth speaker while on the road.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The best Beatles album. And surprisingly, the best-selling Beatles Cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.