Misfits: "Walk Among Us" or "Legacy of Brutality"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Which is the better album? I'm going to come out of the gate and say "Legacy of Brutality" is far superior.

Nothing wrong with the songs on "Walk Among Us" - just don't care for the sound of the album much or the production.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Legacy.

3. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The better poll would have been Static Age vs. Walk Among Us.
    I think Walk sounds better than Legacy, and has the better, more classic songs.
    Being a comp, Legacy sounds uneven, and has a couple clunkers.
    It's a much tougher call between Static and Walk, however.

4. Baba Oh Really

I hear ya. "Legacy" has a very special place in my heart though... I used to listen to it many years ago while driving to work at 5AM... surreal.

Now - as far as "Walk Among Us" goes - I think my real problem is that those versions cannot hold a candle to the versions on "Collection I" (in my opinion, of course). They are a little "thin sounding" in comparison to the big sound on "Collection I".

jedilips00 likes this.
  5. Baba Oh Really

Also - just as long as we're talkin' ... I never did bother to pick up the official "Static Age" release, because it was included on the box set as a bonus disc...though the stand alone release, IIRC, had some more songs?

6. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I like my Misfits pre-Walk Among Us. It might sound like a distinction without a difference, but to me it's only with Walk Among Us that they go 100% for the ghoul-punk. In the early period, the horror element mixed with more general themes of crazy pop culture and conspiracy theory. I don't know if they were already wearing make-up, but the early records are just more intelligent to me and have a less cartoonish sound. Of course the discography is messed up, for the reasons you mention.

7. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Walk Among Us is one of the best punk albums ever.

8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

it has the unreleased In The Dorrway and a couple of strange studio noises/outtakes at the end.

9. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I'm 100% behind this. I spent a lot of time with Collection I before I heard Walk Among Us and those Collection songs are the definitive versions to me, especially "Astro Zombies" and "Night of the Living Dead" - I actually dislike the Walk Among Us versions.

10. I can co-sign this. I think Static Age is probably their best album - Walk Among Us is good, but the earlier stuff is more street-level rough and lacks that B-movie cheesiness. Both belong in the collection of any self-respecting fan of US punk, though.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  11. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Collection I was my introduction to the Misfits and it was seared into my brain before I ever heard Walk Among Us. I think I also prefer the song versions on Collection over Walk Among Us.

Legacy of Brutality is where I (and many others) first heard the Static Age songs, but I definitely prefer the mix on SA to LoB. But I prefer the remake of "Teenagers from Mars" on Collection to the original (though they really should have kept it paired with "Children in Heat") as well as the mix of "Bullet", which just sounds tougher on Collection to me.

DHamilton and bradman like this.
  12. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Walk Among Us all the way. 20 Eyes, Hatebreeders, Nike A Go Go... all the songs really. Then again, I really like Earth AD/Wolfsblood.

dsky likes this.
  13. GodDammit

GodDammit New Member

'77-'81. After, or around '81, they loose what made them great and really stand out. It often feels like they are trying too hard to lean on the latest trend at that time (hardcore). For sake of comparison, stack up 12 hits from hell next to the ruby walk akong us album, both fast albums, with horror movies as main subject matter, but Danzig doesn't sound like he is trying to force out anger, and the music doesn't sound concerned with any specific genre, it gives itself a chance to breath while being fast.

Speaking of direction of Misfits, if Danzig had competent musicians at that time, do you feel he would of steered the group in that London Dungeon, Halloween 2, Archangel sound that he was brewing with them at the time? I know theres Samhain, but again, too concerned with being angry, loosing melody.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  14. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Out of these two, Legacy of Brutality is my fave. But, I too think Static Age is much better than Legacy. Return of the Fly! Man, what a fantastic track.

The Misfits masterpiece is Earth AD/Wolfs Blood, though. The greatest 15 mins in punk.

15. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Legacy is all remixes of old stuff (mainly Static Age) by Danzig years after the break up. As on Collection II, he re-recorded the parts from the other guys, so it's basically a LP of solo Danzig replaying past Misfits stuff. Collection II even have songs recorded in 86/87, passing up as Misfits outtakes, with no original Misfits on them apart from Glenn vocals.

SammyJoe, punkmusick and patient_ot like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I prefer Static Age and 12 Hits From Hell to Legacy and Walk Among Us respectively.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, that's why I chose Walk Among Us. If Static Age was the choice, I'd have chosen that, because I like the songs better. I've always hated the sound on Legacy, long before I finally got to hear the real versions. Static Age sounds so much better than Legacy and makes a much better album.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  18. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I actually like all the Danzig remixes/re-recordings too. They have a certain dark mood from the Samhain era which I like.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Correct answer: Walk is the better album. Because it is a proper album. Legacy is just a compilation.

My favorite songs are on Legacy though.

20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Can anybody PM me with info on how I could hear 12 Hits From Hell? I would love to give it a listen.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I didn't know that about Collection II. Wow... Living and learning, thanks

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I believe I read somewhere that the German pressing of Earth AD sounds better than the US version for some reason? Does anyone know anything about it? If it does, would it be the same for the 1988 German repress?

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just to be clear, that only goes for 6 tracks on Collection II. Most are the original Misfits recordings.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Walk Among Us!!!!

25. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

"Legacy" for me. It has all the best Misfits songs on it.

Even with the muddy sound. It adds a nice layer of grime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.