Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Must be lonely for Mark Hamill. The only original cast member left (with the exception of Anthony Daniels playing CP3O) now that Han has been killed off and Fisher sadly passed away.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Yes it means that (a) I cannot believe this guy is a "villian" (using the term very loosely) and (b) I wonder if my check has been deposited and (c):

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Laura Dern still such a beauty. Been a long time since Lynch's WILD AT HEART.

Lownote30 and Jamiroquai like this.
  4. daca

Before the press gets to see this, some thoughts:

1. As it is said everywhere, All Things Must Pass, and Mark Hamill will be no exception in the film. I mean he has to come back as a force ghost at some point, right?
    2. However, as Carrie Fisher has passed, I'm sure Diznee will keep her around (for a while longer.) It's not like Princess Leia is Deadpool and knows she is in a movie.
    3. I don't believe this movie is for Gen Xers who grew up with the OT. It is for this generation. Diznee is a business, and they don't care about your childhood, only the current generation's childhood.
    4. I don't care how hard Ben Solo throws his mask at the wall, or who he kills, he will never be a villain in the sense that Darth Vader was. Diznee should realize this and go a different route. But hey, I'm not in charge.
    5. There will be some crazy $hizn!t in this movie. This movie's version of "Midichlorians" + Diznee = Pure Crazy.
    6. I have a very bad feeling about this movie.
    7. Mark Hamill rules. Not necessarily in this movie. But in real life.

[​IMG]

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Why do you waste your time? It's clear you don't like the new series or "Diznee," so don't you have better things to do than to come into a SW thread and trash it again and again and again?

Also, why do I get the impression your post includes potential spoilers?

Rhett likes this.
  6. daca

First, it's my time. If I want to waste it, I'll waste it.

Second I love Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. They have made an indelible mark on me since Star Wars. And Mark Hamill seems like the coolest friend you could ever have. I wish I could have gone to Star Tours or met Mark in person. Maybe one day I will meet him.

Third, I love the Original Trilogy. But as I said, All Things Must Pass. It has taken me a while to come to grips with that.

Four, there are no spoilers in my post. I have not seen the movie. Just my thoughts. Trying to prognosticate. I just take all of the commercials and trailers and assume that they provide complete disinformation. They are designed for one reason, and one reason only, to crate "buzz and controversy." OK, that's two things, but you get my point.

Finally, yes, I despise kylo ren. Worst. Casting. "Villian." Ever.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Motorcity supernaut and enro99 like this.
  7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought Snoke was the 'Real Villain' of this trilogy...........or all of the films.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

My brother, who is a critic based out of Chicago, caught a screening of it yesterday afternoon. Loved it. Said it went in completely different directions than he had expected (in a good way). I refused to allow him to elaborate any further.

Jason Manley likes this.
  9. Jason Manley

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You do realize he's not a fully realized, fully developed "villain" like Darth Vader was when Episode IV came out, right? He's not supposed to be that. It's very clear from Force Awakens what he is, and what he aspires to be, but he's not there.

To treat him like he's supposed to be an equal to Darth Vader is a disservice to the current trilogy, and shows you don't really understand his character or how it's evolving.

But hey, go ahead and yell and scream about it. Despite him. Call him the worst casting villain ever, whatever that means.

Encuentro, Quadboy and Rhett like this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

One of my favorite reviewers - Chris Stuckman gave it an A -.

His non-spoiler review is below:

12. daca

Talking about the actor himself. Adam Driver.

And people in this thread were comparing his entrance in TFA to Vader's in Star Wars. Ludicrous.

Yes I know he is not Vader, yes I know they are developing the character, yes I know he will be the main antagonist in TLJ, and yes I know he will go to the light side in Episode 9. It's going to be a take on the hero's journey. (Which the same thing can be said for Rey.) It's in every episode of Rick and Morty.

And that was supposed to read: worst casting of a villain ever. When people start comparing your looks to that of a cat (literally) exactly how intimidating can you be?

[​IMG]

13. Jason Manley

Avoid the review in Variety, it's apparently riddled with spoilers.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

thanks

15. Jason Manley

Richard Roeper's review. 3.5 Stars. He gave TFA 4 Stars, FWIW.

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

He's kinda cute. Would make a great Roger Waters in a Pink Floyd biopic.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, the reviews are a bit more negative than I expected...

If expectations for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" were inordinately (and perhaps unfairly) high, thank "The Force Awakens," which had a huge donut hole in the shape of Luke Skywalker at its center. Yet even with Luke integrated into the story, the film feels like a significant letdown, one that does far less than its predecessor to stoke enthusiasm for the next leg in the trilogy.
    'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' review - CNN

“The Last Jedi” possesses the same reverence for the galaxy Lucas created, paying homage in all the right places (from the chills we get from John Williams’ iconic fanfare to the new-and-improved walkers that appear during the climactic siege) while barely advancing the narrative. Ultimately, there’s only so much wiggle room Johnson has to play with a property that seems destined to generate a new installment/spinoff every year until we die — which means that however many Death Stars or Sith Lords the Resistance manages to defeat, there will always be more, and no matter how few Jedi remain, there can never be none.
    Variety Film Review: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’

...this latest, and longest, franchise entry has the decided feel of a passing-of-the-torch from one set of characters, and actors, to the next. Loaded with action and satisfying in the ways its loyal audience wants it to be, writer-director Rian Johnson's plunge into George Lucas' universe is generally pleasing even as it sometimes strains to find useful and/or interesting things for some of its characters to do. Commercially, Disney is counting on another haul soaring past a billion dollars in worldwide theatrical box office alone.
    'Star Wars: The Last Jedi': Hollywood Reporter Film Review

But the NY Times review is positive:

...the latest “Star Wars” installment is here, and, lo, it is a satisfying, at times transporting entertainment. Remarkably, it has visual wit and a human touch, no small achievement for a seemingly indestructible machine that revved up 40 years ago and shows no signs of sputtering out (ever).
    ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Embraces the Magic and Mystery. Read Our Review.

And The Wrap is more kind...

...button-pushing at its finest, the kind of manipulation so skillful that you don’t even mind being manipulated. As “Star Wars” changes hands from the old guard to the new, the series remains the gold standard of mass-market popcorn thrills.
    'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Movie Review: Thrills Are Strong with This One

More reviews here:
    ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ review roundup: Questions are answered, rules are broken

Members are reminded to avoid spoiler comments for awhile. Me, I'm not reading any reviews and I'm staying far away from reading any comments beyond "I liked it" or "I hated it."

18. daca

I have no idea what Brian Truitt of USA Today was smoking, but he must have got a hold of some bad rock.

Adam Driver’s performance is the “most magnetic and unpredictable antagonist since Heath Ledger’s Dark Knight Joker.”

Let me know when Driver wins an Oscar for kylo “Ben solo” ren. Or any meaningful critical acclaim.

All I can say, besides I can’t believe that USA Today still exists, is:

[​IMG]

19. marblesmike

OMG!!!! SOMEONE HAS AN OPINION DIFFERENT THAN YOURS!

Stormrider77 and Vidiot like this.
  20. marblesmike

85 on Metacritic, 93% on RT. Most of the reviews are pretty glowing.

Stormrider77 and Vidiot like this.
  21. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I don’t listen to bad reviews. I’m my own person who has his own likes and dislikes. I will pay attention to positive reviews or recommendations. I would rather watch a movie that I ended up not liking than miss a movie which I would have enjoyed.

5th-beatle likes this.
  22. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Don't forget the L.A. Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw as David Gilmour.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Back to TLJ...

Steve Litos, CrazyCatz and daca like this.
  23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

So... I'll go out on a limb and will guess you really, really, really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really,really,really,really,really, REALLY dislike Adam Driver.

Or Perhaps I'm completely misunderstanding you.

NaturalD and marblesmike like this.
  24. NickCarraway

This is welcome news, as movies these days seem determined to "out-grim" each other...

[​IMG]

25. NickCarraway

He was nominated for - but did not win - the 2016 Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Hissy Fit. I kid you not.

And the Saturn (Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy) for Best Supporting Actor.

And in non-TFA roles, three straight Emmy noms for "Girls" and a bucket of awards and noms for Paterson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.