The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have been exploring 80's hardcore punk lately.

I found a lovely little ditty about how "the only good deadhead is a dead deadhead". :p

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That one sounds like it was an accident, and they just went with it.

In fall of 1969 Black Peter, and later Uncle John's Band, came to inhabit the space that song used to live in. A shame, it was one of my favorite covers.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Put that down, you don't know where it's been! :tsk:

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Scopitone

I have a pretty good idea - and it ain't The Fillmore in 1970.

Honestly, I don't know how I get on these genre-exploring kicks. I think this one may have started with a recent rewatch of the excellent 1983 film Suburbia.

m0thra, bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Bob & Phil happened at Sound Summit in Marin last summer, and then again at Phil's hurricane benefit. But I guess us Bay Area types will always have Bob & Phil as long as Bob & Phil are around. But I might webcast one of these East Coast shows, because they're gonna put a special sheen on it that we probably don't get locally. C'est la vie.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

When you get tired, you can go back to dancing like this:

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

7. Scopitone

No one's nose or arm gets broken in that hippie dancing. :edthumbs:

US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Spinning:

Workingman's Dead MFSL sacd
    [​IMG]

I'll have to do a shootout between my three copies of this album sometime (MFSL, Rhino HDCD, Rhino LP).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    JRM, Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  9. US Blues

Don't forget the Plangent Hi Res. :agree: Which I am now going to have to listen to myself. :cheers:

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Listening to Dean Delray talking to Jay Blakesberg.

Jay took this photo when he was just 16 years old. Pretty iconic. He also did 8month in prison for selling acid

[​IMG]
    Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ, November 24, 1978

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

Jerry & The Wolf = Musical Bliss. :love:

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

You were (and remain) a wise 'head, my friend! It was a lesson learned for me and I pretty much let go of setlist expectations after that. I'm sure I didn't enjoy the Victim as much as you did... and that's a shame! I am loading up the show on my pono for today's ride to and fro, perhaps I will hear things I haven't noticed before.

So, Mr. Blues, how was it that you ended up going ~18 months between shows? At least you were back on the bus!

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  13. budwhite

It's crazy, 18 months is nothing in the real world. But a really long time in Dead land

AC/DC only toured once or maybe twice in a decade, and I never got to see them

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I went almost 5 years, 10/18/84 to 7/9/89....

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what decade was that? ac/dc played shows in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015 and 2016. the 90's though they only played in 1990, 1991 and 1996

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. budwhite

Well, just talking about my country.
    2001, 2008/09, and the next time they were here was a few years ago, by then Malcolm and Brian wasn't with them anymore so I didn't go

Dennis0675 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. US Blues

I'm not sure if I was wise, or simply unabashedly excited to be seeing a show! I saw 8 shows in the first 5 months of '88, 3 of which were really good (16 Feb 1988- Mardi Gras @Kaiser; and 30 April & 1 May at the Frost). The others ranged from "meh," to the night in Hartford when Jerry lost his voice during the set break, and still insisted on trying to sing. Dude, really?

As for the hiatus, I was participating in an educational program that still forms the foundation of my right livelihood. I would not trade that experience for a few Dead shows, especially through much of that time. Plus, the Dead did not visit Colorado between 1987 and 1990. However, the itch returned full bore when my friend called me from a parking lot in Virginia ranting and raving about the second Warlocks show, and the Dark Star performed that night. I got myself to the West Coast pronto.

NorCal, adamos, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  18. budwhite

When I think of Grateful Dead strongholds, the Bay Area, New York state and Colorado comes to mind immediately.

Was Telluride '87 the last one until December '90?

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I have to say this is my favorite Jerry look Era. The too cool shades, the stringy hair show flashes of grey, the black T and of course the wolf. 78 Jerry is where its at for me as far as what I thinking of when his name is mentioned.

20. US Blues

Yes, we had a drought.

In better news I just secured tickets to JRAD at Red Rocks: 16 August 2018. :bdance:

JRM, Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

12/6/89 I:

Shakedown Street, Walkin' Blues, Friend of the Devil, Queen Jane, Jack-A-Row, Just A Little Light, Victim Or The Crime, Don't Ease Me In.

Very solid first set. Nice Shakedown opener. My first time seeing it! Not super jammed out or anything but a nice way to begin the "Earthquake Relief" festivities. A standard Walkin' Blues comes next, some nice Jerry licks but mostly a pedestrian version. A good Friend of the Devil follows and hits all the right spots. Brent, Bobby, and Jerry each go through the instrumental section 1 time only for their solos (Jerry often takes a 2nd go through, as well as Brent and/or Bobby from time to time. Not this time.) Queen Jane is up next and Jerry really takes off on this one, serving up not one, but 2 tasty solos. A Little Light gives Brent a chance to get some spotlight. Nice version here with some interesting opening chord work from Brent, sounding a little bluesier than usual on this one. As we near the end of the set, Mr. Weir tells us where it's at with a rowdy Victim or The Crime. As our own @US Blues has previously mentioned, this is a good one, with an unusual jam at the end, which really is unique and interesting. Jerry lightens the mood with a fun Don't Ease Me In to close the set.

The new Miller 24bit source is quite tasty indeed. I'll be digging into set II on my way home this afternoon. Stay tuned. (I know you will!)

unravelled, US Blues, adamos and 4 others like this.
  22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'm planning (read: hoping) to come back for that!

JRM, trd and US Blues like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Plus it's them as a duo without backing band, which is a new approach as far as I know.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

No backing band? I was unaware. I did see them do the acoustic duo thing for like at least a half hour or so at the set break when Phil & Friends and Bobby (I believe with Ratdog) did a double bill at BGCA on New Year's Eve right before Furthur was formed. It was surprisingly good. Bob was surprisingly good. He was pulling out some good stuff in his lead when they played Dark Star together, or at least teased it. I can't really remember.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

I have a recording of that stuff somewhere. I recall enjoying it. They may have had Jay Lane, or another drummer, for part of their performance.

wavethatflag likes this.