Pure Prairie League 2fer Hybrid Multichannel SACD from Dutton/Vocalion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaz

chaz Senior Member

IMO they put Audio Fidelity to shame.

2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

An absolute no brainer at the current price. I will gladly support their efforts in buying a few titles that are curiosities in order to land a home run title for me down the line.

quicksrt, art, Jimijam and 1 other person like this.
  3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I think we have to cut AF a bit of slack here. They did their best with the M/C stuff and they had to deal with US licensing and a bigger corporate structure (well, not that big), but still in the same way DTS stopped making DTS CDs because they did not make ENOUGH of a profit, the AF tally sheet did not support the extra cost for the same price in sales. I know Marshall did his best and was a huge proponent of the surround discs and I am sure he felt (almost) as bad as me/us when the program failed to bring in enough additional revenue to support the additional cost.

We can enjoy what they did and thank them for trying while we praise D-V for moving in the direction they are and support them when we can, the same way we supported the AF effort.

quicksrt, McLover, Bill Mac and 5 others like this.
  4. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

My copy was delivered yesterday. I played the SACD layer this morning and I am very pleased with this purchase. I am very familiar with 'TLH' having bought the U.K vinyl upon its release in 1975. The U.K. Vinyl sounds superb to me and I also have it on a 24/96 recording on my Alessis Masterlink. The SACD is equally good and it sounds very close to the vinyl on my system. It is a superb sounding SACD in my opinion. It is a better recording than 'ITSF' and more dynamic, I think. I enjoyed 'ITSF' also. For the money, this is a mandatory purchase if you like this band. Hopefully as others have suggested, Michael Dutton can secure the rights to 'PPL' and 'BO' for SACD/CD release. My vinyl copies are a bit noisy. Certainly I will be watching duttonvocalion's website for information on future projects/releases. Thanks to the original thread starter for posting this.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Blue Cactus, Beech, Jimijam and 6 others like this.
  5. mraulino

mraulino Forum Resident

does duttonvocalion send shipping notices?
    I ordered the SACD in late July and didn't get any email from them since the one confirming my order...

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

They rarely do. Unless you have chose express delivery, you should be receiving your order three to five weeks after placing your order. It is worth the wait.

Jimijam likes this.
  7. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Agreed. And the Fuller-Eric Kaz album is good too!

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Dutton/Vocalion discs are superb quality, well mastered from excellent sources, and very dynamic and nice sonics. I began falling in love with their easy listening series, and have loved their work. Very excellent company. Who do things the right way.

Juggsnelson, Satrus, fredblue and 3 others like this.
  9. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Just played some of the PPL sacd, which I ordered without having been familiar with the music. I think it sounds great and the music is very enjoyable. What a bargain!

If Vocalion is able to do more RCA quad titles, I would sure like to see the Best of the Guess Who, Vol.2.

10. mraulino

mraulino Forum Resident

11. Two Lane Highway is my second favorite from these guys. Bustin Loose is my first. Glad to see this music getting some attention.

carlwm and fredblue like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Two Lane Highway and Bustin' Out are fantastic albums.

carlwm, Todd W., fredblue and 3 others like this.
  13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I've received the SACD and listened to Two Lane Highway. Good sound, but is it just me that this album is very light weight in the bass department?

art and fredblue like this.
  14. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

Nope, it isn't just you. One of the former members of the band told me the same thing about the bass.

art, fredblue and Dok like this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

Did he mean the bass has always been light on the original album or this SACD release?

16. art

art Senior Member

The stereo layer is great. Incredible separation. Wow

Simon A and fredblue like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Just got this in the mail today. The sound is fantastic. I didn't know either of these albums well but I really enjoyed them. Excellent quad mixes!

18. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

He said the bass was light on the original releases.

Jimijam, Simon A and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

It is a bit light but not to the point of where it is non existent. I'm a bass player though so my ears might just pick it up a bit more because I usually focus on the bass lines quite a bit. It's never high enough in the mix for me:D

Todd W., fredblue and Simon A like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Just listened to this title this afternoon. Lovely sound just like peak period RCA Nashville should sound. I'm not sure it's a Nashville recording but it that the RCA quality.

Sounded warm on my slightly bright system so that was nice to know I need no DSP or room treatments, things are fine.

My cat seems to like this PPL SACD too. His ears were perked up and aimed at the front channel speakers and every once in a while he would turn his head to focus on a part coming from surrounds. This cat understands quad surround, or at least appreciates it now and again.

Mastering is nice, smooth and warm.

art, billnunan, Juggsnelson and 4 others like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to this SACD last night. I think it sounds great.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    thestereofan, fredblue and Simon A like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Just got this. Sounds very nice indeed, but boy, the band seems to have some aversion to low end on their records don't they? A remix of the first two albums is badly needed.

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Funny, the same Nez that was so adverse to the extinction of mono jumping into, not just stereo but also quad a mere year and half later. Still gotta love the guy tho'.

24. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This must mean there are other SACDs near reaching their end of life (on D/V) as we know it.

fredblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.