Thin Lizzy album by album thread (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I kinda like Renegade more than Chinatown because of its varied song styles, especially on the second half; Chinatown is good to fair with "Genocide" and "Killer on the Loose" as prime cuts, but its definitely one of the lesser listened within my Lizzy catalog.

apple-richard likes this.
  2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I met John Sykes and Scott Gorham on the One Night tour... sure, it was only the 2 of them...No Phil, Brian or Darren. But I gotta say, John does an amazing job with the vocals...he still plays that gorgeous black Les Paul and Tommy Aldridge is no slouch on the skins.

GodShifter, Pouchkine and SonicBob like this.
  3. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Jailbreak is a very good album, but I don't thinks it's their best. It's the one with the most mass appeal, because of BABIT and The Cowboy Song, which are stone cold classics. But anything from Nightlife to Bad Reputation is going to present a very solid listen from start to finish. I personally like Fighting and Johnny The Fox a lot more than Jailbreak.

4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Jailbreak probably doesn't even make my top five. I think Fighting, Bad Reputation, Black Rose and Thunder and Lightning are all far better albums. If we're counting Live and Dangerous it doesn't get a look in.

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, opinions all over the place here which is a sign of a truly fantastic band. Renegade is a f'n INCREDIBLE album, easily 5 stars in my book. Start to finish masterpiece! The lyrics to Angel of Death are mind blowing! Chinatown also fantastic, possibly 4.5 stars. Thunder I put ever so slightly below these two, although still incredible in its own right. Black Rose, Bad Reputation, Fighting, Jailbreak all elite level albums. Get your hands on some original Lizzy vinyl! Renegade I salute you! RIP Phil

6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

8. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Not a bad studio album in the entire catalog, just different listens for different listening moods.
    It's great to see so many people have many different favorites.
    Some of the albums are close to alike and some are very different, in my opinion they are all great and good listens all the way through.
    Phil could write and sing with the best of em, and the band in all it's lineup incarnations were top notch and brought their's into making the sound and songs even more unique.
    The different sound and changes within the music throughout their time makes them even more interesting and multi dimensional, shows just how great this band was, capable of anything they wanted and they did a lot.
    Long live Lizzy!!

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Chinatown has We Will Be Strong which after all these years and albums has turned out to be my favorite Thin Lizzy song.

10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

That's not a bad opener for the album, it has the same positive feel as Do Anything You Want To from the previous Black Rose set, and Scott and Snowy immediately begin the number with some fine harmony guitar lines that establishes the "pattened" Thin Lizzy sound. Snowy's a fine player in any configuration he's in, but I don't think he was what Lizzy needed, no matter how nice of a guy he was, to progress forward. Then again, some may argue, by that time, Phil and the band had had their day anyways.

11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I’ve been on a Lizzy kick lately wearing out my Collected compilation and reading through both parts of this thread has been a joy. I pre-selected a mixture of red swirls, Drakes, Decca’s and PHCR’s on Ebay for my lovely wife to pick from (father’s day, eh?) so I’m really excited! All I can say is that you guys did a REALLY great job and I might add my $0,2 after being familiar with their albums.
    :cheers:

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well... got em all by now, the debut through Life/Live. Fabulous stuff!!! :thumbsup:

Will post my reviews asap!

13. Mark From Eire

Mark From Eire Forum Resident

I would like to go back to The Continuing Saga Of The Ageing Orphans to add some more addition information.

In the book Soldiers Of Fortune by Alan Byrne, Frank Rogers states that it was contractually it was illegal for Phil to have any new input into how the mixes went and that in the end they decided to pay Phil to redo the bass parts and the drums segments, without Phonogram knowing.

Midge Ure states I just played guitar on the Decca gig to beef up some of the older tracks like, `Things Ain't Working Out Down At The Farm'.

Chris R Mansbridge (trainee engineer at the time) confirms that Gary, Midge and Phil was there but nothing as to what tracks they might have worked on together.

But I have been able to find out that the following tracks feature Gary and/or Midge from the re-masters from 2010:

Things Ain't Working Out Down At The Farm Gary Moore / Midge Ure

Buffalo Gal Gary Moore

Sarah Gary Moore

Honesty Is No Excuse Gary Moore

Slow Blues Gary Moore

Dublin Gary Moore / Midge Ure

Brought Down Gary Moore

When the re-masters were coming out in 2010 by Decca/Universal I asked someone that was involved with the re-masters if this album and The Adventures Of Thin Lizzy was also been re-mastered and I was told that Universal had no interest and that the tracks that was worked on was going to be on the re-masters of the albums instead. Since then I have been them release a few different compilations but no where near as good as this one, I personally believe that it would sell well even as a standard CD release with extra notes from the likes of Frank Rogers, because Phil was involved in it so much.

I have the Japanese release of this album and Vagabond is a different edit to what I have on vinyl and CD, I have 4 different edits of it, the full length version is 04:45 and the Vagabonds promo E.P. version is 04:10 (This one been the one on the UK and Australian release) but on this album it’s 04:23. Plus the original and re-release of the Japanese version has two bonus tracks Here I Go Again and Broken Dreams that is not on the UK or Australian releases.

Pouchkine, slipkid and apple-richard like this.
  14. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

I listened to the Live At The National Stadium DVD again last night and on the Sun Goes Down Documentary one guy from the crew said that after Ireland-UK the band will tour most of Europe the Far East and America.

From what I understand they didn't tour America at all in 1983, any idea why and how it played out?

apple-richard likes this.
  15. goodhumorman

goodhumorman Forum Resident

Lizzy's touring record in the States wasn't great, they weren't the most reliable shall we say and understandably no promoter would touch them in 1983

16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

They seemed to have had a series of mishaps everytime it seemed when they were closer to hitting it in the States. Robbo got his hand slashed in bar fracas the night before the tour with Queen, if I'm not mistaken. Phil was stricken with hepatitis another time during a tour and Gary Moore left the band in support of Black Rose about halfway through. And as you say, not a reliable or stable beast to say the least...

17. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

I think the varying dependency issues precluded the last tour including any US dates...

18. Bitblur

Bitblur Forum Resident

For those who are interested in such things......Scott Gorham was spotted having lunch with Steven Wilson in the Dean Street Branch of Soho House last Thursday.

19. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Supposedly, Phil wanted to do America for the farewell(Thunder and Lightning) tour, but Brian and Scott weren't interested. I think it was more of a case of, "if we haven't conquered America by now, what's the point?"; but I also think that they were tired by that point, despite the fact of John Sykes' joining and upping their game musically with his energy, talent and enthusiasm, it's too bad that he stepped in so late in the game, but at least he's part of the history.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Never thought I'd heard those two mentioned in the same sentence, let alone be hooking up over something. Lizzy doesn't seem like SW's taste in music at all. I guess I will assume it is a friendship type thing rather than a professional meeting of some kind, can't see them collaborating on any music, but that would be cool nonetheless.

Murph likes this.
  21. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

22. Yeah, that's a great song. Chinatown rarely gets rated high as a Thin Lizzy album, but I love it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I find Sugar Blues to be quite compelling also

rock4ev, slipkid and apple-richard like this.
  24. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

There's a lot on Chinatown I like, but the drop-off compared to their previous albums is pretty huge.

slipkid and apple-richard like this.
  25. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.