Canadian music before 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, enough of this pop-rock stuff, it's time to get real, real gone: here are two short tracks from the first album by audio-visual quartet Intersystems, from 1967.

rgutter likes this.
  2. rod

rod Senior Member

Bob King - 1959

melstapler and John B Good like this.
  3. rod

rod Senior Member

R. Dean Taylor - 1960

Sean and John B Good like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

The follow-up, Didn't Know the Time, which hit in early '68, was not dissimilar but excellent on its own merits:

sjaca and melstapler like this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

This thread would be incomplete without Shirley Matthews' spirited, Bob Crewe-produced Big Town Boy:

I liked this one at the time but I didn't really come to love it until years later.

6. John54

John54 Senior Member

I went looking for Lovedrops by Barry Allen but it didn't turn up in a YouTube search.

So next is the Lords of London (some of whom became A Foot in Coldwater) with their 1967 #1 hit Corn Flakes and Ice Cream:

allbrosca likes this.
  7. John54

John54 Senior Member

It's not correct English usage but it's a great song anyway, the Last Words' I Symbolize You:

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

The first Gord Lightfoot track I ever heard was his excellent 1965 cover of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues by Bob Dylan. Following that was a very lively track called Spin Spin:

9. John54

John54 Senior Member

Pre-Band they were called Levon and the Hawks, and in 1965 they released this catchy track, The Stones I Throw:

I still like this better than anything I've heard by the Band ...

John B Good, bekayne and melstapler like this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Although all of the above are excellent, they don't quite compare to what I think is the finest Canadian track of all time and one of the best anywhere. Its arrangement with strings, flute, organ and harmonica is wonderfully inventive ...

Ronnie Hawkins, Home from the Forest:

Mylene and John B Good like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Canadian legend Smiley Bates released so many great songs and most of his albums and singles are currently unavailable in any format. Give him a listen and you might feel the burning desire to remedy this injustice.

12. melstapler

Canadian legend Jerry Hatton

Another artist I would like to see given the proper reissue treatment by Bear Family Records or another competent label would be Jerry Hatton. During the early part of his career, he performed at most of Canada's premiere country & western venues (at that time) and opened for the likes of famous touring artists such as Ray Price. Jerry married a woman named Debbie in 1974 and relocated to the states. Performing as a husband/wife duo act since 1974, Jerry and Debbie currently reside in New Jersey.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Canadian country legend Jerry Hatton continues to perform and record.

Sadly, most of Jerry's classic material from the 50s/60s/70s remains out of print in any format. CDs issued in the 1980s containing his classic material from the are impossible to find outside of Canada.

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Mylene likes this.
  15. melstapler

The other Gord: Canadian country legend Gordon Wilcox

Sean likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

17. melstapler

Canadian country legend Joyce Seamone from Nova Scotia with her hit single 'Testing 1-2-3,' which was a Gold record.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

John B Good, beccabear67 and Sean like this.
  18. melstapler

Canadian country legend Dick Nolan. From 1965, his version of the country standard 'Truck Drivin' Man.'

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  19. melstapler

The Fabulous Rodgers Brothers featuring Hank Rodgers. This enjoyable LP is from 1963

John B Good and Sean like this.
  20. melstapler

Canadian country legend Buddy Reynolds

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Awesome, never heard of this before!

melstapler likes this.
  22. melstapler

In addition to his career as an artist, Canadian country legend Wally Traugott was the pride of Ontario and became a respected mastering engineer who retired from Capitol in 1996 and perished in 2010. Traugott mastered countless albums for a wide range of mainstream artists such as The Beatles, Beach Boys, Boston, George Harrison, Barry Manilow, Willie Nelson, Julio Iglesias, Barbra Streisand, Duran Duran, Paul McCartney/Wings, Juice Newton and so many others. Talk about an audiophile's dear friend!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Essential Wally Traugott masterings

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    John B Good, Sean and bekayne like this.
  23. melstapler

Hank MacDonald was born in Nova Scotia in 1926. MacDonald was inducted into the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008.

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

and

beccabear67 and melstapler like this.
  25. melstapler

Hank Rivers aka Hank LaRiviere was a Canadian country legend born in 1917 and perished in 1996.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.