Vinyl record sales 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, more vinyl produced using digital sourcing, or at least a digital step vs. AAA vinyl.

2. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Or both. As in how great my new Beatles mono LPs sound compared to the CDs

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  3. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Thats true and I can't say Ive heard enough to say which one I prefer. I do think if the music was recorded on an analog tape machine than analog should be whats used for the vinyl. I have a few LPs of newer recordings that were recorded digitally, but I also don't have the CD to compare and Im not going to compare an LP with something streaming.

4. edarh

edarh Member

Technically it is flawed if the objective is to store sound accurately.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Which is where the debate comes in. Having compared analog-sourced vinyl with digitally-sourced vinyl, I can tell you there are both good and bad examples. There are a lot of of good to great reissues that are mastered from hires digital transfers of the original master tapes.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The objective is to create something that sounds good. I have many digitally-sourced LP's that sound good. As a person who enjoys music that is where my interest ends.

troggy and e.s. like this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Well, that was the question I asked - Can anyone making these blanket statements give an actual, real-life example?

If not (and so far, it's definitely not), I can only conclude that you're just speculating.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
    e.s. likes this.
  8. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I've probably bought close to 200 lp's this year...mostly used though.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

And out of those "bad examples", I could just as easily speculate that the reason they sound bad has nothing to do with whether they were analog or digital.

Geee! and e.s. like this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Fair comment, although there are some vinyl reissues sourced from CDs that wouldn't have been helped by better mastering. Generally speaking, though, I agree – poorly recorded or poorly mastered records are going to sound bad either way.

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Technically, if you’re not hearing the master tape you’re just jerking around, maaaaaaaaaan.

uzn007, anorak2 and dkmonroe like this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Not doubting it, but I can't think of a single example from my own experience (and I have my share of releases on Sundazed, Plain, 4MWB, Waxtime, Scorpio etc.).

13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

4MWB reissues of Pulp's This Is Hardcore is the one that comes to mind for me. Not sure what they did to that, but it's noticeably worse than the CD. I hung onto it until I got Universal's vinyl reissue last year, and the difference was night and day. Maybe it's just incompetence on their part, but I've wasted enough time on Plain / 4MWB to know their records just sound bad.

14. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Oh, if its one real life example you want regarding an analog sourced LP compared to a digital sourced LP then I can give you one. Joe Walsh - But Seriously, Folks…. I have an original recording that suffered heat damage and replaced it recently with a newer 180 G vinyl. The new vinyl is practically unlistenable. Think of the worst sounding early CD release of a 70s LP and thats what it sounds like. Screechy high end, sterile, painful to listen to. Nice clean vinyl though. On the reverse side, I also have the new Tusk Lp which was also sourced digitally and it sounds amazing. Better than my original vinyl. I thought you were comparing CDs to vinyl.

15. Not totally true. A record that has been really well cut/mastered can sound much better than listening to the master tape.

16. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I heard Fremer say in one of his videos that he calculated all the LPs produced by Americanerican record manufactor and those that ship to America and it was something like 20,000,000-40,000,000 LPs produced. Also Neilson can not keep track of all the used LPs sold, especially those sold at Goodwill or Flea Markets so I am sure it is much higher.

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

My tongue was planted firmly in cheek

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Kyle M.

Kyle M. Forum Resident

Your right too many zeros. Should be 0.00026%

19. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Only a tiny fraction.

Analogue purism doesn't appear to be the main driver behind the vinyl boom. It appears to be a combination of nostalgia, attractive packaging, the bigger album art, exclusive recordings, fashion, marketing etc.

BTW in the 1970s audiophiles were keen on digitally mastered LPs. And that was actually more rational than today's analogue frenzy.

20. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It will be higher quality than a record made from an analogue master, because it avoids the disadvantages of the analogue master tape (hiss, wow & flutter, frequency response), even though admittedly they're not that bad to begin with. That was the point of digitally mastered LPs before CDs came along. Of course when you can have the CD instead there's no point in buying the LP in the first place, not for sonical reasons anyway.

21. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

A CD made from an analogue master will be a near-identical copy of the master tape, which can be extremely good. An LP can't achieve the same.

22. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Actually they used to have car record players in the 1950s.

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well aware, but that's exactly come practice today, is it?

24. What he/she said xx

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I think the most new digitally-sourced LP sounds better than the same digitally sourced cd.The master they use for the cd is more often than not brickwalled to death!! Something you can not do to a Lp master.More dynamic range on the LP now a Days.
    I also think vinyl playback sounds more musical and live but that is impossible to find evidence for (my very subjective opinion).And i do know that the cd is in theory way better than what you can do with vinyl.But that does not matter when still no one
    is using the full potential of the cd media! So i will keep spinning the wax (pressing imperfections and all).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.